UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
Jared
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Posts: 442
Joined: March 2009
Location: Black Hollow
Contact:

POV Pests

Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:40 pm

I've been watching people take "shady" POVs for quite a while. By shady, I mean sneaking the camera onto the ride, without the express permission of the parks and it's management.

I think this is wrong. If you're going to do an on ride video, do it properly, contact the park and seek permission. If they say no, then that's the end of it.

Not only does it give the rest of us enthusiasts a bad name within the parks (I should know, I've worked there), but it's also dangerous. I've personally taken camera's off of people attempting to do this and I think it's just damn right stupid. I've seen people drop camera's whilst doing it and then request to have them back. What are your thoughts on people taking their camera's onto the rides and tarnishing what should be, a good rapport with the parks?

People like this:

Image

And the guy Diogo sat next to on Thursday on the Swarm make us look like idiots. Thoughts please, or am I the only one who this annoys?

[/rant-over]
Chessington Buzz - New Look Website Coming Soon...
Image
 
User avatar
Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1589
Joined: October 2009
Location: Midlands
Contact:

Re: POV Pests

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:03 pm

I think it's all down to the type of ride roller coasters with loops&rides that spin fast or go upside down then a big no no but any other ride then yes.
In Orlando last year I record on a camcorder Splash Mountain,Big thunder Mountain,Test Track but I also recorded on the jungle Cruise,Living with the land,Figment,Malstorm,Nemo,The rapids,Tower of Terror,The Saferi,Peter Pan,Winnie the Pooh,It's a small world,The speedway,The magic Carpet,TTA,The haunted Mansion,Dumbo,Snow white but I wouldn't have recorded on any of the rides at Islands of Adventure.
 
Adam
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 4018
Joined: April 2004
Location: UK

Re: POV Pests

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:15 pm

When I go to Florida I tend to film on alot of the Disney rides and attractions, obviously the ones I know I can hold my camera securely on, and the fact they don't actually have rules in place there to not let you.

I wouldn't, however, film on an intense coaster without the professional kit. Expedition Everest is about as far as I go.

It all comes down to common sense. If there is ever any doubt if you can hold the camera or not, don't do it!
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
 
User avatar
Sam
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 5557
Joined: May 2008
Location: People's Socialist Republic of Sheffield
Contact:

Re: POV Pests

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:30 pm

Hand-held POVs nearly always look crap anyway.

The only justification for doing them was if you were visiting some ghetto park in Asia, where the park would never give you permission in a million years, and no-one would ever see the ride if you didn't film a POV.

But for stuff like Nemesis or Blue Fire... who cares?! There's already a million poorly filmed POVs on YouTube. Also, many rides have mounted POVs filmed, such as the excellent E-Coasters POVs for most major coasters in Europe.
 
User avatar
onair
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 210
Joined: April 2009
Location: Devon

Re: POV Pests

Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:37 pm

Yes I just don't see the point with shaky coaster povs and sneeking cameras on.

I would never risk using my equipment on a coaster. It was good that Thorpe released a great pov of The Swarm probably with the aim prob to try and cut back on povs being made, but they still do it. And yes there is one site that seems so desperate for content they do what they like.

I saw a camera dropped from Air once and the impact when it hit the ground was shocking, if that had been a person.

I love filming but would never do it on a coaster, just like to enjoy the ride:)
 
Bear

Re: POV Pests

Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:51 pm

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
I think it's all down to the type of ride roller coasters with loops&rides that spin fast or go upside down then a big no no but any other ride then yes.

In Orlando last year I record on a camcorder Splash Mountain, Big thunder Mountain, Test Track but I also recorded on the jungle Cruise, Living with the land, Figment, Malstorm, Nemo, The rapids, Tower of Terror, The Saferi, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, It's a small world, The speedway, The magic Carpet, TTA, The haunted Mansion, Dumbo, Snow white but I wouldn't have recorded on any of the rides at Islands of Adventure.


And how would you feel if you dropped your camera at 60mph on Test Track and it caused horrific injuries to a young kid? You can argue about how secure your wrist strap is until your face turns blue, but at the end of the day you are risking other people's lives when you disobey park rules in such a way.

Imagine the damage someone could inflict by punching someone in the face; those injuries are caused by an object that is softer than a hard plastic camera shell and only travelling at 5-6mph. Even on slower rides like Big Thunder Mountain, you're still hitting 30-40mph on certain sections! It's common sense really!

Also if an op has to stop the ride to take your camera off you, all you are doing is annoying the other riders on the train, annoying the staff who have to get the camera off you, annoying the people in the queue waiting to board, and potentially getting yourself kicked out of the park.
 
User avatar
starbugger1303
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 836
Joined: October 2008
Location: Phalanx Research Facility - Forbidden Valley

Re: POV Pests

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:33 pm

I have to say, Ive done it before, and I'm not proud of it.

I personally think its a stupid idea taking a camera onto a ride (unless its one of those inside a watch). As I've said I've done it twice, one on Nemmy and one on Enterprise, on 'The Worlds Smallest Commercial Camera' tied around my neck using a lanyard. I certainly won't be doing it again, the risk of getting caught is too high.

I'd say, just look a P.O.V's made by TPR and Coasterforce, the ones were they are authorized by the park and are completely safe.....
Last edited by starbugger1303 on Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Magrathea
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1262
Joined: August 2010
Location: Weston-super-Mare

Re: POV Pests

Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:14 pm

starbugger1303 wrote:
I personally think its a stupid idea taking a camera onto a ride (unless its one of those inside a watch). As I've said I've done it twice, one on Nemmy and one on Enterprise, on 'The Worlds Smallest Commercial Camera' tied around my neck using a lanyard. I certainly won't be doing it again, the risk of getting caught is too high.


What on earth did the Enterprise video look like?! :P

I think it's less the risk of getting caught and more the risk of killing someone which is the problem though. I totally agree that there is really no point in the slightest of filming a POV because it's guaranteed that 10 people with the park's permission and HD equipment have already done a better job.

I do, however, rather enjoy people having their cameras removed on the Nemmy lift, purely to hear the epic NEMMY CLAXON when it restarts.
Image
Image
 
User avatar
mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1099
Joined: July 2011
Location: Norwich

Re: POV Pests

Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Oblivion is the biggest ballache of one to have to be stopped. Though it is then funny to overhear people's stories throughout the day "OMGZ DEY STOPPED OBLIVYUN ON DA EDGE 4 HOURZ COS SUM NOBED HAD IZ CAMRA OUT... I KNOW COZ MY FREND WAZ DA NOB LOLOLO1!!1!"
ImageImage
 
User avatar
ReZourceman
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 348
Joined: May 2009
Location: Aylesbury, Bucks
Contact:

Re: POV Pests

Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:39 pm

I do it on every ride I can get away with. Especially the big ones. I take as many recording devices with me, just in case they get confiscated (two cameras, phone etc) and I like spreading vaseline on my hands just before riding.



But nah, as mentioned there is generally no point in filming POVs as hundreds already exist of most rides. I can understand filming yourself riding, but obviously it shouldn't be done on intense/high speed rides (although, I honestly don't see a huge problem if a PROPER wrist strap is used and the holder isn't a spastic). I did it on Banana Ride at my last visit to Thorpe - I didn't know it was against the rules on that ride, but he told me to put it away. In fact its in the below video at 7:25 (although if you go from 7:11 there is a nice willy visual joke)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYgJqb21E_4

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tap-and-forum-post-mega-application.
Image
 
.Will

Re: POV Pests

Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:56 pm

I report the videos on YouTube.

Doesn't get them taken down but boy it's a rush.

:P
 
User avatar
Rocket
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 269
Joined: February 2011
Location: London
Contact:

POV Pests

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:29 pm

I'm against most POVs
Places like Legoland normally let you of you ask but most of the rides at LL are designed for photography (Atlantis, dino safari, FTB )but a NO is a NO, don't try sneak it on!
 
User avatar
Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1589
Joined: October 2009
Location: Midlands
Contact:

Re: POV Pests

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:57 am

Bear wrote:
Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
I think it's all down to the type of ride roller coasters with loops&rides that spin fast or go upside down then a big no no but any other ride then yes.

In Orlando last year I record on a camcorder Splash Mountain, Big thunder Mountain, Test Track but I also recorded on the jungle Cruise, Living with the land, Figment, Malstorm, Nemo, The rapids, Tower of Terror, The Saferi, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, It's a small world, The speedway, The magic Carpet, TTA, The haunted Mansion, Dumbo, Snow white but I wouldn't have recorded on any of the rides at Islands of Adventure.


And how would you feel if you dropped your camera at 60mph on Test Track and it caused horrific injuries to a young kid? You can argue about how secure your wrist strap is until your face turns blue, but at the end of the day you are risking other people's lives when you disobey park rules in such a way.

Imagine the damage someone could inflict by punching someone in the face; those injuries are caused by an object that is softer than a hard plastic camera shell and only travelling at 5-6mph. Even on slower rides like Big Thunder Mountain, you're still hitting 30-40mph on certain sections! It's common sense really!

Also if an op has to stop the ride to take your camera off you, all you are doing is annoying the other riders on the train, annoying the staff who have to get the camera off you, annoying the people in the queue waiting to board, and potentially getting yourself kicked out of the park.

I only done it cause there wasn't any rules to say I couldn't. I kept the camcorder near my chest and both hands around it. Even my dad in 1993 filmed on a lot of attractions at Disney and Universal and in them days the cameras were big.

I filmed on the enterprise at Drayton Manor it just looks like u going round and round. I tried to record out the side but it was blurred. The only 3 rides I recorded on at Alton Towers was Squirrel Nutty,Riverboat Ispy&The rapids.
 
User avatar
Magrathea
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1262
Joined: August 2010
Location: Weston-super-Mare

Re: POV Pests

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:42 am

The only ride I've been told off for filming on ever was on Rocky Express at Thorpe Park, when I wasn't aware of any restrictions on filming (given that you can take loose articles in the vehicle with you), and there was no danger of the camera harming anyone. I still obligingly put it away immediately on request though :)
Image
Image
 
Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2851
Joined: January 2009

Re: POV Pests

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:19 am

starbugger1303 wrote:
I have to say, Ive done it before, and I'm not proud of it.

I personally think its a stupid idea taking a camera onto a ride (unless its one of those inside a watch). As I've said I've done it twice, one on Nemmy and one on Enterprise, on 'The Worlds Smallest Commercial Camera' tied around my neck using a lanyard. I certainly won't be doing it again, the risk of getting caught is too high.

I'd say, just look a P.O.V's made by TPR and Coasterforce, the ones were they are authorized by the park and are completely safe.....


There's a link to your YouTube account in your signature. It still includes said hand-held POVs of Enterprise and Nemesis, amongst other rides, which you have neglected to remove from your YouTube account. Considering that, several months ago, I commented on said Nemesis POV (along with reporting it), I'm slightly disappointed that it is still present on your account, especially given your apparent change of mind.

In fact, the comments are still there... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcTuKMg1Rjg

D4n wrote:
Congratulations! You managed to break park rules, and in doing so created a POV which is by far inferior to the (legally filmed) one on CoasterForce's YouTube account.
Shame on you. =)


starbugger1303 wrote:
There are plenty of other enthusiasts who have done it so can you please revert away from my channel and onto someone who gives a  :censored:!


I apologise for this post, especially if it comes across as though I have a personal vendetta against you, Stevie. I don't. I just can't quite tolerate the level of hypocrisy in that post. :)
Last edited by Pennywise on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2730
Joined: September 2009
Location: Cambridge

Re: POV Pests

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:32 am

The trouble is this really shouldn’t be giving enthusiasts a bad name because it’s not just us who do it. With so many people having camera phones there are many guests who just smuggle them on and find it funny to take a silly video while riding.

This is a particular problem with Oblivion. A few years back it was almost guaranteed to be stopped every 45 minutes or so. Thankfully so many people have watched this happen that it’s less common place now. But there are also plenty of idiot who try it on Rita. If you look at the first corner of Th13teen chances are they’ll be at least one mobile phone that was dropped from Rita earlier that day. Smashed completely of course which makes you wonder what would have happened if the net wasn’t in the way. And let’s not forget what happened to Duelling Dragons.

Secured cameras I have no problem with but then it needs to be done properly. But if there are already POV’s out there why not do something more interesting like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDqdmidgQHo&list=LLih0lQs_E9SM5zA8wngTldg&index=43&feature=plpp_video
ImageImage
 
manual_operator
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 25
Joined: April 2011
Location: Selly Oak

Re: POV Pests

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:17 pm

The thing is, most people don't think of the real reason for not allowing camera's (and loose articles lol) on roller coaster, I just had to explain it to my missus as she had no idea at all!

As a former Rita op, I've seen so many mobiles/camera's that have been smashed to pieces and they do end up pretty much everywhere...ride area/cargo nets/on top of the arcades, so even if there's a 0.1% chance that any item can become loose and leave your possession during a ride an op/host shouldn't take the chance, which on Rita it such a massive issue...when people pull out their camera after the train has been moved into position and you have to use to e-stop the ride which creates at least 15 minutes down time, then unloading the train followed by test runs its crazy! not to mention that there is still a chance of a launch it its too late...though we all like seeing a roll back :)

So yeah, just don't even consider it....lives literally can be lost from stupid decisions!


Oh and also, I think those that do should be punishable (the one's who get caught filming during the ride not the ones caught in the station), imagine if someone got hit in the head and say ended up with brain damage...the park shouldn't, if the proper check were done, be liable - the idiot who caused it should, I imagine if something like that happened and made the news people maybe would think differently.
Last edited by manual_operator on Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
djtruefitt

Re: POV Pests

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:35 pm

I dont really know why people see the need to film a POV on a ride. I can understand why people might do it when a ride is brand new, so they can show other people. But why would you want to now film a POV on Nemesis or Oblivion when there are 50000 on Youtube already, and most of them will be ten times better than the one filmed on your crappy phone. Just by seaching for Swarm on youtube you will see loads and loads of POVs already.

If someone does manage to film one and they drop their phone and it breaks (and it doesnt hurt anyone of course) then it really serves them right for using their phone on a ride.
 
Bear

Re: POV Pests

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:30 am

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
I only done it cause there wasn't any rules to say I couldn't. I kept the camcorder near my chest and both hands around it. Even my dad in 1993 filmed on a lot of attractions at Disney and Universal and in them days the cameras were big.


Yes, and that makes it fine right? Regardless of rules, it's still a stupid and dangerous thing to do without park's express permission. That is, they specifically said you were allowed, as opposed to them not exactly saying no.
 
User avatar
TB2
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 410
Joined: November 2008
Location: Caterham
Contact:

Re: POV Pests

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:42 am

About ten years ago I did film on rides like Colossus, Vortex, Rodeo and I did ask if it was okay before riding. Even then after a couple of rides, it's quite clear that it was a silly thing to do on larger rides that go over pathways or invert but I was young and niave. Thats the thing with park guests (and enthusiasts to a degree), the sense of what could happen if you let go of the camera isn't thought of in that moment.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests