UK theme parks from another point of view!

smeg_head
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Six Flags New Orleans

Sat May 21, 2011 6:03 pm

One of the casualties of Hurricane Katrina back in 2005 was the Six Flags Park in New Orleans. Bosses closed the gates as a precaution before the hurricane hit - they were never reopened.

5 years on here's some pictures:

http://bit.ly/mddTGQ

seanyboyuk
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Six Flags New Orleans SBNO since 2005 - New Pics.

Sat May 21, 2011 9:21 pm

wow never knew about this!

shame to see some good rides there put to waste!

uk parks should take notice! specially LWV :D

Blizzard
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 21, 2011 9:35 pm

Hang on, so Six flags made absolutely no effort to re-build it & renovate it? How were graffitiers allowed in?
Is this real? :?

Credit To SIMR for the signature & Avatar.

Blaze

Sat May 21, 2011 9:47 pm

It was buried under several feet of water. By the time enough of that had drained away, the damage had already been done. Repairing or rebuilding would be too expensive, as would scrapping it, so until someone comes along with money to reuse the land, it's going to stay there like that. They wern't 'allowed' in, they just broke in like people break into any abandoned site.

Blizzard
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 21, 2011 9:48 pm

"Blaze" wrote:
It was buried under several feet of water. By the time enough of that had drained away, the damage had already been done. Repairing or rebuilding would be too expensive, as would scrapping it, so until someone comes along with money to reuse the land, it's going to stay there like that. They wern't 'allowed' in, they just broke in like people break into any abandoned site.

I bet they had a go at trying to run the rollercoasters! :lol:

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 21, 2011 9:53 pm

Just to add:
The reason they never bothered re-build it was because the same hurricane that caused all the damage pushed the parks target market into poverty. If nobody’s going to come then there's no reason to reopen.

Quite a few of the rides have already left the site and moved to other six flags parks. It’s odd as you’d think they’d have parts stolen or be inoperable due to neglect.

WillPS
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 21, 2011 10:07 pm

The flat rides, I imagine, will be totally screwed. and I'd imagine most of the buildings are now condemned. The roller coasters, if salvagable, would need totally new trains and control systems.

So, at best, you have a slab of concrete and rollercoasters requiring half of their initial cost again - also bare in mind the park hadn't made a profit in its 5 years of operation, and the economic state of the surrounding area hasn't improved.

It's a long shot.

John
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 21, 2011 11:20 pm

Looking at the pictures of the flooded park, you can see why the Batman clone was saved but the other coasters weren't - the Batman rides have an elevated station, so the trains and (most of) the electrical system would have been undamaged.

joshc807
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 21, 2011 11:45 pm

It's so tempting to go to New Orleans, and then break in to Six Flags and try to run the roller coasters :P Although I bet there's no power :(

I hate seeing parks, or anything being left to rot away.

Blizzard
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 22, 2011 4:10 pm

So dont hurricanes hit florida too? So how do parks like busch gardens tampa & the orlando ones prepare for such devestation?

WillPS
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 22, 2011 4:18 pm

"Blizzard" wrote:
So dont hurricanes hit florida too? So how do parks like busch gardens tampa & the orlando ones prepare for such devestation?

Because they don't have ineffective levies.

Wikipedia Hurricane Katrina. It wasn't the hurricane winds that broke Six Flags, it was that they caused the levies (which held back masses of water from the city) to give way, leaving the city and theme park under 20-30ft of water.

Terra
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 23, 2011 2:52 pm

It is a frequent place for theme park enthusiasts to visit. I don't think the security is strongly enforced there either, meaning it is easy to get in to the park itself.

There are lots of videos showing what it is like round the park now. It is very fascinating. There are apparently a lot of crocodiles (or alligators?) in the lake areas there, and I think you can see one later on in one of the videos this guy has taken.

I'd personally love to go there and have a look around. It'd be just like walking around a tatty, abandoned, run down Thorpe Park.. Oh, wait..

Wildboy
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 25, 2011 9:22 am

I appreciate it would cost to money to make the rides servicable again but cmon there are plenty of parks throughout the world that are crying out for a cheap boomerang signature ride. Theres over a million quids worth of ride there even in its current state. I dont know what six flags are playing at by not selling that along with many other items within the park.
Enjoying Rollercoasters as part of a healthy balanced diet since 1983

WillPS
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 25, 2011 9:39 am

There isn't a million pounds worth of ride there. There's a track (hopefully). Its value is whatever the value of scrap metal is at the moment.

Once you get Vekoma/Kumbak to sort out a new electronics system and train, then treated the track (replacing the lower sections, probably) and repainted it you'd be looking at a price not far off a new Boomerang, and certainly well above what an otherwise sound second hand Boomerang would cost on the open market.

Totally uneconomical.

TB2
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 25, 2011 12:00 pm

"Wildboy" wrote:
I appreciate it would cost to money to make the rides servicable again but cmon there are plenty of parks throughout the world that are crying out for a cheap boomerang signature ride. Theres over a million quids worth of ride there even in its current state. I dont know what six flags are playing at by not selling that along with many other items within the park.

That area has no value, the rides have been damaged by long term sea water immersion from the floods. It made sense for them to save the B&M, it was above the water because of its elevation, corrosion-resistant support structure and it was the most valuable thing at the park at the time.

Everything else is two a penny and more stable, less costly rides can be found elsewhere. It's a shame for New Orleans but frankly, as the area is economically unstable, it would be a cost to far for Six Flags.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

A5H

Six Flags New Orleans - Abandoned Pictures

Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:11 pm

I was just having a browse through Flickr and I found this guy who has over 10,000 images... He has a set called "It Ended Too Soon" and it's pictures from Six Flags New Orleans since closing... some really good pictures, but very sad!

Link!

Take a look through them all, some really nice pictures! :D

WillPS
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Six Flags New Orleans - Abandoned Pictures

Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:05 pm

[url=http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=29534" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]viewtopic.php?f=13&t=29534[/url]