UK theme parks from another point of view!

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

“Contextual shift” In themed places. It feels awesome?

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:21 am

Most people probably don’t realise what I’m on about, so first things first I’ll give an example:

Outside of a themed ride building you have air vents and ducting. Some are real and some. Infact in this made up scenario let’s say we’ve got
1)Real and boring Air conditioner units
2)Air conditioner ducting that both serves a purpose and is themed to look rusty, cool and exaggerated. Its both real & themed.
3)Big air vent heads that serve no purpose except as themeing.

So you see we have an air conditioning system that is 3 different things. The “context shifts” over these 3 different things, but for reasons that are probably deep rooted in the human psyche I find it kind of liberating and wanted to announce that I love this.
Life and many creative ventures are full of rules and I think doing things this way sticks 2 fingers up to that. If someone makes a film and just 1 thing isn’t perfectly justified that internet forums explode with a reaction but I think/hope people understand that with themeparks you work in a different way. I’d like to say it was surreal because the changing and merging of different contexts and places and the sense of liberty that creates inside me, reminds me a lot of dreams.

Another example:
The Sets of the bubble works. You’ve got
1) Full 3 dimensional sets throughout the “factory”
2) You’ve got cardboard cutout style stuff going on, like in the station you’ve got house shapes cut into wood and painted on to look like houses
3) Then you’ve got a few bits of Trompe L'oeil (said like Tromp “Lurgh-yuh” lol, French). Thats where a flat scene is entirely painted, usually airbrushed onto a wall or other flat surface but quite often looks 3D because of the shading techniques– a lot of haunted houses have bricks done this way.

So you see; No one ever said “WE MUST USE ONE STYLE OF SET AND NOTHING ELSE” and because they didn’t the effect is liberating...to me anyway...maybe I’m just of my rocker.
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

Wildboy
TT Member
TT Member

Re: “Contextual shift” In themed places. It feels awesome?

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:30 am

Yeh I think you summed it up perfectly in the last few words. The guys on rollercoasterphilosophy.com would share your liberation though.
Enjoying Rollercoasters as part of a healthy balanced diet since 1983

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:40 am

oh well
maybe its just too deep for some ;)

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:16 pm

OK firstly just to clarify this topic a bit:
This is a topic about Visual Vs. Practical design (and how its different in themeparks)- and is on a Bookish level of contemplation. The reason I am writing it is because I wan't people to understand what feels good in asthetics.

This picture is a bit like what I am talking a bout:

Ignore the Bums. The bums are irrelivant. I'm talking about what you see in the blue square. In the blue square you have part of plane. The designer has taken a practical part of a plane and put it in a hall. He/She has taken from an intense, securetized, exciting, sometimes worrying enviroment of a plane and put it in safety of a church or village hall, thats quiet and safely on the ground.
Its lame in a way; The more hardcore thing to be doing is to be on a plane, having an adrenaline rush but no - on this plane the only danger is from the Hot Water Dispenser people are using for their tea.
It is a bit like when a famous actor is doing theatre and he goes to the pub across the road to help pour pints or when Jesus washed the feet of his disiplces. Someone/something who should be high flying and in a more intense, rock and roll enviroment comes down to a much more humble, homely position. They are taken out of their usual context.

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:34 pm

More context change:

Tiger Escapes Frame...

The picture frame is not usually considered to be part of the art but here the frame is an integral part of the piece - in the context of this piece  -Because- the frame has to exist so the tiger can escape from it. So it has become part of the picture, in context of this piece. You could frame this photo to showcase this piece and you would have a frame within a frame. (I know the frame is 2D but it kind of emphasizes the point).

Don't know if this bit really makes any sense but this is me attempting to describe why I like this:
"Its cool to me, its like you zoom out and add a different lens of perspective to your view finder"

Also I must say: I'm not talking about getting these lovely pictures at AT or similar though they are kind of cool. I'm talking about the fun and sense of liberation/escapism you can get from these contextual shifts. I guess its because the creation itself flouts and escapes rules and we love that idea and hope we can too.
Last edited by MattsDesigns on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.