UK theme parks from another point of view!

altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Worlds Best Tower Ride

Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:25 pm

I dont know many tower rides so i wont start a poll but, What is the best Tower Ride you have ever been on?

Mine has to be Tower Of Terror, Orlando. Not just a tower ride but a full story thrill ride with an amazing lift shaft, I can remeber sitting at the top with the doors open then suddenly they close and you drop.

Can anybody tell me how high Tower Of Terror is in feet please, i always wanted to compare it to other drop towers.

So Whats Your Best Tower Ride And Why?

iriderides101
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:53 pm

I have a few favourite tower rides. They are detonator extremeley intense. Bounce one hell of a tower ride. Probaly when i go to america the big shot on the stratosphere tower.

Rollercoaster 4 Life
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:18 pm

I have been on ToT (FL), and thought it had good theming and was a fairly decent drop tower. Although, for the height (329 Feet), theming and the different style seating I pick, Hurakan Condor at PortAventura in Salou.

Me on Hurakan Condor on the Stand-up, No Floor, Tilting side. The quality isn't very good, because I took a photo with my phone of the on-ride photo. Plus I was on it at 9:30 at night.

Here is a site that shows off Hurakan Condor http://www.coasterforce.com/index.php?categoryid=364

EDIT: ToT is about 130 Feet. (I think)
Yesterday\'s the past, tomorrow\'s the future, but today is a gift. That\'s why it\'s called the present.

PSN ID][color=#000000]Bankzy108
Add me if you want!

evil cod

Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:29 pm

Big shot, Stratosphere for the amazing view over the Las Vegas strip. absolutely breathtaking!

bigblade40
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:23 am

1: Tower of Terror, florida - words cannot describe how good this ride is, its is my all time favorite ride, anywhere, full stop!!!

2: Tower of Terror, California - number 2 cause again its amazing, but not as good as the original.

3: (Number 3 spot reserved for when Tower of Terror, Paris opens lol)

4: Big Shot, Stratosphere, Las Vegas - Absolutly breathtaking, what a view would swim back to vegas to go on again!

5: Dr Dooms fearfall at IOA - I love the theming on this ride, its ace!
bigblade40

Rollercoaster 4 Life
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:15 am

"evil cod" wrote:
Big shot, Stratosphere for the amazing view over the Las Vegas strip. absolutely breathtaking!

"bigblade40" wrote:
4: Big Shot, Stratosphere, Las Vegas - Absolutly breathtaking, what a view would swim back to vegas to go on again!

Talking in general, the Big Shot is going to be said to be the best Tower ride, purely on the basis of it height. Although, put the 'Big Shot' on the ground, and what do we have. . . another ordinary tower ride. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to ride it or that its not the best tower ride in the world, all I'm saying is that its ordinary without its Stratosphere tower. Face it, anyone can put a Tower ride on a larger tower if they have the money and planning permission. Whereas, I feel (people will disagree) that Hurakan Condor has much more to offer than the Big Shot.

Big Shot has the height, but so does Hurakan Condor when you consider it, how many Tower rides go above 329 Feet - not very many. Hurakan Condor has different ways of riding, such as Stand-up No floor and Tilting, to the just plain Sit down drop. Big Shot has only one way of riding, sitting down. Hurakan Condor also has Theming, and as far as I know, Big Shot has no theming (I know theres no reason for it seen as its not a Theme park).

All I'm saying is Hurakan Condor has much to offer, than the Big Shot does. Many will disagree with me, but its just my own opinion

Regards,
Rollercoasters4Life :D
Yesterday\'s the past, tomorrow\'s the future, but today is a gift. That\'s why it\'s called the present.

PSN ID][color=#000000]Bankzy108
Add me if you want!

altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:25 pm

I've been on Hurakan Condor twice now and both times it has taken my breath away with the intensity and theming but i do have to say that ToT Orlando has to be my favourite, but very closely followed by Giant Drop, australia, The tallest tower ride in the world and it really packs a punch. Love it so much.

AstroDan

Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:13 pm

I don't DO power towers/drop towers, but many people tell me that the tower at Holiday Park in Germany is meant to be one of the best

http://www.holidaypark.de/hp_html/fahrs ... hp?lang=EN

It's not as high as Hurakan Condor mind, so that could be it.

:?:

Liam
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:21 pm

I would certainly say Tower of Terror in Disney's MGM Studios. It's more of an experience, than a ride. Totally immersive throughout!

bigblade40
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:07 pm

Big Shot has the height, but so does Hurakan Condor when you consider it, how many Tower rides go above 329 Feet - not very many. Hurakan Condor has different ways of riding, such as Stand-up No floor and Tilting, to the just plain Sit down drop. Big Shot has only one way of riding, sitting down. Hurakan Condor also has Theming, and as far as I know, Big Shot has no theming (I know theres no reason for it seen as its not a Theme park).

The big shot it not about the theming or the choice of seating etc, it is the fact it is on top of the stratosphere tower looking over the vegas strip! If big shot was on the ground it would be rubbish, but the way they have done it is absolutly amazing, making it one of the best in the world.
bigblade40

Wez
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:05 pm

Scream at Heide Park is excellent. Best one I have done for sure.

There are a few travelling ones on the German circuit that looked the part, but gave a bit of a dodgy ride.

As Tim Westwood would say "big props" to the small drop towers at Tripsdrill in Germany though, they are park built and are the craziest, roughest and most insane things ever. Mad!
The best, most informed enthusiast EVER!!111

Danzaw*nk
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:36 pm

Tower of Terror at MGM Studios purely because the drops are terrific and every ride is unique. Also, because of the way it's like a hotel as are the staff. Not forgetting the whole story behind it. Also, the views from the top, Blizzard Beach being one. I can relive the ride now :D.

Number 2 would be Detonator purely for the suspense and view of the park.

Dan
:D
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Tower of Terror, Cali. Best themed ride to ever exist.

altontowerskid
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:29 pm

No way, Orlando's version is ten times better. Yer, i would say Cali's version is OK, but after riding a better themed ride in Orlando, it has no chance.

Liam
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:03 pm

The existing Tower of Terrors have another now have a sister, which looks even more impressive! This one is themed as a turn of the 20th century New York hotel as opposed to the traditional Hollywood theme and is located at the fantastic Tokyo Disney Sea.

Type of Attraction: Free-fall ride
Ride Duration: Approximately 2 min.
Vehicle Capacity: 22 persons
Height of Building: Approximately 59 meters
Total Capital Invested:¥21 billion

Background Story:

The History of Hotel Hightower...
The once lavish Hotel Hightower, built by multimillionaire Harrison Hightower III, is the setting for the “Tower of Terror” attraction. Harrison Hightower was a great collector of cultural artifacts, and explored various exotic regions in search of valuable relics to take home. Once back in New York, Hotel Hightower was the adventurer’s favorite place to show off his latest prizes and boast about the exploits it took to obtain them. The somewhat less-than-scrupulous Hightower apparently used whatever methods were necessary to acquire the items he wanted, even at times engaging in outright plunder, according to rumor. Still, the parties he threw when unveiling the latest additions to his collection were thronged with high-profile guests and reporters.

On New Year’s Eve, 1899, during a party he was throwing to introduce a strange statue he had gotten hold of in one of the far corners of Africa, Harrison Hightower III abruptly disappeared on his way to his penthouse. After that night, the hotel was closed, and no one has seen Harrison Hightower since.

After its closing, the aura of mystery and foreboding around the Hotel Hightower has only deepened. However, since there is obvious historical and architectural value to the building, the New York City Preservation Society has nowstarted a “Tower of Terror”tour to allow interested parties a peek inside the hotel. What happened to Harrison Hightower the night of his fateful party? You may find the answer by joining one of the New York City Preservations Society’s “Tower of Terror” tours.

Opens September 4th 2006.
I want this kind of theming in the UK! :(

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:20 pm

I think it's fair to say all of the Tower of Terrors are the worlds best themed rides :lol:. I've only ridden the California version, and it is the best ride I have ever ridden by a long, long shot. It's amazing to think the Florida version is apparently better!

The Tokyo version looks terrific. Look at that theming, magnificent! Why can't Tussauds be sinking rich :P!

Coaster Toaster
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:14 pm

Mine is giant drop at dreamworld australia. I liked it because of the height and you have no idea when you are going to drop plus the views from the top you can see for miles.

A few stats:

HEIGHT
The tallest free-falling ride in the world at 120metres (39 storeys) high Around 400 ft.

EXTREME FACTOR
Free fall time is 5 seconds. The cruise to the top takes approximately 90.

iriderides101
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:40 pm

bigshot it is totaly awesome and intense

scottjenkins
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:30 pm

Two words

HURAKAN CONDOR

Easily!