UK theme parks from another point of view!

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Flats and coasters which have been an utter failure

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:51 am

Title says it all :)

The S&S Power Sky Swat is a very good example. Slammer at Thorpe Park suffers terribly with downtime, and the fact that only two Sky Swats have been built says it all (compared to 15 installations of the Screamin' Swing).
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Wildboy
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Flats and coasters which have been an utter failure

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:59 am

I think you have already gone with the pinnacle of failures by choosing sky swat. It is a huge hulk of a ride that does nothing more than hold you upside down uncomfortably.

I think (forget the name) the flat in x sector is pretty close to the sky swat in terms of a crappy ride experience but at least it manages to get it into a smaller footprint.

Also those rocking arms at funfairs that cycle round and round are rubbish too. Fairgrounds lapped them up in the 90s and there always seems to be at least 4 at each event but now they mostly run empty
Enjoying Rollercoasters as part of a healthy balanced diet since 1983

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:05 am

"Wildboy" wrote:
I think (forget the name) the flat in x sector is pretty close to the sky swat in terms of a crappy ride experience but at least it manages to get it into a smaller footprint.

That would be Submission. Even saying the name makes me shudder :P
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:44 am

At least the Sky Swats bring a different experience to the park. I personally find them more interesting than allot of flats but their greatest failure is the limited target market.

Here's a real Failure:
Vertigo at Walibi Belgium

A really interesting concept which opened briefly before being completely re-built only to close the following season.

Special mention also has to go to ring°racer. Supposed to open in 2009 I believe. Several explosive accidents later and it’s still in testing. It was supposed to be the world's fastest coaster, now overtaken by Formula Rossa.

deluded
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:02 pm

Ring Racer has indeed be a massive failure. Built for the only purpose of being the worlds fastest and because of the delays, when or if it ever opens, it wont even be that. The rest of the layout is so poor they might as well not bother sorting the problems.

I don't understand it though. Nurburgring seem to blame S&S for all of the problems and I read that they have now handed the coaster over to an external company to finish as S&S couldn't manage it. I find this hard to believe really considering that S&S have build quite a few launched coasters with the same system and none of them had massive delays.

I expect that Nurburgring (being the massive corporate giant it is these days) aren't telling the whole truth. No doubt, money will be involved heavily somewhere, probably not being in the pockets of S&S.

To add my part to the thread though. How about Thirteen?

Ok, not really a total failure in any respect but hardly what we were told it would be and definitely no SW. More of a let down if anything which could have been so much better.

DDF14
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:18 pm

Drachen Fire http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R187nxbsjA

The Bat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcdrvjzOQXE

Both were fantastic rides but both destroyed themselves. The Bat was the first Arrow Suspended coaster with no banking on the turns and makes the Vampire ride look like a mini apple.. If you dont already know the story of The Bat then check it out. Drachen fire had 2 failed elements the wrap around corkscrew and the cutback. It was famous for being extremely rough and eventually having one of its corkscrews removed.

Both built by Arrow and both destroyed before their time.

I think the biggest tragedy is that they are 2 coasters a lot of enthusiasts would like to have rode

Blaze

Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:27 pm

If I could ride any coaster from the past, Drachen Fire would easily make my top five. The layout was fantastic for a mega-looper. Compare that to the cookie-cutter, copy-and-paste B&Ms we've had to put up with recently.

It was wild, unique and interesting. Shame the late, great Ron Toomer actually knew nothing about building rides properly.

Spike
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Curled up in Nemmies claws. Sound asleep and purring like a kitten.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:30 pm

"Don't_Look_Down" wrote:
(compared to 15 installations of the Screamin' Swing).

They're not exactly perfect either. I don't think I've seen or heard of Rush operating 2 arms for god knows how long now.
MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN!!! >:O
*Honest Cint!*

DDF14
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:44 pm

"Blaze" wrote:
If I could ride any coaster from the past, Drachen Fire would easily make my top five. The layout was fantastic for a mega-looper. Compare that to the cookie-cutter, copy-and-paste B&Ms we've had to put up with recently.

It was wild, unique and interesting. Shame the late, great Ron Toomer actually knew nothing about building rides properly.

Could not agree more Blaze, Drachen was a true beast and its cobra roll was huge. Yeah both Drachen and The Bat are in my top 5. Would love also to have been on Tower of Terror Gold Reef City when it just had lap bars as I have been on it with the new system and its a mad ride..

I went to Thorpe a few weeks back and both arms were working fine on Rush..

Has anyone been on a Zamperla Volare coaster? I have heard they are quite uncomfortable and not many have been made.

Erm Vekoma Enigma anyone ? :lol:

.Will

Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:51 pm

The Orphan Rocker.

The biggest fail ever.

:P

DDF14
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:55 pm

^ Never seen or heard of that before Will. Thats an awesome find dude..

Blaze

Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:10 pm

Is it a failure if it never opened? Maybe if it eventually opens it will be the best ride ever. :P

themealgang
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:29 pm

I don't think the Chance Inverter was a complete fail for the company. It still seems to be a fairly common flat in the US today, even though over here the only example of one can be found at Alton Towers; Submission being one of the last to be built by the company. I do believe though that the Chance double inverter concept is a complete failure; no park in the world who has one seems to operate both gondolas in the way they were designed too!

I agree on the S&S Sky Swat concept being a complete failure. It a shame really because back in 2003, I think the company thought they were really on to a winner. There has actually only been two sold; Thorpe being the latest. With the amount of downtime the ride receives, I think it is fair to say the concept is now dead.

It's a bit too early to say, but I can see KMG's "Mission Space" being a huge failure for the business. One has been built; its impressive but are showmen really going to buy into it? Also, KMG's variation on the waltzer hasn't been a best seller either like they thought it was going to be. "Fun Factory" is a small and compact ride, but not many have been sold. Surprising really...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

DDF14
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:44 pm

What about the Vekoma "Tilt" coaster didnt really catch on and the Arrow Pipeline..

themealgang
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:46 pm

"DDF14" wrote:
What about the Vekoma "Tilt" coaster didnt really catch on and the Arrow Pipeline..

Oh yes, very true. One Vekoma tilt has been built and it looks spectacular, but no parks have since cottoned on. As for the Pipeline, we all know why a certain park didn't want one of them...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

JB1985
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:49 pm

"Nightfall" wrote:
At least the Sky Swats bring a different experience to the park. I personally find them more interesting than allot of flats but their greatest failure is the limited target market.

Here's a real Failure:
Vertigo at Walibi Belgium

A really interesting concept which opened briefly before being completely re-built only to close the following season.

Special mention also has to go to ring°racer. Supposed to open in 2009 I believe. Several explosive accidents later and it’s still in testing. It was supposed to be the world's fastest coaster, now overtaken by Formula Rossa.

Lol at both of these!

Ringracer, seriously! I thought that was finished years ago. How much has it cost to date?

SLC
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:53 pm

"Spike""][quote=""Don't_Look_Down" wrote:
(compared to 15 installations of the Screamin' Swing).

They're not exactly perfect either. I don't think I've seen or heard of Rush operating 2 arms for god knows how long now.[/quote]

They were both operating when I went this year at Fright Nights.