UK theme parks from another point of view!

bushboy2

Mid-90s Roller Coaster Documentary?

Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:52 pm

Not really sure where to put this but thought this forum would be more relevant than the others.

I'm looking for the name, and even better, a download/stream of a Roller Coaster documentary that would have aired on terrestrial TV sometime in the 90s. I believe it to have been filmed around 1994/1995 due to the content. It featured a very serious look at the roller coaster enthusiast following many groups and people. I remember an interview with Andy Hine (with his roller coaster garden fence) covering ECC/RCCGB (can't remember which he runs) and also following an american club (presume ACE) riding a wooden coaster at kennywood. There was also interviews with a Priest enthusiast and his partner and also with Jeffrey Thompson (of BPB) talking about riding Desperado and instantly knowing he wanted one for himself.

It covered far more, including an indepth look at Steel Phantom and Raptor, along with an interview with Ron Toomer regarding Desperado. Had a fantastic soundtrack too and was a really well put together documentary. Remember looking up at a huge wooden structure with the theme to Clockwork Orange playing. :clap:

So, anyone know what it was called and where I could watch it? Would really bring back some memories!

Cheers

FallenAbyss
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Mid-90s Roller Coaster Documentary?

Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:18 am

I had it on video for a couple of years but sadly cant place my hands on it or remember the name of it :(

I've been trying to remember for a while now so would be eternally grateful if anyone has a link to a copy or simply knows its name ... sorry i'm not much help but just glad someone else remembers it !
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/col_rftl/sets/72157626111847872/\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.flickr.com/photos/col_rftl/s ... 111847872/[/url]

bushboy2

Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:51 am

Same problem here. Found it very hard to find any reference of it at all.

Just a few more details. Also remember an indepth look into the construction of Megaphobia too and interviews with the guys behind CCI, even a clip of the family sat around the dinning table.

shane790_0
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:25 pm

Sounds good and somthing I would like to see too! Lets hope sombody knows what it is and has a link [-o<

Mace Windu
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:00 pm

likewise looking for it as well, and im almost sure that program was called "coaster mania" but looking up that name finds nothing anywhere..

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:57 pm

I was thinking about this very documentary the other day. I remember the interview with Geoffrey Thompson sitting on the beach at Blackpool. The end credits featured a POV of the PMBO with Buddy Holly's Everyday song in the background (meaningless detail I know :P)

Would love to see it again.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Simon Baynham
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:41 am

Hi Towers' Times'ers

Wow! You just prompted me to dig out my old collection of dusty VHSs! I have the programme you're referring to: it is on a VHS together with "The Terror Technicians" and "Themes, Dreams and Scream Machines." Remember those?

The programme was called "CoasterMania," and was aired on BBC2 in 1996. The coaster-riding priest is called Nick Bralesford (wife: Louise).

The programme follows the RCCGB (Andrew Hine etc...) on their 1995 coaster tour of the USA. Tina Hine and Andrew discuss 'coaster enthusiasm,' several members interviewed. Many shots of BPB's rides and attractions... William Geoffrey Thompson on the beach talks about his park and the PMBO. Doris Thompson is interviewed in her Rolls Royce.

Footage of Coney Island, and defunct SBNO roller coasters... Ron Toomer (President: Arrow Dynamics) discusses Desperado (Near, Las Vegas). Tomokazu Yamada (President: TOGO, Japan) discusses Japanese coasters (with footage)... Charlie Dinn (coaster builder/designer) and Denise Dinn Larrick (President: Custom Coasters) discuss their latest project: (constructing) MegaFobia (Oakwood, Wales).

D.i.c.k. (darn that spellchecker/censor) Knoebel talks about Phoenix's resurrection... Harry Henniger (President: Kennywood) lauds his park and the Steel Phantom... Bernard & Phyllis Buxton talk about their observations as they view the building of the PMBO from the comfort of their car.

Closes with a slow-motion circuit onboard the PMBO, with appropriate rider facial expressions! Total length of programme is around 45 minutes.

Unfortunately, 'CoasterMania' was never officially released on VHS or DVD. However, if you would like to view it with a free cuppa, and can make it to Blackpool. You're more than welcome to my flat - bring a pal!

Simon Baynham (Andy Shine's Glamorous Assistant!)

ReZourceman
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:58 am

D.ick Knoebel? Wow, his parents didn't like him.

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:48 pm

Thanks for finding this out, Simon :D Appreciated!

Hopefully someone will upload it to Youtube sometime.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Crofty

Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:24 am

I remember this documentary. I did my first bit of video editing to it when I got a VHS recorder for chrimbo. :lol:

While we are on the subject of old shows, can anyone shed any lights on a documentary following a guy building his own wild mouse coaster in Brean Sands? I rode the coaster shortly after it aired and had a few conversations with the guy who built it back again from around 1995/96. I'd love to see the show or even just get the coaster builders name to see how he progressed. :)

Jordan

Mid-90s Roller Coaster Documentary?

Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:35 am

"Simon Baynham" wrote:
Wow! You just prompted me to dig out my old collection of dusty VHSs! I have the programme you're referring to: it is on a VHS together with "The Terror Technicians" and "Themes, Dreams and Scream Machines." Remember those?

:O

Quite a few of us here have been looking everywhere for Themes, Dreams and Scream Machines! Wow!

Perhaps we could all pitch in for a VHS - DVD converter? ;-)

[Archive]

Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:34 am

If that is the same Themes, Dreams and Scream Machines that has construction footage and concept planning for the Haunted House and Katanga Canyon, then you will be making something of a breakthrough by GIVING IT TO ME.

Or somehow putting it online! :P

Simon Baynham
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:43 am

Hi Towers' Times'ers

Just racking my brains trying to recall the coaster enthusiast's name who purchased, refurbished, built and operated his steel mouse at Brean. I know it too, but it won't come to me - YET!

Themes, Dreams and Scream Machines was never offically released on VHS or DVD, that's why it is not featured on my website of some 600 park books and videos. It follows the likes of John Wardley as he seeks to take advantage of the latest ride innovations... Haunted House!

My offer still stands. If you'd like to view this programme, or any other in my collection. Get in touch. You're welcome to come to my flat in Blackpool to view the VHS! However, if you're REALLY nice. I may even post it out to you. (I only have the one copy though).

Oh, and the Brean mouse was operated by David Pickstone! His name just came to me in a flash of inspiration!

Simon Baynham (Andy Shine's Glamorous Assistant!)

Mace Windu
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:56 pm

if anyone still wants it, i found a copy of it, i cant remeber where i found it, nor right this second what iv actually done with it but i have it sooo....

andyuk200523
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:31 pm

http://youtu.be/l0rE20RdJ30 - Coastermania

http://youtu.be/G2pHlBbmby4 - Theme's Dreams and Screams

Not too difficult to find, I am surprised no-one tried to search youtube for it....

Mace Windu
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:39 am

lol yeh, i tried youtube for ages and could never find it