UK theme parks from another point of view!

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

What happened to the Village? (an old ride topic)

Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:55 pm

I have been meaning to start this topic for a long time as it might be of interest to anyone that has a love for historic rides.

The Village experience was a small park based around the restoration and operation of Victorian and pre-war machinery.
It was located in Fleggburgh which is just outside Great Yarmouth but meet its demise in 2004 when the site was closed and the attractions auctioned off. The land was sold to develop luxury housing which have still not beeen built :x

Basically as the topic suggests I’m trying to track down the parks main attractions which were all antique rides that had been lovingly restored. This topic might also be good for discussing old attractions and see if anyone else remembers the village.

So here is the basic list:

The Gallopers
The Gallopers was the longest running attraction and the only one to open before my first visit. A classic Carousel with an outer ring of horses (2 people), a middle row of cockerels (2 people) and an inner row of horses (1 person). The ride was originally steam powered but the engine had been converted to electric so the ride could be operated indoors. The engines name was “Who’d have thought it” and the last I heard there were rumours the new owners (unknown) wanted to convert it back to steam.

The Downhill Racer
A traditional Waltzer style ride (no spinning carts) with motorbikes and carriages. Run by a diesel engine, the ride was originally found in a farmer’s field. It was unsold at the first auction but I’m hoping it didn’t end up in the field again.
Just heard that it left the sight in 2008 and might be in a private collection at Le Bouin to Glyn Robinson in France.

The Haunted Conservatory Swing
This is the ride I find most interesting. The haunted conservatory swing is the twin of Blackpool pleasure beaches “Impossible”. Basically this is the original Hex, based on Victorian design and as mentioned above built at the same time as Impossible. Riders sit in a small seat that sways from a metal pipe running through the room. Unlike Hex you walk across the swinging floor to enter the ride.
I unfortunately can’t compare this to Impossible as it has been closed on my visits to Blackpool.

Chair-O-Planes
I think the image explains this one. An original swinging chairs.

The Cake Walk
Unfortunately I don’t have a very good picture of this ride. It was opened in 2003 and is simply a fair ground cake walk. Riders walk down two bridges that sway because of a steam engine motor attached to the base.

Other attractions include a railway, dancing water fountains, several traction engines and a mystery ride. The mystery ride was known as “The Spider” and was in need of massive restoration. Unfortunate it never opened and I only ever caught glimpses of it in the work area. If I find any pictures I will show them but it looked nothing like any modern day ride that I know of.
There were also thousands of Victorian machines including an Organ made by Wurlitzer

All images taken on the 12th of September 2004 (closing day)

If anyone else wants to post other really old rides in this topic then feel free. I don’t think there is an active topic about old rides at this moment.
Last edited by Nightfall on Wed May 05, 2010 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Madzieee
TT Member
TT Member

Re: What happened to the Village?

Sat May 01, 2010 3:34 pm

I've heard that the last two haunted swing rides are the one at Blackpool and one that is now in storage from Southport pleasure land.

ThrillJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 04, 2010 11:11 am

The only other places I know that restore old Victorian rides are these two company's.

Carters Steam Fair
[url=http://www.carterssteamfair.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.carterssteamfair.co.uk/[/url]

And

Fairground Heritage
[url=http://www.fairground-heritage.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.fairground-heritage.org.uk/[/url]
ThrillJunkieUK

bradpeet
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 04, 2010 1:44 pm

I don't know whether these people do the restoration themselves, but they have a good selection of old fairground rides

[url=http://www.folly-farm.co.uk/pembrokeshire/vintage-funfair.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.folly-farm.co.uk/pembrokeshi ... nfair.aspx[/url]

They are not far from Oakwood, too.

James6
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 04, 2010 4:51 pm

There is a very similar ride to the Racer at Black Country Museum, don't know if it's the same but exactly as you described and very old. Awesome ride :P

Possibly a similar kind of memory, and off topic ( :( ),

I loved how the wood creaked every time it went around, and it actually went so fast I had to turn my body so it ended up I was holding on for dear life with my arms, but also creating as much friction as humanly possible with my feet, Oh and add to that like a 5 minute long ride cycle and you've got yourself an endurance tes... I mean winner :) ! Great fun :P
If you go down to the Towers today, you\'d better ride Th13teen. :P

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue May 04, 2010 7:54 pm

"James6" wrote:
There is a very similar ride to the Racer at Black Country Museum, don't know if it's the same but exactly as you described and very old. Awesome ride :P

Possibly a similar kind of memory, and off topic ( :( ),

I loved how the wood creaked every time it went around, and it actually went so fast I had to turn my body so it ended up I was holding on for dear life with my arms, but also creating as much friction as humanly possible with my feet, Oh and add to that like a 5 minute long ride cycle and you've got yourself an endurance tes... I mean winner :) ! Great fun :P
I never realised the Black Country museum had one. I will have a look at some point but I have a feeling it’s not the same one.

Your description reminded me off my first ever ride. I was about 10 years old and decided to ride one of the inside bikes with my dad on the outside. The speed was so unexpected that I fell straight off and my dad managed to catch me while trying not to fall of his own bike. :P
They’re absolutely mental rides.
ImageImage

kemperink
TT Member
TT Member

Re: What happened to the Village? (an old ride topic)

Wed May 05, 2010 11:37 am

the downhill racer is a ark (also called other names) the history of the machine was covered in a 1 hour documentary on bbc scotland a few year ago

cheers

---- Post Info Added ----

"Nightfall" wrote:
mystery ride. The mystery ride was known as “The Spider” and was in need of massive restoration. Unfortunate it never opened and I only ever caught glimpses of it in the work area. If I find any pictures I will show them but it looked nothing like any modern day ride that I know of.

it was a octopus,a few are still traveling.at the auction it was stated that it was not owned by them and it sold after the auction maybe for scrap? the Mystic Swing/Haunted House also failed to sell on the day

this is taken from the auction list-

*THE DOWNHILL RACER
Thought to have been built by Maxwells in 1960 and supplied new to the Crow family, well known Amusement Caterers of the North East. Subsequently to Taylors of Scotland, the ride ended up on the sea front beside Wellington Pier, Gt. Yarmouth for two seasons before being installed on its present site at Fleggburgh. Now with twenty-five two seater wooden motorcycles and five three seater cars, the ride is complemented by the original carved wood outer balustrading and fascia, central paybox and coloured lights in the under roof. Powered by three 110volt electric motors the ride operates at 10 revolutions per minute. A Gardner six cylinder diesel engine electric start powers the Lister electric generator. Undoubtedly one of the most popular “teenage” rides at Fleggburgh.

---- Post Info Added ----

the gallopers are owned by Duncan Price and are traveling made in 1897 by Savage

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed May 05, 2010 12:13 pm

Thanks for all the information :D

I had a feeling the unknown ride was an octopus, but I only ever saw the inner core structure. It is likely it was sold for scrap.

Although the Haunted Conservatory Swing failed to sell it was the only attraction visible from outside the park and disappeared soon after everything else. I have a feeling it was sold for scrap/ in private ownership/ left the country. It's pretty unique and would have been noticed before now if it was still operating.

Oddly the history of the Downhill racers on sight doesn’t quite match the auction lot, unfortunately I have lost the original history. I might have a copy somewhere :?
ImageImage

kemperink
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 05, 2010 12:23 pm

"Nightfall" wrote:
Oddly the history of the Downhill racers on sight doesn’t quite match the auction lot, unfortunately I have lost the original history. I might have a copy somewhere :?

taken off the NFA list

A192 J. A. Crow (Mont Blanc) [60] - Douglas Taylor [ ] (rebuilt as 2 hill Ark) - J Stringfellow [86] - A. Miller [87] - Stringfellow [88] - Alex Hercher [91] - Fleggburgh Village [ ] - Glyn Robinson n/g [08]

its a well known machine,shame it wont be seen again

cheers

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed May 05, 2010 12:42 pm

Excellent, that’s the link.

"kemperink" wrote:
A192 J. A. Crow (Mont Blanc) [60] - Douglas Taylor [ ] (rebuilt as 2 hill Ark)
I think the missing date is the piece that the on sight history mentioned. Apparently the ride was abandoned for ~10/20 years before being re-built. This is just from what I can remember though so I’m going to have to see if I took a picture of the original sheet.
I also remember it being installed at Fleggburgh after my first visit so I might be able to get the year. Unfortunately my collection of park maps was thrown away so I’m going to have to go through my picture archive.

Thanks again :)
ImageImage

kemperink
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 05, 2010 1:02 pm

it was Hercher's that abandoned it,was covered in the bbc doc. very sad story. it was new in 1960 to the crows as a Mont Blanc, the cars are still in scotland somewhere

cheers

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:27 pm

This brings back memories. Thanks very much for sharing this footage.

I have a few old videos like it but very few of them show the information signs in detail.
ImageImage

jodie780
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:50 am

i loved this place went back this year was so upset its gone x

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:11 pm

I went past it recently as well. Thankfully it is a lot better now than it was a few years ago. Back then it was just abandoned, now there are a few houses built on the old car park. While I wish the park was still open the recent development at least make the place looked lived in.
ImageImage

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:14 pm

Those rides are kind of beautiful. The over all project is too small for me but these little rides have got classic looks and are very cute.
I hadn't heard of this till now. Thanks  :D
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

Emerton321
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:04 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ECz4beKtgQ
The video is re-submitted with a different URL,