UK theme parks from another point of view!

Nathan
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Hornets Nest Removed

Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:51 pm

From Valley Mania;

Valley Mania can confirm that Lightwater Valley's infamous thrill ride, Hornets Nest, is being removed from the theme park after a torrid 2 years of technical problems and reliability issues. The decision comes following a severe breakdown only weeks after the ride's re-opening following a gruelling maintenance program during the closed season.

The latest breakdown came as a crushing blow to Lightwater Valley, after the park spent valuable time and money on trying to get the UK's only Chance Chaos ride open to the public following 2 years of inconsistent and closure.

Mark Bainbridge, General Manager, spoke to Valley Mania and had the following to say; "Hornets Nest was not the best purchase we've made. The ride came with a lot of hidden faults and problems and after sales service from the manufacturers is painfully slow.

"On reflection and because of the aforementioned, I can now add that we have taken the decision early to withdraw Hornet Nest with immediate effect as other serious technical problems have been identified which would require major investment to rectify. Investment we feel could be spent better elsewhere."

Hornets Nest will continue to be removed in the coming days, with the gondolas and main ram already removed from the site. A decision is yet to be made on whether the park will have a new ride in place come 2010.

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Re: Hornets Nest Removed

Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:21 pm

I've never ridden one either, it was closed when we went.

It's no wonder really the Pleasure Beach's maintenance and safety record is hardly unblemished so it's know wonder Pleasure Land Southport (Where it came from) were quick to get rid of it. I doubt LWV will get any compensation from Mandy. If she won't refund the entrance fee after closing ALL but 2 rides on a week day at 1pm because of rain then Im sure as hell betting she wont refund the 500,000k (If i remember rightly) paid for it.
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*

Nathan
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:42 pm

I don't think it was £500,000. I heard it wasn't all that much.

Anyway, I was told that Lightwater Valley were not impressed at all by the condition of the ride upon arrival in late 2006.

Chance Rides were also left bamboozled when they took a look for themselves following years of patchy and utterly shoddy maintenance work.

DiogoJ42

Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:46 pm

That's a real shame. I've always wanted to try one of these, but when I went to LWV last year it was 'school trip madness day', so I didn't get the chance :(

Spike
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:07 pm

"Mackem Lad" wrote:

Chance Rides were also left bamboozled when they took a look for themselves following years of patchy and utterly shoddy maintenance work.

S&S refuse to look at Ice Blast due the the amount of awful workmanship which has gone into it. No surprise Chance were baffled.
*Honest Cint!*

furie
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:56 pm

I know "Chaos" at Southport spent more time with engineers looking at it than guests riding it ;)

However, They were removed 100% from the US parks due to their poor reliability and... preference to fall off their spindles...

Chance produced a dead duck, and it's rare to even find them traveling, let alone static. They're rubbish anyway - let them die!

LWV had "MUG" in font 89034 when they bought that from PBP
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here

caffeine_demon
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:39 pm

I was lucky to catch it running on my visit last year then, rather enjoyed it tbh...

Spike
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:53 pm

"furie" wrote:

However, They were removed 100% from the US parks due to their poor reliability and... preference to fall off their spindles...

Cedar Point still have theirs. :P

[url=http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/park/rides/thrill/chaos/index.cfm" target="_blank]http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/park/r ... /index.cfm[/url]
*Honest Cint!*

furie
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:03 am

Mugs (in large font).

I read Cedar Fair removed all their Chaos machine after having major "falling off" issues.

I've done the Southport one (a few times but I'd say 50% failure rate) and a travelling one.

I like them actually - but wouldn't buy one to save Kaycee's life! :P
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here

spin-ride-lover
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:36 pm

we have taken the decision early to withdraw Hornet Nest with immediate effect as other serious technical problems have been identified.

like what?

eletrical faults , the rides computer maybe?

Shame it looked like a good ride.

Craig

Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:20 pm

Umm this topic is over 6 months old :shock:. Please take note of the dates on topics before replying to them and bumping them back up the forum without good reason.