UK theme parks from another point of view!

AstroDan

TTF Coaster Poll: 2007 Results

Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:32 pm

Between November 2007 and January 2008, TTF conduced its first European Coaster Poll (however, we excluded the coasters at Alton Towers to prevent an obvious result). Here is the breakdown and results:

The winner of the 2007/8 TTF European Coaster Of The Year Poll is, excluding all rollercoasters at Alton Towers, is officially…

Image[

Black Mamba.

This themed B&M Inverted monster beat off some of the worlds finest – including Dragon Khan, Expedition Ge Force and Balder to take the crown. With 36% of the vote in the grand final, it blew many of you away with its dramatic theming, terrain hugging layout and spectacular visuals. You can view the entire top 63 coasters here, and beneath them are the other coasters which didn’t receive ANY votes in the earlier rounds. Thank you for voting, we’ve been going since November 29th and here, nearly 6 weeks later – we have a result. And best of all? We’re just 5 weeks away from the open season at Alton Towers – when you can ride another world class B&M Invert. Nemesis! On the other hand, isn't it time to stand up and say... The Netherlands - everyone forgets them, but together with Germany - they install some beastly rollercoasters, 6 of the top 10 come from those two countries.

Oh, and in case you were interested, there’s a break-up of vote percentage for the final at the bottom of this post.

Thanks again, over and out - here's the top 63 and the wooden spoon winners!

1. BLACK MAMBA, Phantasialand, Bruhl nr. Cologne, Germany.

2. Dragon Khan, PortAventura, Salou, Spain.

3. Rock n Roller Coaster, Disneyland Resort Paris, France.

4. Expedition Ge Force, Holiday Park, Hassloch, Germany.

5. Goliath, Walibi World, Biddinghuizen, Netherlands.

6. Balder, Liseberg, Gothenburg, Sweden.

7. Troy, Toverland, Sevenum, Netherlands.

8. Stealth, Thorpe Park, Staines, England.

9. Silver Star, Europa-Park, Rust, Germany.

10. Die Vliegende Hollander, Efteling, Kaatsheuvel, Netherlands.

11. Colossus (Thorpe Park)
12. Euro Mir
13. Katun
14. Colossos (Heide Park)
15. Poseidon
16. Grand National
17. Nemesis Inferno
18. Stampida
19. Winjas
20. Colorado Adventure
21. Wild Mouse
22. Eurosat
23. Big Thunder Mountain
24. Batman: The Ride
25. Speed Monster
26. Shock Wave
27. Speed
28. Big Dipper
29. Knightmare
30. Tonnerre de Zeus
31. Kumali
32. Megafobia
33. Vertigo
34. Furius Baco
35. Crush’s Coaster
36. Dragon's Fury
37. Trace du Hourra
38. Schweizer Bob Bahn (Europa-Park)
39. Space Mountain : Mission 2
40. Loup Garou
41. Revolution (Bobbejaanland)
42. Atlantica Super Splash
43. Superman
44. Avalanche
45. Roller Coaster
46. Thundercoaster
47. Daemonen
48. Matterhorn Blitz
49. Pepsi Max Big One
50. Vogel Rok
51. Booster Bike
52. Stunt Fall
53. Sky Wheel
54. Velocity
55. Infusion
56. Minetrain Ulven
57. G’sengte Sau
58. Super Splash
59. Millennium Coaster
60. The Ultimate
61. Kanonen
62. Jubilee Oddysey
63. Calamity Mine

All the following rollercoasters scored 0, and therefore collect the wooden spoon!

- Steeplechase
- Turbine
- Wild Train
- Inferno
- Xpress
- Cop Car Chase
- Nessie
- Tornado
- Jetline
- Vampire
- Rasender Roland
- Schweizer Bob Bahn (Heide Park)
- Heisse Fahrt
- Megablitz
- Vilda Musen
- Lisebergbanan
- Spatiale Experience
- Robin Hood
- Rutschebanen
- Typhoon
- Desert Race
- Rage
- Cobra
- Kirnu

GRAND FINAL RESULTS:
Black Mamba 36%
Dragon Khan 23%
Rock n Roller Coaster 14%
Expedition Ge Force 10%
Goliath 9%
Balder 5%
Last edited by AstroDan on Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:11 pm

Was hoping Kahn would win but Mamba is a worthy opponent.

I would like to say also thanks Dan for providing some closed season fun. It's taken you ages to prepare and alot of time has gone into it. So cheers. :clap:

We all know Nemmie would have wiped the place clean. :lol:
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*

Gax
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:15 pm

Deserving winner :)

Thanks very much for setting up this poll Astrodan! I enjoyed taking part and it's interesting to look through the results. There's a few surprises in there.

I need to get into Europe and ride some of these coasters!!

AstroDan

Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:21 pm

I think that what this poll has demonstrated is how lucky we are. In such a small continent, to have such a mass of great rollercoasters. In reality, whilst the USA has many other fabulous coasters, they are often far apart. From London, within 2 hours flying time, you've got some of the best coasters in the world. Had we done a worldwide poll, my money would still be on some of the top 10 coasters still being there.

:)

Green.Wing
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:24 pm

"AstroDan." wrote:
I think that what this poll has demonstrated is how lucky we are. In such a small continent, to have such a mass of great rollercoasters. In reality, whilst the USA has many other fabulous coasters, they are often far apart. From London, within 2 hours flying time, you've got some of the best coasters in the world. Had we done a worldwide poll, my money would still be on some of the top 10 coasters still being there.

Tbh tho alot of the coasters in there only got voted because people have rode them instead of better coasters. I mean stealth couldnt be where it is and nor should Colossus. They have beat far better coaster which is very strange.

AstroDan

Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:27 pm

"Green.Wing""][quote=""AstroDan." wrote:

Tbh tho alot of the coasters in there only got voted because people have rode them instead of better coasters. I mean stealth couldnt be where it is and nor should Colossus. They have beat far better coaster which is very strange.[/quote]

Yes, I agree - but you're always going to get a bit of that. Only the Hawker poll really beats any fanboy-ish tendencies, but even that must have an element of it as it's impossible to eradicate.

Simply put though, I think everyone has voted quite well. At the end of the day, some of the UK's coasters are very good and whilst we may say that Stealth can't be as good as XYZ, it still launches you to 80mph in 1.9 seconds and goes to 205', which not many coasters do.

LiamSAFC

Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:57 pm

Whatever the outcome was, I throughly enjoyed watching this competition unfold, our passion for Coasters around the world goes on, Black Mamba obiously being a worthy winner. Well done to AstroDan for his up-to-date polls and all I say is keep up the good work Asty :D

Kaycee

Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:59 pm

Nice one. :D Thanks for doing this Astro, it must have taken a lot of time and effort!

caffeine_demon
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:07 pm

I think mamba is a deserving winner - it ticks pretty much every box you'd like from a high thrill coaster, - stunningly themed, well paced, intense enough without making you ill, and is exctremely reridable - IMO the only coaster that comes close to nemmy.

Shame to see some really good coasters get 0 votes, but lots of the groups were tough to decide on - Heisse fahrt is great fun, steeplechase is unique, and teh ECC really liked jetline. The real surprise in the no votes list, though, is vampire.

I';m going to have to make a trip to ride troy this year though!

Matt 125
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:45 pm

Ooh, a deserving winner!

Well done Dan on doing this, must have taken a while... I enjoyed voting on the different rounds! :D

Ketchup
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:40 pm

I still think Black Mamba won because, half the people on this forum seem obsessed with the German parks. :P And its effectively NemesisV2

I mean hell, how many people on here have been up to Liseberg to ride Balder! :P

But yeah a deserved winner nonetheless, I would of chosen EGF, Goliath, Balder and possibly Troy over it, but atleast it isn't Stealth!

Anonymous

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:49 pm

Well Done Astro :D

Great Competition
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AstroDan

Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:09 pm

"Ketchup" wrote:
I still think Black Mamba won because, half the people on this forum seem obsessed with the German parks. :P And its effectively NemesisV2

I don't think that's a fair assessment particularly. When you look at some stats:

- Black Mamba is 8th (2006/7) in the world on the Hawker Poll, therefore has major worldwide acclaim regardless of the TTF poll.

- Black Mamba is probably the most deeply themed non-enclosed rollercoaster in Europe, perhaps with the exception of Big Thunder Mountain.

- The second and third placed coasters were not German.

- Expedition Ge Force, a German coaster, is regarded as the worlds best, so you can surely forgive people for voting for it.

- Expedition Ge Force, a German coaster, is actually considered less-good by many TTF members than its billing suggested.

- Indeed only a few members will have ridden Balder. But it still made it past a dozen or more German rollercoasters and finished inside the top 6, which is pretty impressive. Interestingly though, a German coaster, Winjas, also at Phantasialand, beat Balder in the first round - but itself failed to make it past round two! Very few will have ridden Goliath, Die Vliegende Hollander or others - yet they made it through. So the "not being ridden" argument is, in my view, not particularly substantial.

- The German parks are frickin' HOT. :lol:

Anonymous

Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:43 pm

"RitaRocket" wrote:
Well Done Astro :D

I loved voting in your coaster cup and just wanted to say you've inspired me to do my own theme park cup :lol:

So thank you :P

Thanks for the tips, now re-thinking tournement but really great tournement.

Also I think Collossus deserved it's place, being the world first 10 loop coaster and all still good tournement thoughrily enjoyed :D

Ohh Arsenal 0:1 Tottenham,

What a game :D 20 mins gone lol

John
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:47 pm

I think a slight German bias is unsurprising after tipi trouble, though I don't think it has affected the way I voted all that much (my love of euromir excepted).

The final was made up of an extremely impressive range of coasters, all of which deserved to be there. While some British coasters may have come slightly higher than I think they deserve, this is somewhat inevitable as its hard to judge fairly when there are some rides you've been on and others you haven't. I also blame the under-performance of some rides on not enough people voting early on.

Anyway, thanks to astro for organising all this, its been a great way of getting through the closed season - not long to go now!

MostMagicalCat
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:43 pm

Well done astro, Enjoyed This topic and Kudos for the effort, and intresting final board :clap:
[

DanB
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:06 am

Shame Dragon Khan didn't get it. I'm looking forward to riding Black Mamba now in May :)

Thanks Astrodan!

Elgouldo
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:08 pm

A well deserved win for Black Mamba! Glad to see it followed by Dragon Khan which is also a great ride but with it being an open layout as it is Mamba was was a clear winner in the themeing department.

Thank you AstroDan. for putting this on, greatly appreciated. :)

stigzy
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:34 pm

What a good poll. It's a shame some of the old school woodies at Pleasure Beach didn't get any higher up - but oh well! I really have got to get myself over to some of these european parks - they looks ace! Two weeks off in summer, nothing planned yet, hmmm *twiddles fingers* :D!

AstroDan

Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:18 pm

I am shortly going to de-sticky this thread, but before I do and it plummets to the depths of Towers Times, thanks again to everyone who participated and I look forward to repeating the poll from November 2008 when we shall find out the best coaster in Europe for the coming season.

Get Riding!