UK theme parks from another point of view!

LiamC
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sheikra Or Oblivion

Thu May 25, 2006 8:48 pm

Not sure if this has been done but which one do you think is better?
Ive been on both and tbh I do prefere Sheikra, much more excitment and depth to the ride than just a drop and turn!
Your opinions plese!
Liam =)

AstroDan

Thu May 25, 2006 9:01 pm

I don't see how anyone would say Oblivion is better than Sheikra, overall.

However, I would say Oblivion's one thing that is better than Sheikra is that there are only two rows on the cars and that you plunge into a proper black hole - wheras on Sheikra the hole isnt quite so dark. Oblivion is more deceiving also since you don't feel THAT high but the drop is actually more or less the same as Sheikra's.

But Sheikra's massive inversion and that wonderful water feature tip it for me.

We are still very lucky to have Oblivion at AT though - it's one of the most famous rides in the world amongst enthusiasts and scares like no other. Indeed, maybe it scares more than Sheikra? But that I don't know!

LiamC
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu May 25, 2006 9:07 pm

Hmmmmmm, interesting thoughts astro dancer! Have you been on Sheikra?
Its an incredible ride and has far more theaming than oblivion imo. And a question ive always wanted to ask is, what the hell is that ray gun thingy hanging from the celling in the oblivion que when you go in that little house thing?
Liam =)

AstroDan

Thu May 25, 2006 9:09 pm

No I haven't been on Sheikra. But i've seen the POV enough times and lots of pictures - and i've been on coasters of a similar height so I know the excitement that creates.

Sheikra is basically taking the Oblivion prototype to the next level, which was always going to happen.

Sheikra is one of 5 coasters in the world that I want to ride like crazy. :mrgreen:

Williscroft

Thu May 25, 2006 10:48 pm

Ive only been on Oblivion but my mate went on Sheikra last year and has ridden Oblivion many times. She said over all Sheikra was a better ride due to the inversion, water splash and basicaly being a much longer ride.

What she did have to say though is that she perfered the feeling that Oblivions drop gave her, she said it felt like the verticalness went on for much longer on Oblivion and she liked the fact you dropped into a steamy pit. :)

Beaver Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 26, 2006 2:37 pm

One thing I would say is that Sheikra can disapoint Oblivion can't. What I basically mean is when you look at Oblivion you think well it's just a drop so you don't expect anything more or anything less. The ride is actually quite a surprise and is amazing.

I will be riding Sheikra in the summer hopefully and I can't help thinking that it will be disapointing. The drops seem to be the only good part the rest looks like a monorail. Tbh I think it will be a two drop wonder.

It may beat Oblivion due to it looking much more fresh and new and the fact it has that amazing water splash thing that Tussauds need to get on one of their rides.

james0507
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 29, 2006 2:06 pm

i havend been on Sheikra but it looks alot better and includes inversions and watersplash so its alot better!

Thomas
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 29, 2006 3:10 pm

I don't think so i think oblivion looks a lot better even tho sheikra is longer and has the inversion and the water splash thing, but it's not just how it looks it's how the ride feels when you are riding it, my cousin Say's sheikra is good but it just doesn't have the same appeal to him that oblivion does, another thing that makes oblivion great is all the tension and suspense made while queuing. :D

AstroDan

Mon May 29, 2006 10:18 pm

I suppose with Oblivion all your thoughts are focussed into dropping down a Black Hole vertically. With Sheikra you have two drops, which takes the uniqueness out of the first drop. I like water feature though, bigstyle - even if you can't see it when riding!

Nemesista
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:30 am

Sheikira just had an advert on AOL so I went on the website and watched the movies and POVs. it ssomething like what I always said should happen to Oblivon. after the drop carry on into a longer ride.

Initially I was very protective of our Oblivion baby, and I'm not sure was the Shiekera themeing is like/based around but I think Oblivions' rocks (when its not covered in chewing gum and working properly). The black/orange theme is so much better than red, and the first vertical drop doesn't look to great on Shiekera (there are two though, right, the second into a hole?)

I would definately have to ride it to pass judgement (though I'd doubt I'd be going in Florida in the next 5 years!) and it make me smile when it said third of its kind in the world.

Sequels may be bigger and grander, but the original still warms (or more appropriately, chills) your heart. :)

Porsmond
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:32 pm

OK, I have ridden both coasters(Rode SheiKra last year infact) and lemme tell ya, IMHO, I really was'nt that impressed with the ride

OK so we have an impressive looking drop on SheiKra, but in reality, Its exactly the same as Oblivion's which is nearly the same height level as well, Oblivions goes underground anyway which is better than SheiKra's because its just goes over plain ground.
So SheiKra has a lot more to it after that of course, but its still not all that great. That excludes the Inversion though as that was honestly fantastic, I got worried how well B&M could execute the inversion, but WOW they got it spot on and it was so smooth.
So we have a second drop, but BGT brake you to nearly a comple stop before going over, It was still nice to go over straight away without a holding brake, but its actually quite a tiny drop really, but it was cool through the tunnel.
The Splashdown bit is rubbish when you're riding, you cant see anything going on, and it can only be enjoyed watching it really because you suddenly see this huge wave coming towards you, and if you're standing at the end of the splashdown, you get soaked.
The End Helix is pointless, and felt like something B&M just plonked in to finish it.

Also Managed 2 Front Rides, and a back ride, And even riding in the front didnt really do much for me, The main drop was nice, but because it was the same as Oblivion's, It didnt do it for me, Inversion was pretty cool in the front, but the rest was'nt all that. The back seat provided some nice thrills especially down the drop and inversion, but again then the whole ride died down from there.

You might think I am slating SheiKra, but actually I'm not. I dont really want to take anything away from the ride, because it was still a nice ride experience, and for B&M to create an inversion on the design(WOW) but the rest of the ride just doesnt do much, and I didnt really get that much pleasure. I still wouldnt mind one of these rides in my backyard, but it wouldnt make my Top 5 List, and would probably just about struggle to make it into my Top 10(and if it did, It would only be 9 or 10)

To add on further though, BRAVO for BGT to put in a ride like this one still, the area in fits in was all very nicely layed out, and infact when I went, certain things were still being finished, so it probably looks better than it does now when I went, and the General public were absolutly loving it, and going around for more rides, so it certaintly appears its been a success at the park, but then again if you did ride SheiKra before Oblivion than obviously you will think its an awesome ride, and I'm sure that would have been the case for me, and anyone else.

I hope I havent put any of you off to go over to Florida and ride it, because I dont want to give out that impression, People always have different opinions about things and for all I know, you might go out there and love it to bits. I mean when I go back to Florida(Hopefully next year) you certaintly wont stop me from going to BGT and certaintly riding it again.

Rollercoaster 4 Life
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:26 pm

Having been on both SheiKra and Oblivion I would have to say that SheiKra is the better ride (rode it twice last year in May). If I would have to pick out of the drop alone I would say Oblivion, just as it goes underground and it seems to be vertical for longer. On SheiKra's drop it goes vertical for like one piece of track and then starts a smooth bend out into the Immelmenn loop. But for the overall ride I would have to pick SheiKra, because it offers much more than Oblivion does - Immelmenn loop, second vertical drop and a watersplash. Although, Oblivion builds up more tension before the ride and the drop IMO is more intense.
Yesterday\'s the past, tomorrow\'s the future, but today is a gift. That\'s why it\'s called the present.

PSN ID][color=#000000]Bankzy108
Add me if you want!

Nemesista
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:01 pm

Obviously the only real reason Oblivion and Sheikra (which I want to call Shakira) are compared is because of the vertical drop. I think Oblivion wins this battle merely in the sense that that is WHAT it is. It has little else to the ride... the build up is centres around the drop, it's what sells it, along with the hole. Because Sheikra just adds them in means they mean a lot less to the ride.

cstacey
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:08 pm

I've rode both multiple times and IMO Sheikra is the much better ride. The first drop is great and gives slight airtime on the back row, the immelman is ok (better than an overbank turn), the 2nd drop is good although very short and the water splash is a cool feature. You even get slightly wet on the back row!

Oblivion has a great first drop and then before you know it the ride is over and you have to queue for another hour (in peak season) before you can ride again. After Sheikra's drop you have an inversion, another drop, a watersplash and then a crappy helix.

Also, not meaning to sound offensive but people are saying that Oblivions drop feels vertical for longer, it's not even Vertical in the first place :P