UK theme parks from another point of view!

colin_p
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:00 pm

over the next two or three years they intend on removing all the larger rides (missile, nightmare niagara, twin looper, rapids, etc etc) and introduce smaller junior/family attractions and aim the park at a younger market.

Whether true or not (and this may be linked to the rumours a few weeks ago about a change in ownership), I don't think this is the "final nail in the coffin" as many think it would be. The park is clearly failing as a 'thrill' park - whether due to lack of investment or not, it is a simple fact.

So why not re-invent the park as a 'family freindly' park? The assumption that parents want thrill rides in a misnomer, if we take our 5 year old daughter to AA, my wife and I can't go on any of the thrill rides together - so it is hardly a family trip if we end up queing seperately! So we don't take her to AA, we go to Sundown Adventureland instead, where I will happpily admit I enjoy the Tractor Ride and the Boozy Barrel Boat Ride :D As for older kids, why drag them along? They will soon recognise that a family park is not for them...

Look at places such as Paulton's Park or Gulliver's as an example of how to do 'family' - with the right investment and ride selection, it could work for The American Adventure. Look at the park in it's 1987 state, where the 2 drop log flume, runnaway train, and buffallo coaster were the biggest rides. Development at the park has been heading in a backwards direction for a couple of years now, why not revert to 1987 mode and develop from there :?:

Sorry this is a bit of a rant, but I don't want to see the park close for good, I would rather see it develop as a top 'thrill' park, but I understand that may not be feasible (finance/planning regs etc), so why not try it another way? We might not like it, but there may be many young families who do...

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:29 pm

Okay, fair enough, lets give them a chance. Granted, I would be interested to see what they actually have planned, and in what way they possibly could develop the park into a successful family theme park, along the lines of Gullivers. But Gullivers, does have some big impressive looking rides and coasters, i cant remember which gullivers park it is, but one has a large woodie. So AA perhaps shouldnt jump the gun by getting rid of all its major rides.

Rides like the Missile, and perhaps even Nightmare Niagara have seen better days, and rides like Motion Master, Sky Coaster wouldnt fit in with a family theme park. But the rapids and runnaway train easily could.

Thinking about it, your right, it probably wont be the final nail in the coffin, but it would be there last chance at survival. I too, would hate to see them go down for good, but please please please, can we do family theme park with class and credibility PLEASE!

colin_p
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:27 pm

But Gullivers, does have some big impressive looking rides and coasters, i cant remember which gullivers park it is, but one has a large woodie.

Tis' the Warrington park I believe. The Milton Keynes park is still in it's infancy and the Matlock one is built on a hillside! The fact that the park nearest the AA is the weakest of the three (so I believe - have never visited any of them!) could work to AA's advantage with the right development/investment.
Rides like the Missile, and perhaps even Nightmare Niagara have seen better days, and rides like Motion Master, Sky Coaster wouldnt fit in with a family theme park. But the rapids and runnaway train easily could.

Agreed on the state of some of the rides! I too would keep the RMT, it would give the 'thrill' edge without major expense or going too far. The rapids could be too intimidating to under-10s, the scale of the ride and the sheer amount of water would be off-putting. Best replace with a boozy barrel ride :wink:

Anyway, enough conjecture, let's see what happens, probably nothing :roll:

notts nat

Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:09 am

sundown is way better than aa i still enjoy going there especiallly at crinbo :D it is good even for my age

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:50 pm

Well a good idea would be to get some companies to sponsor the rides, they could then remarket the park alot easier, like at thorpe they have the rapids sponsored by Ribenna, surely this would help bring in revenue

Sazzle

Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:21 pm

Yes I do plan to reply, correcting him on many of his false statements, he has tried to make me look a fool - when in fact all he's done is make himself look a complete idiot.

I stated that they are trying to become a family park, but the reply I received says *no, we're not trying to deter teenagers* so.. what are they doing? With the removal of such grand installments, I have no choice but to brand the management as pathetic.

I will include comments made here in my next reply, and I am going to point out none-too-politely that I'm not as dumb as I seem. His own writing is nothing short of illiterate in some parts, and the though that went into it was minimal.

I'm quite appalled at the responce I received, more so to find myself being shot down than anything else. At the start of the letter he says he welcomes criticism - but the entire letter attacks me for giving him positive feedback!

selb
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:05 am

sounds like AA management to me! assholes.. that park could be so much more..

Andy_uk
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:03 pm

For the 2005 season they arnt having as many staff in the catering dept. They have cut the numbers right down from 100 staff in 2004 to just 60 in 2005. To me that is bad. They will never cope with that many. Glad im going to work on the games and not on catering.

fanm
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:03 pm

AA is my local park and it should be snapped up.

In a fantasy world, Tussuards would buy it and do it up, but it's too close to AT, but not close enough to do something like thorpe-chessington. It's a good park with good potential, but with no money.

It used to have an Alien simulator where the motion master is (the film Alien).
Argh! REVISION

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:32 am

I never saw that

Was it as good as it sounds?

dafyd
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:06 am

"fanm" wrote:

I'm sure it used to have either Terminator or Robocop there as well (before/after/instead of Alien, I can't remember)... it was really good.

I also remember they used to have a big tent where they projected a film from a roller coaster (I don't think it was one of theirs, though) - not an actual simulator - and it made me feel really sick. I was only 4 at the time...

colin_p
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:27 pm

We've been round this before!

If you look further back in this thread we managed to list most of the Motion Master films since installation in 1994, rather than go over it again I would suggest looking back, probably around pages 10-12.

Sazzle

Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:23 pm

And the projected film thingy was Cine 2000, in SpacePort. IIRC the building was SBNO for a number of years, I'm nto sure if it has since been removed.

The Alien film wasn't in place of Motion master - it was Motion Master! The theatre itself is called Motion Master, but the theme of the building revolves around the film currently being shown. Well.. It's supposed to! Aliens is sometimes shown on off-peak days when they can't get the seats to sync in time to the spaced theme rollercoaster.

Does that make sense? :? Sorry, I'm ill again lol.

bigblade40
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:42 pm

its quite funny that this topic is so big that we are rediscussing things that have already been discussed !!!!!lol!!!!

I'm personally not a fan of motion master, not because of the ride (which is not bad) but because it 'eat' half of the best play area in the uk.
bigblade40

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:17 am

Nice to see the pages have been sorted out lol

Well with a park that has not moved on since 1997 28 pages is rather good, and old ground was bound to happen lol

In what year was the helter skelter removed from in front of fort lauderdale?

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:18 am

Just decided to catch up on this Topic.. that letter is awful! Hell even Tussauds are better mannered than that. And thats saying something.

It really makes me wonder how he still thinks Vekoma have 'gone bust' - i do strangely seem to be having these strange times when im pretty certain flamingoland was getting 2 coasters from them. but of course i must be wrong, afterall they've gone bust. :wink:

fanm
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:24 pm

Sorry. 28 pages was a bit much. My attention span isn't that long! :D
Argh! REVISION

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:56 pm

Its an enjoyable read mate

the_j
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:30 am

AMERICAN ADVENTURE (United Kingdom)

Ride Removal Rumors - (2/9/05) I have no way to tell if the following rumor is true or false yet, but we’ve heard from one reader that the park may be ready to remove The Missile, the Vekoma Boomerang coaster and possibly the Nightmare Niagara log flume as well. Anyone know more?

2005 - Nothing known at this time...

just sore this on screamscape , does any one know any more information on this one , would be sad if they did lose any of these as these are all there best rides
:evil:

colin_p
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:12 pm

Ride Removal Rumors - (2/9/05) I have no way to tell if the following rumor is true or false yet, but we’ve heard from one reader that the park may be ready to remove The Missile, the Vekoma Boomerang coaster and possibly the Nightmare Niagara log flume as well. Anyone know more?

Anyone get the feeling that the rumour started on this discussion a few weeks ago? Would hate to think that Screamscape have picked it up from here, or one of our visitors! :D