UK theme parks from another point of view!

Anonymous

Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:30 pm

Yeah exactly. I mean, that woman who stood up on Perilous Plunge - how on earth was she able to stand up? A ride's restraints system should not allow you to stand up - lapbars or no lapbars! That's the whole point of restraints - that they restrain you! You should be held rigidly in a sitting position - how has it been allowed to be physically possible for riders to stand up??

AstroDan

Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:34 pm

It's not only Intamin. Last year, a man 'stood up' on Poseidon at Europa Park at the top of one of the lift hills before managing to push his bar out and jumping out, falling to his death. This ride is a Mack Watercoaster.

Anonymous

Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:53 pm

Gawd. He obviously had a death wish. But it is mostly Intamin. While the incidents are not directly their fault, it shouldn't be allowed to happen.

timmy1372
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:18 pm

Rides, all including Intamin are the safest they have ever been, to the point where some rides are shut down without any fatalaties at all because the cost of updating an old ride is too high, like the long running Black Hole lets not forget, with no major injury history suddenly needs more work of some description to reach current safety standards, its the world gone mad.

What everyone has lost is common sense, people assume these days if they can do something, like stand up mid ride, its a safe thing to do, so you all have to be firmly bolted down, which on some rides ruins the sensation completely.

Years ago if you stood up on a ride, mid ride, you were going to fall out, everybody knew that, obey the rules and you will be fine, simple.

It seems to me the safer stuff gets the more stupid we as the public get.

I will state that i'm not talking about any specific event and i'm sure some accidents are ride op/ ride manafacturer error, but we should also take some responsibilty for our own safety even at a theme park.

Anyway i do feel for the families of any accident at a Theme Park, one accident is one too many for any reason.

Also read this its spot on about this subject, health and safety an all.

http://www.s104638357.websitehome.co.uk ... _10_01.htm

AstroDan

Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:37 pm

I totally agree, Timmy. Whilst the guy did fall from Poseidon, generally at that park the staff don't always check each restraint - you just make sure it is tight yourself and if you have a problem you raise your hand. EP have such a fast throughput on their rides it is marvellous! People do simply need to use common sense.

timmy1372
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:51 pm

Exactly, i always check my own restraint if thats at all possible, the more responsibility you take away from the rider the less responsible they will be.

Log flumes are a prime example of something thats been operating for years in its current state but by its very open nature, you are aware that if you stand up there is very little holding you in (if anything) it is possible you could fall out, so you dont stand up, especially on the main drop and you do so at your own risk, i think if the park has given rules for a ride and you dont follow them then the park has fulfilled its duty, you are responsible for following those rules.

Put simply its pretty much the safest excitement you can have, life always has an element of danger but you cant live in cotton wool.

Beaver Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:24 pm

They have been redesigned, the one I operated had the new design on, but they were still too difficult to deal with as an operator. So much to look out for. I think half of the problem is the seats though as they don't have enough lateral support, although some Intamin coasters have had the floor redesigned to help.

It is a shame that parks aren't buying them, but at least loading will be quicker and there won't be any pinning. They almost break your legs on Expedition Ge-Force.

Does anyone here operate a forceful ride with a lapbar? Dragon's Fury or Rush for example? What are the rules for that? Presumably the stomach/knees thing is just an Intamin thing? I also forgot you have to look out for the red tabs on the seatbelts to make sure they are tight enough.

So for each person you check, you have to check:

1) Lapbar is touching their lap, not their stomach. Even if it's locked, they can't ride
2) Seatbelt is fastened
3) That the seatbelt length is beyond the red line
4) That the rider's knees are above the height of the lapbar
5) That their feet are in the blocks on the floor

How does this compare to Rush/Fury etc?

Roz

A post made by Roz Holbrook from www.southparks.org. Roz operated Coaster Express at WBMW for quite a while.
On Drgons Fury it only needs 1 click to register as locked tightly, although on Spinball its 2 clicks. We obviously check that feet and knees are on the riders side of the car but after that there isn't any other checks. It can touch there stomach, it doesn't have to be touching there waste.

So in comparison there does seem to be more time wasted on Intamin restraints as Fury's restraints checks take maximum of about 20 seconds for safety

Posted by Mark 9 in reply to Roz's post.
Bein a Lost City OP and Attendant, Rush is similar, however without half as much fuss as all you had to do! You basically just ensure that everyone is seated, and can pull the lap bar across them, which must be sitting between your thighs and your stomach with nothing inbetween such as bags etc. Riders feet do not even have to be touching the floor. Quite a good lap bar design on the S&S screaming swing, it takes a lot of people by suprise when they first sit in it, but once it locks they seem quite reassured.

Jay

Another reply poste by James F.

So as you can see the T-Bar restraint has a pretty terrible design and it needs some serious rethinking. It's way to complicated for ride ops. The bars aren't even computer checked meaning everything is left up to the ops.

I think on this accident a drunk off duty ride op decided to ride the rides. His fellow ride ops didn't check his bar because they asumed that he would check himself. The ride then left the station and he fell out. If the bars were checked by computer this and all the other T-Bar incidents would've never happened.

Shent
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:52 pm

All new rides built, should be checked by a computer for the lapbars and harnesses full stop.
......The one and only... :sus:

deb
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:10 pm

Regarding the girl who was killed on Hydro at Oakwood two years ago, there was a lot about it in the press around here and I heard a few times that her coat got caught in the mechanism of the lap bar, she tried to pull it free and thats what made the bar come open.
I went on Hydro a year before the accident and felt really safe in the restraints, and as far as I can remember I'm sure we had seat belts on as well, in case of (extremely rare) occurances where lap bars fail - if what was said in the press is true, it wasn't all Intamin's fault, however I agree that although these incidents are rare, they shouldn't be happening at all.
[size=150]Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you\'re up to \":D\"

UkRoCkChIcK
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 18, 2006 1:03 pm

I've just read a recent article on the bbc about Hayley's accident. It said that before the ride went out, the girl who checks the restraints had not given the go ahead for the ride to leave the station. Apparently she had been distracted by something going on in the control room, when the ride left.

Also, someone from health and safety had chekced the ride, and had sat where Hayley had been sitting and with the restraint firmly in place, he was able to get out. IMO on a ride that has a near vertical drop, the likes of lap bars are not suffice, surely they could have seen that happening a mile away. Look at Oblivion for example, vertical drop, and that has over the shoulder restraints, I think thats pretty much common sense.

MostMagicalCat
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 18, 2006 1:55 pm

IMO on a ride that has a near vertical drop, the likes of lap bars are not suffice, surely they could have seen that happening a mile away. Look at Oblivion for example, vertical drop, and that has over the shoulder restraints, I think thats pretty much common sense

g-force and a few other rides have loops and no over the sholder restraints, genraly i would have to say individuals are to blame to the coaster manufacturers, ride opps tend to get payed diddly squat so it would put off lots of good workers, i haven`t realy seen this, a few times but not much, there are pleanty of good operators, but there are a few that you could question.
some one also made a great point about the flume, so easy to get out off, would you have large restraints on that, same with, congo river rapids,catcf, and lots of other rides, if we were to start strapping everone in,because of the few that cant stick to the rules, or bad ride opperators, even misguided parks, a lot of the thrill of the rides would go, g force is great because of the loops and lap bars, im not saying death is justified, but its people in error not the rides.
[

CGM
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 18, 2006 5:23 pm

To think that Intamin are meant to be at the cutting edge of rides and that they don't have computer checked lapbars amazes me. This would make sure that ttrains can't leave the station with an insecure lapbar (or OTSR). Lapbars on a ride of this kind are fine. They just need to be checked very often and used safely.