UK theme parks from another point of view!

Rowe

Re: Your Theme Park Job

Sun May 10, 2009 10:29 am

I'd like to be any of the following:

- Ride assistant
- Ride host
- Performer
- Theme consultant/designer

:) I'd personally like to work at Chessington in the 'ride assistant' and 'performer' jobs.

TB2
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 12, 2009 10:04 pm

Already work at Chessie as a ride operator. Fun job to.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

aidanlandels
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:01 pm

What qualifications would you need for theming consultant / theme designer? I would love to have that job!

Longy

Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:09 pm

After many years of thinking, I'd love to be a civil engineer.
Designing the coasters, and possibly the theming, would be a great job, although it would be very hard!

I love drawing stuff in my free time, and designing coasters would be an amazing job to have!

Failing that, marketing would be a good job!
There are so many different ways that you could market things, and it looks epic!

badboi787
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:05 am

Would love to be either a ride host or operator.

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:29 am

I'd love to be in with theming and coming up with ride concepts, etc... I can't really think of a job that could be as satisfying as creating a fantasy world to entertain people and then just walking around the area once it's open and watching everyone running around having fun.

:)

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:48 am

This is a Job I would have wanted ride maintaince but the problem is I'm colour blind. I did a test at N G Bailey and found it hard seeing the numbers on the different shades of red/green dots. So I got my second choice as a toolmaker and with 15 years experience if I didn't have a house or family I would look to go to work for a company who build coaster/ride track.

When I was still at school I wanted to work at Drayton Manor making sure that everything worked on the rapids,pirate adventure,the cript,the haunting and the jungle cruise.

Pricey ;)
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:39 pm

Dark Ride consultant/imagineer or a flat ride operator would be my first choice think of how evill you could be on Top Spins, And dark ride possibilities are endless so your mind is the limit.

However I would love to be a mechanic on a coaster as well that would be an interesting job!

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:45 pm

I would love to be involved in the management / actual running of the park side of things, if I were to be involved in the theme park industry whatsoever, being in an undoubtedly well paid job which also provokes genuine interest for me as an enthusiast would certainly be a dream come true. :P

I also wouldn't object to spending a couple of years as a ride operative at some point, as I'd find it somewhat enjoyable I believe, but wouldn't consider that as a 'career move', for obvious reasons.

:)

DDCStudio
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:52 pm

To be within the attraction/theme park design industry you don't technically need a qualification if you have a strong portfolio of work and by strong I mean exceptional. You need to be able to draw, not amazingly well, just good enough to produce  communicative sketches. You also need to be confident with adobe creative suite, 3D rendering packages and autocad.
The main skills I have are concept development, 3D design, master planning and communicative storytelling design. The industry is very hard to get into but start small and work your way up.
The reason I gained a BA hons qualification was mainly for the information and techniques I learned upon the course. Knowing this industry well I know that employees look for degrees within:
Architecture (part 1 or higher), interior design, museum and exhibition design, tv and film design and other relevant 3D related degrees. Graphics design is tricky as it is usually focused upon 2D design which cold get you a job within that sector signage etc but a graphics design degree that includes 3D elements would be beneficial.

I know a few of you will think sketching pffftt it's all computer now. Well your wrong, I fell into this trap and it is true. Development is done through drawings and sketches, clients like to see this stage drawn simply because they feel 3D rendered is too developed.
It's all about creating experiences. Your storyline is the key, you have to develop a strong storyline to be ale to have a strong design. Come up with a story, split it up into parts develop thoses parts, brainstorm ideas and you will achieve.

Sorry I went on a little bit but this forum is where it all started for me and I owe you guys a lot, I use to post loads all the time in here yeas ago on a different username.
If you love theming and design just do it!! I thought it was a dream and now it's not it's my daily routine of life.
I'll let you in on a little secret, this industry has more jobs than people able to fill it!!!

Oh. A little tip, not confident about sketching? Get a graphics tablet and use illustrator, a few months and you will be amazing! It's a skill that takes time to learn, so be patient and it will come.

LJ

Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:21 pm

Clichéd I know but a roller coaster "guinea pig"  . "Hey, I might die but I rode a new roller coaster before any of you. HA!" . In all seriousness, I wouldn't mind having a unfavoured job in a theme park i.e rubbish collector, because I'm bad at anything else. For a sort of creative job, possibly an entertainer / ride designer.

HFantasma
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:32 pm

I always wanted to do Photo Operations or Ride Operations. Well I'm doing Photo Ops now so I'm now looking to get involved in Ride Ops shortly!
Next Trip: Alton Towers 16/17 October!

jackgcse
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:45 pm

Front of house and or Guest services for the Alton Towers Resort.

From a young age I always wanted to be like Mr Wardley, however I grew up, and realized there is a reason why there are not many concept designers and that's because there is only one John!

However to work with guests in person to improve and enhance their visit, in any way possible, would be shear joy for myself. The experience and guest to staff presentation has always been a priority of mine, and I would love to make my stamp upon the doors into the imagination of the paying visitor!

I have never really wanted to work as a ride operator, because you don't get enough interaction with guests for a considerable time that is long enough, to enhance and improve the experience, however sorting problems and helping guests, is where I wan't to improve the face of customer service within the UK, which is predominantly poor, in many sectors!
Last edited by jackgcse on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SwEDEN
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:04 am

Would love to be in charge of theming and design for rides and coasters at Thorpe! I would also love to be Lez Cougan, would be a blast to go around telling people the world's going to end and getting a whole load of weird reactions! :P

Queenmaya99
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:08 pm

I'd be a ride tester  :P
______  ___                     
___   |/  /_____ _____  _______ _
__  /|_/ /_  __ `/_  / / /  __ `/
_  /  / / / /_/ /_  /_/ // /_/ /
/_/  /_/  \__,_/ _\__, / \__,_/ 
                 /____/

Wildboy
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:29 am

I would be a lighting jockey for world of colour show.
Enjoying Rollercoasters as part of a healthy balanced diet since 1983