UK theme parks from another point of view!

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:00 pm

well that dose sound good news, looks like there staying then!

one american adventure theme park planing application, i wounder what that is? wont be anything good i exspect! :D
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

colin_p
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:17 pm

Well I went for a snoop yesterday, and no rides have started beign dismantled, the Pirate Ship is back on it's supports, RMT has received a lick of paint (allbeit a tacky one - red and yellow alternating supports) and there were staff milling all over the place in preparation for the new season.

Phew! Glad to hear everything is still there then! I think it was a rumour only, certainly as far as this season is concerned. Not liking the sound of the RMT, but then again, Mr Lloyd is convinced the park needs brightening up!
one american adventure theme park planing application, i wounder what that is? wont be anything good i exspect!

Er, no! Read Sarah's post again, it was an application for an entertainments license - this is the one that allows them to play music in all areas of the park. The others are for the licensed premises (i.e. alcohol is served) which I imagine have to be treated as separate places.
Don't they have to give some kind of notice of demolition?

Possibly not, it is only a requirement by law to apply for planning permission to demolish listed buildings/structures. As to other structures, I would have thought some sort of discussion might have to take place with the District Council as to what you were planning, especially if no new application was made to replace a major ride such as The Missile. For smaller rides I think they can do pretty much as suits themselves.

Now if they were to try and demolish any of the permanent buildings, such as Wharfside, I would expect they would have to ask the County Council, as landlords, for their consent to demolish - but only because the County Council owns the site!

Anyway, thanks for the report Sarah!

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:32 pm

ah sorry my mistake, :D

Sazzle

Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:01 pm

*Hands .:Adam:. some reading glasses* Make use of them sweetie ;)

Well I'm pretty sure I'd know about any removal of rides - The Shipley View Residents Committee has close links with Amber Valley council concerning American Adventure - it'd be in papers, up on fliers etc.

I have a picture of one of the posters they've put up at the old entrance next to reception stating that they're closed - The Missile is on the bottom of it. Why would they remove the only ride they've got any chance of advertising?

So.. Entertainment licenses aside, nothing new this year! (Apart from Rascal Rocket :roll:)

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:42 pm

"Sarah-TTF" wrote:
The mini JCBs have been removed (whether they're in storage or not I don't know),

Some kind of steel work was being erected near the Santa Anna Halt (station closest to the new entrance).

I also have images of the old Krypton Factor site, for whoever asked me to get them.

I think the JCB's go into storage for the winter, similar thing happend last season.

New Enterance? Have they done something to the cabins or not?

I ask for the Krypton Factor images, Thanks for getting them, are you able to share with us all?

Cheers Sarah

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:17 pm

The notices for planning applications on the reception door have been there since, well since i worked there in 2001 atleast! they were for entertainment and alcahol consumption as previously stated. Dont expect any new arrivals at the park just yet. If there is any, it will more than likely be a small midseason one, as in the last two or three years - depending on first quarter performance of course.

fanm
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:35 pm

The notices for planning applications on the reception door have been there since, well since i worked there in 2001 atleast! they were for entertainment and alcahol consumption as previously stated. Dont expect any new arrivals at the park just yet. If there is any, it will more than likely be a small midseason one, as in the last two or three years - depending on first quarter performance of course.

Can you give us any clues? :? What would it be? :?
Argh! REVISION

Anonymous

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:07 pm

Surely the first quarter is deemed to always be bad, seeing as the park is closed! :shock:

colin_p
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:37 pm

Surely the first quarter is deemed to always be bad, seeing as the park is closed!

Actually the first quarter of the financial year starts in April.... says he dreading the end of the current financial year.... :help:

Sazzle

Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:05 pm

The dates on the application forms are all 8th February 2005.

Liverpoolbill
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:13 pm

I am 100% sure that there will be no missile or nightmare niagara for the 2005 season, as last week a friend of mine who is a season ticket holder received a letter stating the changes which are in progress!!

and i'd just like to add it seems like they are making the effort to transform the park to become a themed family fun park!!!

the_j
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:33 pm

if these cahnges are right itll be a sad season for aa , i thought nightmare niagra was just a water flume , arent these normally rides for family , seams like there removing this to avoid doing the maintence that was described at the end of last season demarded by health and safety :evil:

Liverpoolbill
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:51 pm

forgot to mention as well that according to the letter there are going to be FOUR new attractions at the Park this year!!

As well as an extended season and a refit of the indoor play area!!(i forgot the name).

Anonymous

Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:06 pm

I think we should take this all with a pinch of salt guys.

Theres been hundreds of versions of what might happen next year, frankly, the only primary source is Sarah, who reports no action.

Liverpoolbill
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:13 pm

so why would the park send out a letter, which i have seen, to all it's season ticket holders informing them of the changes!!!!

maybe it's sarah's whos wrong!!

colin_p
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:14 pm

maybe it's sarah's whos wrong!!

Woah there! Sarah only reported what she has seen from her recci around the park. Sarah reported that the Missile was still standing but looking shabby and that the flume was still there and looked like it might have had a repaint. We also had a report some time ago that the third drop of the flume would be refurbished this season - this ties in well.

Is there any chance that you could get hold of theletter to scan in and either upload it somewhere? If webspace is a problem I'm sure someone could host it somewhere.

My Two Cents:

This is my opinion and mine alone, you may not like this, but here goes:

1) Pirate Ship staying this year (previous rumours indicated it may be replaced),
2) RMT repaint/refurbishment complete (train last year, ride this),
3) Log Flume staying - looks to have been painted, and to remove would make RMT look odd in the 'mountain' alone,
4) From the evidence before me, I truly believe that Spaceport might be closed this season, or a good part of it.

Evidence for no. 4?
i) Rumours that Driving School was going and something was happening to the Go Karts,
ii) Missile looking shabby with no effort to repaint it,
iii) General cost-cutting in the park indicates that savings need to be made - why not save on retail, catering and rides by closing off an area. Starbase slide could easily be moved elsewhere in the park if required,
iv) Reports that the park is to become a family fun park - nothing wrong with that, but they won't need the Missile. It would also give space to develop new family rides away from residential areas.

Sorry folks, I hate to be a pessimist but that is how I see it. until the website is on line or leaflets available we won't know :-(

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:36 pm

You have to admit that they could close Spaceport as the area is damn empty apart from the missile.

It would be nice if they moved the ride closer to the rapids as the footprint is small and theres loads of space around there. They dont have to theme it as they dont seem to bother.

Although they only recently refurbed the cafe area in Spaceport!?!?

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:55 pm

if they get rid of there two biggest rides then it will just be the end of aa :evil:

Anonymous

Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:36 pm

I'm having a look tommorow. I'll bring pictures and put them online tommorow evening.

colin_p
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:14 pm

if they get rid of there two biggest rides then it will just be the end of aa

Why? Just because they don't go for the thrill market doesn't mean that it is the end of the park, just as we know it!

The opportunity to develop the park in a different way is there for the taking, just because it doesn't suit the 'enthusiast' community doesn't mean it is wrong. The same community currently (generally) slags the park off because they don't build new rides. I would relish the chance to take my step-daughter, aged 5, to the park, but there is nothing much for her to do there - and I'll want to ride the Missile! I'd rather a family park than no park.....