UK theme parks from another point of view!

Boz
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Yet another media overreaction

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:25 am

wind seeker breakdown at Knotts Berry Farm breaks down leaving people "stranded" for 4 hours, is somehow international news :x

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19660221

it's soooo bloody frustrating when a technical fault occurs, the ride's safety systems bring it to a stop, nobody gets hurt, and everything goes according to very well rehearsed plan. and yet the media have to go on like its a tragedy  :x
Last edited by Boz on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

TB2
TT Member
TT Member

Re: yet another media overreaction

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:04 pm

Boz wrote:
wind seeker breakdown at Knotts Berry Farm breaks down leaving people "stranded" for 4 hours, is somehow international news :x

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19660221

it's soooo bloody frustrating when a technical fault occurs, the ride's safety systems bring it to a stop, nobody gets hurt, and everything goes according to very well rehearsed plan. and yet the media have to go on like its a tragedy  :x

Oh I don't know, that BBC report is pretty relaxed and casual. They even describe the riders as being quite calm and chilled out waiting to get down. Hardly the tragedy that you've described.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

Boz
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:31 pm

"the video show the riders finally being lowered to safety" as if they were in any danger to begin with :roll: And if it's really so uneventful why is it international news?

ImURNemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:26 pm

I wounder what the Daily Mail's reaction would be to this!  :lol:

Morgano
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:52 pm

I think your reaction is worse. So defensive over nothing.

Boz
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:00 pm

what's the point in reporting nothing though?
people get stuck on theme park rides all over the world every day. I quite simply get annoyed that something so trivial deserves that much media attention.

ImURNemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:06 pm

Boz wrote:
what's the point in reporting nothing though?
people get stuck on theme park rides all over the world every day. I quite simply get annoyed that something so trivial deserves that much media attention.

Becuase journalist have nothing better to report. I'm suppised the BBC made a big deal out of it.

Luce
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:43 pm

I agree it is a bit silly to publish this story when people get stuck on rides all the time - it reminds me of when I had a lift hill stop on The Swarm earlier this year, it only stopped for 10 minutes or so as I recall but this little incident made the BBC news too :)

The Moon
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:48 pm

ImURNemesis wrote:

Thousands in danger of being crushed under tonnes of twisted steel!!! What would Diana say?!
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...

ImURNemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:28 pm

The Moon wrote:
ImURNemesis wrote:

Thousands in danger of being crushed under tonnes of twisted steel!!! What would Diana say?!

That and they will add it to their list of things that give you cancer!  :lol:

Boz
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:29 am

The Moon wrote:
ImURNemesis wrote:

haha! Fantastic! I could actually see that on the front page  :P

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:46 am

Luce wrote:
I agree it is a bit silly to publish this story when people get stuck on rides all the time - it reminds me of when I had a lift hill stop on The Swarm earlier this year, it only stopped for 10 minutes or so as I recall but this little incident made the BBC news too :)

Its a big different been stuck on a ride for 4 hours then 10 mins. Been in American in heats of 30+. I hate to be stuck on a coaster or any ride outside with no shade,needing the toilet and food and drink.

abigsmurf
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:49 pm

Being stuck that high up in those seats for 4 hours sounds like a pretty nasty experience to me. Being that exposed for that long would cause me to burn up pretty bad, there'd be the possibility of people being having to wet themselves (although presumably they'd stick a crane up to deliver bottles of water to people so they didn't dehydrate).

Then there's the height and seats which aren't designed for sitting in for long periods on top of that.

Seems fairly newsworthy to me.