UK theme parks from another point of view!

Anonymous

Man dies in Intamin water ride fall

Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:14 pm

http://www.parksmania.it/english-news_n ... _1821.html

Details seem to be very sketchy at the moment though, but it's this Aqua Trax in Seoul.

Williscroft

Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:04 pm

Intamin realy need to look at thier lap bars as this aint funny, to many people have died now and they dont seem to be doing much about it. It would defornatly make me think twice about riding an Intamin ride now, id feel ok with OTSR but would hold on for my life with lap bars.

They make such amazing rides yet their reputation is decreasing each year and before long i dont think parks will want to be putting their money in this comany, i know i wouldnt want to at this moment in time. Poor man :(

Rita 2005
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:20 pm

Wasen't there a similar incident on the Hydro at Oakwood a couple of years ago?.

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:22 pm

Yes that was a young girl who was hurt however.

Gashead
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:24 pm

"titler121" wrote:
Yes that was a young girl who was hurt however.
Am i right in thinking she was killed?

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:27 pm

Yeah, the young girl was killed on Hydro and another rider seriously injured who was kicked in the head as the girl fell past.

stokywolf
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:53 pm

Wow! Yet again ANOTHER death on an Intamin ride. If the Ride host is responsible for this then it shows that Intamin really should do more so that Ride hosts can't let things like this happen! Its Dispicable.
Tavern hall of famer - rockerz my sockerz

timmy1372
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:54 pm

You have to make a ride completely foolproof, so there is absolutely no way anything can happen.

If you have ever wondered why rides break down so often and nothing seems to be a problem, its quite often the systems telling the control computer that something is not correct, like for instance if it thinks a restraint is not secured properly, more often than not its a false alarm with the electrics playing up.

Anyway, in general Theme parks have incredible safety records.

Ketchup
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:15 pm

"Williscroft" wrote:
Intamin realy need to look at thier lap bars as this aint funny, to many people have died now and they dont seem to be doing much about it. It would defornatly make me think twice about riding an Intamin ride now, id feel ok with OTSR but would hold on for my life with lap bars.

Don't get put off Intamin rides are perfectly safe. Apparently this guy was 'drunk' according to an article I read.

To be honest 1 casulty a year? It may be tragic but it's still safer than actually going to the theme park in a car.

You have to feel sorry for the guy though.

Anonymous

Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:16 pm

Another death on a Intamin ride!

Surely they need to raise the standards and see what exactly is going wrong?
They need to seriously look about replacing the lap barswith maybe something safer.

Anyway i don't know, all i can say is i give my condolences to that mans family.

Thom
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:18 pm

I think that these sort of incidents aren't caused by the ride or the operators but by the rider's neglegence. However, if the rides were made more secure with shoulder restraints then admitedly these wouldn't be able to happen.

Here's a picture of the of the cars - http://pictures.rcdb.com/picmax/lotte-w ... ture21.jpg

I think I can spot a lap bar, definatly doesn't look safe condiering the type of ride.

LiquidTom360. :)

Ketchup
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:28 pm

^ Of course there safe do you really think a major company would risk their business, just to manafacture one ride?

One fatality that is considered Intamins fault could seriously dent the companies reputation. Something which has probably happened beforedue to human error.

CGM
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:38 pm

Well just compare Intamin's accident to rides built ratio in the last few years compared to other manufacterers. Either Intamin have been incredibly unlucky or there is somethng wrong with those lapbars. No other manufacterer is having anything like this amount of problems. Intamin need to get their rides sorted because the worrying thing is these are some of Intamin's most recent rides. Of course, it would not put me off riding any but this does seem to be an increasing problem. But I still don't know what LiquidTom is on about, those lapbars look very substantial

Williscroft

Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:58 pm

KI-netic is doesnt matter what state your in, drunk or not, there should be know way of you getting out of the restaints. We cant just say "ahh well its one a year" it should be none a year, people are putting their lives in these peoples hands and it shouldnt be a "well its only one out of how many million" situation.

Intamin are defornatly doing something wrong as theres been far to many accidents on their rides in the last few year. Yes they are very safe things to ride but i have to be honist, i would not like riding an Intamin ride with a lap bar anymore as id just have that thought in the back of my head "what if me or my friends and family are the next ones to be killed because of these these lap bars"

Ketchup
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:26 pm

"CGM" wrote:
Well just compare Intamin's accident to rides built ratio in the last few years compared to other manufacterers. Either Intamin have been incredibly unlucky or there is somethng wrong with those lapbars. No other manufacterer is having anything like this amount of problems. Intamin need to get their rides sorted because the worrying thing is these are some of Intamin's most recent rides.l

But none of these accidents have been Intamins fault. I'll list a few of Intamins previous accidents.

SROS - Six Flags Somewhere - Overweight rider shouldn't of ridden, ride op's fault, this happened later on another SROS due to a similar reason I believe.
Perilous Plunge - Women way over Intamins listed weight limit, ride op error.
Hydro - To be fair, i'm not certain what exactly happened here but I know Oakwood haven't been sued. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wale ... 628856.stm
California Screamin - The crash on this ride was Disney's fault they altered the brakes without Intamins advice.

Out of those 4 incidents none of them were Intamins fault.

KI-netic is doesnt matter what state your in, drunk or not, there should be know way of you getting out of the restaints.

The Flume doesn't have restraints whats to stop someone getting off and jumping out on that, whilst being intoxicated? Infact a complete moron stood up on Splash Mountain at Disney on the drop and ended up killing himself. Roller Coaster at Blackpool I believe doesn't have any restraints, if some fool jumped out of that I bet Blackpool would be blamed. I'm amazed a serious accident hasn't happened on the Wild Mouse there yet.

We cant just say "ahh well its one a year" it should be none a year, people are putting their lives in these peoples hands and it shouldnt be a "well its only one out of how many million" situation.

Agreed all these casulties are tragic, but all of them have been the fault of the park or the rider, not Intamin. If you do exactly as the ride rules say you should be fine. To be fair with you park's need better ride op's if you employ people with a brain far less accidents would happen.

themeparkfreak
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:33 pm

I hope they do over-head restraints for Stealth, cause if not, after reading that and other accidents, I gonna be holding on for dear life

CGM
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:35 pm

With all of these weight issues though, surely there should be quite a large safety margin. Furthermore, I'll bet that a few people have been overweight with Intamin's OTSRs and other manufacterer's lapbars and nothing has happened with the ride. Quite frankly, if a restraint can't handle a rider over the listed weight limit then I'm not sure if it should carry people within the weight limit. If I was in charge of a ride company, I wouldn't let a restraint go into operation unless it could take 4 or 5 times the required strain

Anonymous

Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:35 pm

I gotta agree with KI-netic. Although I must say this is still not good for Intamin, it is the fault of the park/ride all of the time. But, is it just coincidence that these accidents always happen on Intamin rides, and never B&M's?

There was that overweight woman who stood up at the top of Perilous Plunge's drop, Hayley Williams was killed on Hydro in 2004, and the incident with Superman: Ride of Steel.

I think Intamin's rides need to be more failsafe, to be honest.

Williscroft

Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:16 pm

Thats the point i was also trying to make, i agree with what KI-netic is saying and i do agree that it hasnt been down to Intamins fault, they have rules written with their rides and if staff or riders take no notice of them its their fault but like Kaycee said, i think they should be made failsafe so that these things cant happen again as although its not Intamins fault it no giving them a great reputation.

I think it was said that the girl on Hydro at Oak Wood got her coat or something stuck in the restaints meaning it didnt lock properly. I forone now shake may restraints to hell when on a ride with very little holding you in lol