UK theme parks from another point of view!

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:25 pm

Agreed. I would rather see it as well themed and looked after park than it stay like it is

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:38 pm

but by getting rid of rides how do we know they will actually build any rides in the future?

they havent sinse like 1997 or something so whats changed?
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

Anonymous

Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:55 pm

Right... my captioned pictures are online.

http://li.eparkguides.com/gallery

Click American Adventure then click Closed Season.

Everything Sarah said was right - 'cept they seem to have put the Wagons back on, and I couldnt see any action around Santa Anna.

Testing today where Buffalo and High Sierra.

colin_p
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:22 am

An interesting set of pictures there, just a few points:

1) That is not the old Trading Post station, it is the original Augusta Golf Challenge t-off, before it was moved prior to the 2000 season.

2) Alamo frontage has looked like that since 2000, when there was some investment to build the current cafe and shop - this area had previously been stables!

3) Hopefully the red train (No. 1) is having some serious maintainance, it needs it! If not, there is an outside chance it has been sold - but I've not heard anything to suggest that through my railway contacts.

4) Are you sure the 'mobility scooter' was on the tracks? It could be a works vehicle on the adjacent road.

5) The piled up track has been there since the siding was shortened to make way for the tent, somewhere in the undergrowth the old turntable is probably there too!

buggy
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:02 am

"Squiggles" wrote:
That's true. I think it was John Broome went to AA for 2 years, he had a master plan to add 2 more coasters a woodie and a steelie, and turn the park into a round the world themed. However he only added one ride, the v. bad flying island, and then left.

I would think that if AA does go up for sale it'll be Six Flags' stepping stone into the UK. As it's quite a big site and isn't too picky with it planning permission (it's a ex quarrey, like TP is).

im probably going to sound stupid cause i havent read the whole thread, but whatever...

It would be great to see a six flags in the UK, as far as im aware there isnt already one?

colin_p
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:18 am

It would be great to see a six flags in the UK, as far as im aware there isnt already one?

I think this was touched on some time ago, but although it is alleged that Six Flags did look at buying AA, it is thought that they rejected the park on the basis of lack of opportunity to develop it as it would have been difficult to get planning permission for new rides and other developments. Shame really, it would have probably been the best hope for the park.

That was of course before Six Flags pulled out of europe and sold off the parks they did have. There is no chance of a park in the UK now, they have enough problems concentrating on America!

Anonymous

Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:52 pm

"colin_p" wrote:

An interesting set of pictures there, just a few points:

1) That is not the old Trading Post station, it is the original Augusta Golf Challenge t-off, before it was moved prior to the 2000 season.

2) Alamo frontage has looked like that since 2000, when there was some investment to build the current cafe and shop - this area had previously been stables!

3) Hopefully the red train (No. 1) is having some serious maintainance, it needs it! If not, there is an outside chance it has been sold - but I've not heard anything to suggest that through my railway contacts.

4) Are you sure the 'mobility scooter' was on the tracks? It could be a works vehicle on the adjacent road.

5) The piled up track has been there since the siding was shortened to make way for the tent, somewhere in the undergrowth the old turntable is probably there too!

1) Ahhh yes I remmember now, thanks for that!

2) Thanks for the information! I can remmember that prior to this there was a Gladiator World frontage; very cardboardy.

3) I think it's this photo you refer to:
I honestly think the latter is more likely. As I said in the photo - a siding has been removed, that sort of spells out trouble. I did have a look around the top, and a couple of its carriages where by the warehouse, but I dont think these have much value, I dunno, you tell me :P ! They're completely rotten. And on a sidenote - I always thought it was the Black train that chucked out more gunk.

4) Nah I'm only kidding on that one. It's a storage container of some sort. It kinda looked like one at a glance though.

5) Bloody hell! Anyone want to come with me, brute force entrance and have a good dig? No? I'll get my coat.....

colin_p
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:50 pm

I honestly think the latter is more likely. As I said in the photo - a siding has been removed, that sort of spells out trouble. I did have a look around the top, and a couple of its carriages where by the warehouse, but I dont think these have much value, I dunno, you tell me ! They're completely rotten. And on a sidenote - I always thought it was the Black train that chucked out more gunk.

A siding hasn't been removed! The current siding used to go further - right up to near the entrance, with the turntable at the end. It used to be able to hold both trains, then it was cut back to just hold one train clear of the main line, which is all it needs to do. That is where the track has come from! What might be confusing you is that there is a point still halfway along the siding, this has been there since the railway was rebuilt in 1989, it used to be the point for the loop to run-around.

I hope the park hasn't sold the other train, I'm guessing it is in the shed at the top of the hill for repair/repaint, then perhaps the other one will get painted during the season. As I said previously, I haven't heard through the grapevine about anyone else buying it. Out of interest, the carraiges are probably worth £1,500 - £2,500 each, the locos at least £20,000.

Anonymous

Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:13 pm

"colin_p" wrote:
I honestly think the latter is more likely. As I said in the photo - a siding has been removed, that sort of spells out trouble. I did have a look around the top, and a couple of its carriages where by the warehouse, but I dont think these have much value, I dunno, you tell me ! They're completely rotten. And on a sidenote - I always thought it was the Black train that chucked out more gunk.

A siding hasn't been removed! The current siding used to go further - right up to near the entrance, with the turntable at the end. It used to be able to hold both trains, then it was cut back to just hold one train clear of the main line, which is all it needs to do. That is where the track has come from! What might be confusing you is that there is a point still halfway along the siding, this has been there since the railway was rebuilt in 1989, it used to be the point for the loop to run-around.

I hope the park hasn't sold the other train, I'm guessing it is in the shed at the top of the hill for repair/repaint, then perhaps the other one will get painted during the season. As I said previously, I haven't heard through the grapevine about anyone else buying it. Out of interest, the carraiges are probably worth £1,500 - £2,500 each, the locos at least £20,000.

In their current state.... and Im sure I saw two lines there before. Never mind I guess.

How much did AA pay for them in 1987 and 1989?

colin_p
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:15 pm

Not sure! When I asked Severn-Lamb several years ago if they could supply any information on their involvement with the park I was told that the information was archived and not easily accessible. I would though imagine though costings such as these might be seen as commercially sensitive information, i.e. not available!

As a guide, a new, slightly larger Severn Lamb train set was on sale recently for £130,000, so take that back to 1986 prices and you can see why I reckoned the equipment to be worth that much. Good miniature railway equipment holds it's value rather well!

Out of interest, Severn-Lamb actually went into liquidation late last year, due in the main to Disney not paying them in time for the locomotives and trains for their Hong Kong park. Thankfully they have restuctured and are now trading on a smaller scale - other companies have been less lucky. The firm that built Disney's original Paris trains went bust for the same reason - ironically an extra train built later on was built be Severn Lamb under the name of the old company, who they had bought out from the receiver!

Anonymous

Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:07 pm

"colin_p" wrote:

Not sure! When I asked Severn-Lamb several years ago if they could supply any information on their involvement with the park I was told that the information was archived and not easily accessible. I would though imagine though costings such as these might be seen as commercially sensitive information, i.e. not available!

As a guide, a new, slightly larger Severn Lamb train set was on sale recently for £130,000, so take that back to 1986 prices and you can see why I reckoned the equipment to be worth that much. Good miniature railway equipment holds it's value rather well!

Out of interest, Severn-Lamb actually went into liquidation late last year, due in the main to Disney not paying them in time for the locomotives and trains for their Hong Kong park. Thankfully they have restuctured and are now trading on a smaller scale - other companies have been less lucky. The firm that built Disney's original Paris trains went bust for the same reason - ironically an extra train built later on was built be Severn Lamb under the name of the old company, who they had bought out from the receiver!

I suppose with such high value goods, it's crucial payment is made in time.

I believe that Farmer Studios (who did alot of work for Drayton Manor) suffered a similar fate.

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:45 pm

Some excellent pictures mate, Looks like another slack season for us all :(

Anonymous

Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:51 am

Thanks, I'm glad that people appreciate them. Took me an afternoon with the bus ride and then uploading and creating captions for everything. Not that I do all this for the glory. Im not like that.

Sorry, that post wasnt really aimed at you Spark :P . Thanks for the appreciation though.

Liverpoolbill
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:27 am

Brilliant pictures, but i'd have thought they'd have got the workin rides ready before they start to take down the rides which are going!!

Has anyone tried ringing them? that might solve the problem!!!

Anonymous

Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:33 pm

"Liverpoolbill" wrote:
Brilliant pictures, but i'd have thought they'd have got the workin rides ready before they start to take down the rides which are going!!

Has anyone tried ringing them? that might solve the problem!!!

Thanks alot for the praise dude, means alot to me.

Ringing them would probably be useless - admin is as dead as a dodo at the moment.

spark
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:08 pm

"Just a Quickie!" wrote:
Thanks, I'm glad that people appreciate them. Took me an afternoon with the bus ride and then uploading and creating captions for everything. Not that I do all this for the glory. Im not like that.

Sorry, that post wasnt really aimed at you Spark :P . Thanks for the appreciation though.

No worries mate, I am sure everybody who is keeping this thread going more than appricicates the trouble you went to in order to get these :clap:

Anonymous

Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:30 pm

"spark""][quote=""Just a Quickie!" wrote:

No worries mate, I am sure everybody who is keeping this thread going more than appricicates the trouble you went to in order to get these :clap:[/quote] Awww, you're making me blush :oops: . All in a saturdays work, eh?

Sazzle

Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:35 am

You think we can keep this ego trip to PM?

Will, I'd have thought you'd have known better.

Reminder - All posts that contain one word or emoticon will be deleted.

By the way - Admin isn't as "Dead as a dodo", it's just not in reception. The contact telephone number differs at closed season than open.

Sarah

Anonymous

Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:59 pm

"Sarah-TTF" wrote:
You think we can keep this ego trip to PM?

Will, I'd have thought you'd have known better.

Reminder - All posts that contain one word or emoticon will be deleted.

By the way - Admin isn't as "Dead as a dodo", it's just not in reception. The contact telephone number differs at closed season than open.

Sarah

Jealousy is a bitter thing, eh Sarah.

But I agree, best keep this to PM, or email :P .

colin_p
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:47 pm

The contact telephone number differs at closed season than open.

Interestingly I notice that the holding page on the website has an 0845 (local rate) number. This is the first time I've seen this in use. Possibly a sign they want to attract people from further afield.... or possibly not....

My guess it will be a recorded message anyway :google: