UK theme parks from another point of view!

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Carowinds 2015 coaster

Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:15 pm

At the risk of being picky or wrong, doesn't a hyper or giga have to not have an inversion? It looks like this has one in the layout...

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:35 pm

Where is the inversion?

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:05 pm

There's no reason why a hyper/giga couldn't have an inversion, it's just that the trains and restraints are built for different purposes. I'd be surprised if a manufacturer with the safety record of B&M would use clamshell restraints on a coaster that inverted. On Shambhala, they sit on your lap, rather than across your stomach like their earlier models (such as Nitro), which allows for amazing freedom and huge pops of air-time down the drop and over the hills, but I'm not sure they'd be appropriate for an inversion, as fun as it would be.

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:01 pm

Mega fun if you fall out...

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:31 pm

erm, if restraints can handle airtime, where you feel like you are floating/flying out of the restraint, inversions will be completely fine, as they (generally speaking) make you feel like your being pulled into your seat (I would use positive and negative G-force for this, but honestly cba to answer anyone who questions what that means :P)

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:52 am

So, if this is Leviathan #2, then how would they theme it? Leviathan is themed around a dragon, this theme is expected to be historical...
Last edited by NemesisRider on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:34 am

^when I said Leviathan #2, I meant just the layout :)

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:20 pm

jackandylan123 wrote:
erm, if restraints can handle airtime, where you feel like you are floating/flying out of the restraint, inversions will be completely fine, as they (generally speaking) make you feel like your being pulled into your seat (I would use positive and negative G-force for this, but honestly cba to answer anyone who questions what that means :P)

B&M are as much about image as they are genuine safety though. Shambhala style restraints on an inverting coaster would be perceived as being unsafe, regardless of whether they are or not.

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:03 am

I think it's up to the park to decide on the restraints *coughsmilercough*

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:17 am

TBH I didn't see anything wrong with The Smiler's restraints.

And, if the Carowinds coaster has inversions, I've seen Rita style OSTR on inverting coasters (cheetah hunt).

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:09 pm

NemesisRider wrote:
TBH I didn't see anything wrong with The Smiler's restraints.

And, if the Carowinds coaster has inversions, I've seen Rita style OSTR on inverting coasters (cheetah hunt).

Its not that there is anything wrong with them (aside from smelling horrible!) The rumour was when SW7 was being built that it was going to have lapbars due to Gerst using them more on other coasters so it was disappointing when we found out they were going to use OSTR.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:10 pm

Another teaser:

Source

Those who call the phone number hear this message.
Transcript: Thank you for reporting a paranormal disturbance in our construction area. We have recorded your call and will log it in our incident records. Please stay informed about other disturbances via our website at carowinds.com. You can't stop it, you can only hope to contain it. The world will know August 21st.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:22 pm

This teaser has now appeared on the Carowinds website along with a countdown to August 21st.

Furthermore, some new track has appeared at the Ohio fabrication plant which is now thought to be for the Carowinds giga due to its colouration which is similar to that of the media invite.

Source - Screamscape

Source

Danny
Contributor
Contributor
Topic Author

Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:18 pm

So, although it's all speculation, it would appear that the name Centurion, and the roman theme has been scraped as the new teasers point towards a more modern theme, and an animal or insect. Recently there has been actors walking round the park dressed as bee catchers with nets and the nests. Track at the B&M place is blue with a yellow underneath and the website has a honeycomb background. It's speculated that it could now be called The Hornet, after the NBA basketball team.

It all seems to fit together, although I'm gutted about loosing the name centurion.
Source: Screamscape

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:05 am

I was also convinced that Carowinds' new attraction would follow a Roman theme, however "Rome wasn't built in a day" is a popular catchphrase that means something is going to take along time/ good things "take time" to create. The Roman numerals under the poster were presenting an opening date so I believe that this poster was just playing on a common saying to release an opening date rather than hinting at the theme of the attraction. This is also "confirmed" by the track colour as a blue and yellow colour scheme does not seem to be appropriet for a Roman themed attraction.

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:55 pm

Altontowersbarlow wrote:
I was also convinced that Carowinds' new attraction would follow a Roman theme, however "Rome wasn't built in a day" is a popular catchphrase that means something is going to take along time/ good things "take time" to create. The Roman numerals under the poster were presenting an opening date so I believe that this poster was just playing on a common saying to release an opening date rather than hinting at the theme of the attraction. This is also "confirmed" by the track colour as a blue and yellow colour scheme does not seem to be appropriet for a Roman themed attraction.

The roman numerals were the announcement date, "8-21-2014"

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:01 pm

I do apologise, I had my facts mudded momentarily while writing my first post. Despite this I still believe that the poster was purely playing on a popular catchphrase rather than hinting at a possible theme for their 2015 attraction.

Danny
Contributor
Contributor
Topic Author

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:47 am

The ride has now appeared on the homepage, view the link before it disappears!

https://www.carowinds.com/centurion

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:50 am

I don't think Centurion is going to be the name, Cedar Fair parks do this a lot…

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:36 pm

For anyone that missed it.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a troll by the park for the enthusiast community. Doesn't really match any of the honeycomb and net pics actually released by the park. It will most likely be "Fury 325" or "Hornet" (or something else relating to the basketball team.