UK theme parks from another point of view!

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:03 pm

Not even that, although the owners are rather rich

colin_p
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:15 pm

Well, I've finally managed to get everything sorted out and I have now uploaded a new gallery of pictures of the Britannia Park/American Adventure railway to my website:

http://www.miniaturerailways.fotopic.net/c404572.html

Let me know what you think - I must get around to redrawing the maps and getting those on line too! Please respect the copyright to these pictures, they are not my own!

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:55 pm

Thats really really interesting. Theres some quality pictures of the park on there too mate.

lets hope the trains get repainted for this season :D

the_j
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:33 pm

good pictures on there reminds me of the park , shows how good there themeing was in places, also sad to hear there removing the shows , that was one of the better parts of the park , so now these are over that part fo the park will probably be left to fall to rack and ruin :evil:

Sazzle

Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:33 am

Just thought I'd let you all know I've had a reply to my letter, some of the more hilarious parts being that the park director (who replied personally!) thinks that Vekoma have gone bust, and Shipley view wasn't built before AA... Wrong.

AA came about in 1987, the year I was born - my parents had lived in my house for 8-9 years beforehand.

I believe Vekoma have developed a Booster Bike coaster for this season? Not exactly bust to me...

Oh, oh!! And... "Throwing money at something does not neccessarily mean it makes it better, take Marks and Spencer for example". Harsh!

colin_p
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:50 am

Just thought I'd let you all know I've had a reply to my letter

Blimey :shock: I am astounded by that! Is there any chance you could get a scan of it on-line somewhere so we can all have a good laugh? Glad they replied, maybe I'll have to get writing myself now...

He is certainly out of touch with the industry news though. Vekoma did actually go under at least once, but were restructured and became a success story again. It looks like the park are not even visiting the trade shows and picking up brochures!
Oh, oh!! And... "Throwing money at something does not neccessarily mean it makes it better, take Marks and Spencer for example". Harsh!

:lol: Harsh indeed, I would love to reply and say "Yes, but at least Marks and Spencer tried to invest some money to see if it worked", or "like yourselves, Marks and Spencer drove themselves into a hole". But I am a sarky bugger at times :roll:

Thanks for everyone's comments on the pictures I recently uploaded to my site, it is a shame we can't step beyond the edges of the photos....

Andy_uk
TT Member
TT Member

Im not suprised

Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:16 pm

Please post up the letter. Have worked at the park for three years, i have met the Director many times (Roger Lloyd) I am not at all suprised about the reply you recieved, he knows f**k all about running a theme park. They need to get rid of him

Anonymous

Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:36 pm

Great photo's colin!

Sarah, park management is, as Im sure you've guessed, a joke!

I've sent you a PM Colin, could you have a check of your inbox (link at the top of the page!), thanks!

Anonymous

Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:09 am

"Sarah-TTF" wrote:
AA came about in 1987, the year I was born - my parents had lived in my house for 8-9 years beforehand.

I feel totally ancient now. I remember visiting the AA on the first day it opened - quite some time before it's official opening. So when me and my mates were on the Yankee Clipper for about 15mins solid (ride operator just let it keep on going), you were just having your umbilical cord cut.

Somebody kill me now.

Sazzle

Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:49 am

Well quite possibly I wasn't even born Shock, I was born July 1987, lol.

Just A Quickie, you seem rather anti-AA, another local perhaps, :lol:. Possibly even someone who read the letter I sent... That is if the guy isn't too humiliated to show it around.

management at the park needs a serious overhaul, fresh blood and fresh ideas to get the juice flowing in the park.

Sazzle

Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:13 pm

This is the letter I was sent from the park, it hasn't been edited in any way. I scanned it using OCR option, all grammar mistakes are on the letter! Seems the letter wasn't thought out at all.. I'm sure you'll be able to spot the mistakes.

----------------------------------------------------

Dear Sarah

Thank you for your recent letter which I read with interest. We receive many suggestions on how to improve the Park, some of which we are able to act upon, others due to a number of restraints (eg financial, environmental, physical) we can not.

We are always pleased to receive comments from our guests especially those that are constructive, such as spelling mistakes, and will rectify or improve accordingly.

Guests that have not visited the Park for some years have commented how the Park has changed and matured. Everyone has their own opinion and it is amazing how many people from all sectors of the community know how to operate and finance theme parks, from ride selection, health and safety, marketing, staffing, planning and the like.

It amazes me how false news travels so fast. We are not trying to deter all teenagers.

Very few are in your words 'disruptive and vandalise, abuse and destroy a happy atmosphere' .All theme park visitors do not require white knuckle rides. They want a happy, relaxing and safe day out and generally if the kids are happy then so are the parents.

I am very aware of the attractions on offer at Thorpe Park but rides such as those you mentioned would create far too much noise especially for the residents of Shipley View! Furthermore who is going to finance these rides? Thorpe Park is part of the massive Tussauds Group and access to funding is more readily available. I would be keen to hear from where you have heard about Ventureworld's investment plans as you are obviously misinformed. Your marketing strategies sound interesting but do you know how to market? I understand that your school/college group may have their views but it is exactly those people who at their ages are likely to progress on to places like Alton Towers, but are very likely to return to the American Adventure in a few years with their own families.

Please note that Flamingo Land has nothing at all to do with the American Adventure. A polite response to your query regarding funding is that investors will invest in projects that are likely to make a return. Different investors invest in various aspects of the economy according to their preference.

The American Adventure was here way before Shipley View was even thought of. Furthermore the land on which Shipley View was built was previously open land and countryside but you still bought a house there! However time moves on and development will continue.

I am very aware of most of the world's ride manufacturers. Some of the larger ones - Vekoma for example have gone bust. You may not like the rides available here however please believe me that a major new ride would not be the answer to all the problems. Just ask some of the major operators especially after the appalling summer weather of 2004.

Beauty in the eye of the beholder. Some guests argued that the Park lacked colour so we attended to that. Inevitably however some disagree.

I hope that most of the issues raised in your letter have been addressed. This industry is not as straight forward as you may think. There are many many issues facing businesses today and if you are able to speak to the right people they will be able to enlighten you. Throwing money at something does not always provide the required result. Just look at Marks and Spencer .

Please contact me if you require anything further.

Yours sincerely
[Signature]
Roger Lloyd
Park Director

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:33 pm

well that is interesting! :D :D
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

the_j
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:11 pm

very intresting letter, seems quite rude towards you. seems like tehy ahve no major investment lined up or new rides then.

colin_p
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:19 pm

I am astounded by the content of that letter.

Reminds me of the film Matilda: "I'm big, you're small, I'm right, you're wrong and there's nothing you can do about it!" (sorry, that film's a favourite in our household!)

Whilst I am impressed by the fact they replied, the whole overtone of the letter and the factual mistakes contained in it almost leave me speechless. I like the fact that despite you informing them you are at college, he blames you for buying a house in Shipley View, priceless!
There are many many issues facing businesses today and if you are able to speak to the right people they will be able to enlighten you.

So here we miss the opportunity for some enlightenment - if the director of the park isn't the right person then who is?! Why are these issues not explained by the park in simple bullet points so we can see the problems?

Sorry RL, I think this letter deserves a job in the fudge kitchen....

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:22 pm

Will you be replying? I think you should :evil:

Liverpoolbill
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:53 am

Hi, just found this forum bout the American Adventure, it's really interesting to see how you feel bout the Park.

What a letter, i can see RL's point of view though. Sarah, You are just a customer to him, no real experience in the field apart from that of a consumer!!!

It seems to me that at the mo the park is at the lower end of the thrill seekers sort of market, but don't you think that if they are trying to be at the top end of the family market it would be good not only for the park but the locals.

Satch

Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:42 am

What an appallingly bad, patronising, small minded and arrogant letter. Sorry, they may be extreme words for the letter, but the guy clearly hasnt done much research into writing cohesive letters, nor into being polite in dealing with people TRYING to help the business. Ah well, maybe his arrogance is to cover up the embarrasment?

But as for
There are many many issues facing businesses today and if you are able to speak to the right people they will be able to enlighten you.
get you, handbags at 20 paces! Maybe he should get some enlightenment also that he needs to consider the business strategies of the park

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:41 pm

Having met good old Roger on one or two occasions, whilst working at the AA I can honestly say, he never came across that arogant! You really thought that someone in his position, manager of what has become a disgrace to the British theme park industry, would be grateful for any advice, suggestions, and at the very least, even if he had no intentions of using them, would reply with a sincere thank you, not an onslaught to your attempts at advice.

And the points he makes about Sarah not knowing much about the operation or marketing of a theme park, honestly, does he? Cause the American Adventure barely market anything, a major new attraction would be a fantastic marketing tool...the best available would raise awareness 10 fold. Plus, surely as theme park customer, what we want to see is what they should be providing?

And with regards to his comments about color, i think what your guests were getting at is the lack of paint, so a general freshen up is all was needed, not Tony Art gone wild on front of what was once one of the best features of the AA (Mount Rushmore)

Come on Roger, admit, you need our help!

selb
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:31 pm

woah that guy sucks ass, he knows nothing about theme parks, otherwise he would see that no one would return there, i havent beent here since i was 15.... and the rides still havent changed that much apart from the JCB waste of money. I only went once or twice and i lived extremly local (ripley). I would never take a family there... Alton towers although more costly is absolutely worth it.

hes an arogant sod

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:26 pm

Agreed, Id never reccomend working there! lol

Also, I was shocked at what I heard today from a friend who plans to go back working there untill she finishes college, that over the next two or three years they intend on removing all the larger rides (missile, nightmare niagara, twin looper, rapids, etc etc) and introduce smaller junior/family attractions and aim the park at a younger market.

This is all well, but there would still need to be a small ranger of attractions suitable for older people, as parents will want rides too, and what about the older kids who are dragged along with younger brothers or sisters? Family theme park, means good selection...for example...across the board... from kids to thrills.

Can anyone comfirm this is a true plan??

If so, its gonna be the final nail in that coffin, and hole is already dug!