UK theme parks from another point of view!

Does the UK need more rollercoasters, or 'experience rides?'

Sod all the non coaster stuff - I need thrills
6 (19%)
Could do with a decent selection of each...
17 (53%)
Meh, there's to many sub-par coasters now anyway - I need something different
7 (22%)
Actually its more flat rides we need
1 (3%)
I don't care, as long as it's new
1 (3%)

Total votes: 32

Slappy McGuire
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Does the UK need more rollercoasters, or 'experience rides?'

Thu May 24, 2012 11:44 pm

Simple question - would the UK benefit from more rollercoasters, or from more 'experience rides?' - by which I mean the likes of Valhalla, Bubbleworks, and Hex?

Personally, while I love rollercoasters, I'd opt for the latter, which if indoors, could be run for more of the year, unaffected by the UK's climate.  It's always struck me as odd that for such a small isle, we have an abundance of coasters, an yet a handful of decent dark rides.  Go to the continent, and the trend is often reversed, with a higher number of decent travelling coasters appearing to take up the slack.

Opinions?

ImURNemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Does the UK need more rollercoasters, or 'experience rides?'

Thu May 24, 2012 11:48 pm

I would say experience rides! 

Highly themed haunted house ride please!

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 25, 2012 12:02 am

A good mix of both is my honest answer.

But I think the issue is that most people have come to expect Roller Coasters so that is what sells. It's been shown countless times, Valhalla for example has never been as big a draw as the Pepsi Max despite it being a larger investment and an all round much better ride. And you only need to ask most visitors why they visit theme parks and they'll say it's for the Roller Coasters. In fact I got into an argument the other day with someone who thought Europa Park was rubbish and when I asked why they just said "not enough thrilling coasters". Unfortunately that tends to be the British mentality to theme parks. Until more parks start offering good experience rides that's unlikely to change so in that respect I guess I'd go with experience based rides.
ImageImage

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 25, 2012 6:57 am

I'd like to see more themed flats like Ripsaw because they're good fun, don't cost much and are always great just to watch. But I'd also like to see more dark rides.

Something like 'HP & the Forbidden Journey' or 'Spiderman' would be good too. But as Nightfall said, they just don't have the same pulling-power or intimidating visual impact as a great big coaster whizzing past full of screaming riders.

But there's always the option for parks in the UK to combine the two. A new coaster grabs everyone's attention and the dark section ticks the box for a lack of great experience rides. Even if it's only a small dark section. Saw is a good example. As is Th13teen (even if the actual coaster section isn't brilliant). Perhaps, if and when Drayton Manor build their next coaster (2014?) they will incorporate a short 'Blue Fire' style dark section before the main coaster bit? Anything to add to the overall enjoyment and uniqueness of a coaster gets my vote, as does good theming.

:)

JoeGibbon
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 25, 2012 8:16 am

Experience rides. But the only thing that's really gonna pull the public in is a well known ip. That's why Harry potter gets such big queues. People know the theme and can connect to it, which makes the ride more enjoyable. But none of the parks over here will be able to afford as big an ip unfortunately :(

AstroDan

Fri May 25, 2012 8:18 am

Rides such as Black Mamba, Blue Fire, Wodan, Novgorod, I am presuming Oz'Iris, Saw etc all offer an experience. This is the best solution. Combine both. Rather than the Rita situation which fails to capture imaginations.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 25, 2012 8:39 am

BigAl wrote:
Something like 'HP & the Forbidden Journey' or 'Spiderman' would be good too. But as Nightfall said, they just don't have the same pulling-power or intimidating visual impact as a great big coaster whizzing past full of screaming riders.

I think you've picked two of the only examples that go against the trend  :P  Forbidden Journey and Spiderman both have tremendous pulling power. However the only reason we won't see them here is because they cost an absolute fortune.

I should also add to what I said before that a good IP can be just as successfully as a coaster but it has to be the right IP and given the correct level of quality it deserves. The reason why IP's are so often frowned upon is because it's too easy to slap the name on and make a few minor tweaks, damaging the ride in the process. But If a UK park decided to make a really good ride based on a classic British IP (take Wallace and Gromit or Doctor Who as an example) then it could be very successful. I actually think that Alton's choice of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was a brilliant idea but it was let down by poor execution.
ImageImage

BigAl
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 25, 2012 9:04 am

I meant in comparison to a ride such as Hulk. But then again, I've never been so I wouldn't know which rides get the greater queues out of them. :P

Either way, I'm sure if you said to someone would you prefer a ride like Hulk or a dark ride like Spiderman, they wouldn't say the dark ride.

Stelios7
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Somewhere near Disney Land Stafford. I mean... err... Derbyshire.

Fri May 25, 2012 9:19 am

I'd say with technology moving on, mixing rides with experiences such as Sub-Terra and Extremis will probably be copied soon by Drayton and maybe BPB. Full on thrilling flat rides have been lacking recently and making it unique with experiences I believe would contribute to a more popular trend.

I could see IP's becoming more increasingly used in these rides to make a more memroble experience.

On the coasters side, parks will continue to develop in a Merlin Investment style cycle in these times. I'd love to see a decent inverted coaster to rival Nemesis like Black Mamba appearing in BPB or Drayton for a nice change.
Officially, TTF's Only EasyJet founder.

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 25, 2012 9:25 am

BigAl wrote:
I meant in comparison to a ride such as Hulk. But then again, I've never been so I wouldn't know which rides get the greater queues out of them. :P

Either way, I'm sure if you said to someone would you prefer a ride like Hulk or a dark ride like Spiderman, they wouldn't say the dark ride.

I haven't been either but I think you'd be surprised just how popular Spiderman is, even outside enthusiast circles. But there’s no doubt at all that the Forbidden Journey is the parks headline ride.

Anyway as I noted before these rides go against the formula and so do the Disney dark rides (which have become IP's in their own right). The difference is that people will cross entire continents to visit these places and have an experience but if we’re talking just about UK parks people visit them for very different reasons. There’s no reason why this has to be the case but it’ll take a long time to change the opinion Coasters are King.

But I do love rides that offer a mix between the two. Despite its flaws I still find Th13teen one of the most fun rides out there and I'd definitely like to see more Mystery Castle experience based rides which offer coaster style thrills as well.
ImageImage

ImURNemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 25, 2012 12:09 pm

Right, I thought I'd draw up a list of what rides we have the uk now and and what would consider to be "experience rides"

Sub-terra
Ice age
Thirteen
Charlie
Dual
Hex
(possibly Nemesis and Oblivion has they have their own back story and incorporates its theming)
Saw-the ride
The swarm
Bubbleworks
Tomb blaster
Valhalla
Excalibur
Pirate adventure
The haunting
Raptor attack
extremis (Found in all Dungeons)

When you look at the list there is already a decent amount of experience rides in the UK. Plus SW7 is looking like to be an experience ride. A lot of parks at the moment seam to be heading down that road. We just something that is going to wow the public. A spiderman or Harry Potter ride would be awesome but we simply don't have the funds to build something like that. The easiest attraction would probably be a dark coaster.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 25, 2012 9:29 pm

I think that's the biggest problem when you compare uk rides with Universal&Disney attractions. Disney were spending more on attractions in the 70's and 80's than the uk do now.