UK theme parks from another point of view!

Dobba

Re: Universal Orlando: Wizarding World Expansion

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:34 pm

The important question is "Can Universal break double figures for the number of shops in this new area?"

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:42 pm

Benjy Alton Towers Kid
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:53 pm

I do agree. Maybe a separate HP theme park would be a good idea. But The WWOHP at Orlando is great! The lost Continent, in my opinion, wouldn't be that much of a loss becuase it has hardly any attarctions and Posideon's is lame. The removal of jaws was a big surprise but it wasn't the best ride ever.

I do hope though that Universal don't get Potter Mania and turn IOA into the Island of Harry Potter!

A Transformer simulator like the ones in Universal Hollywood does sound great especially if it's as good as Spidey. It would fit in perfectly in the empty area near the Kwik-E-mart. However, I do hope the Coke station stays! :D
Last edited by Benjy Alton Towers Kid on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theme Parks are my way of life.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :)
Keep smiling!!! :)

AWTSW90
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:50 pm

On an unrelated IOA note, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-man reopened today complete with brand new 4K digital HD animation, a new musical score, new 16-channel onboard audio, enhancements to pretty much everything else such as lighting, props etc new 'Spider-vision' glasses and a cameo from Stan Lee himself  :D

Like the ride wasn't good enough  :P

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:53 pm

AWTSW90 wrote:
On an unrelated IOA note, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-man reopened today complete with brand new 4K digital HD animation, a new musical score, new 16-channel onboard audio, enhancements to pretty much everything else such as lighting, props etc new 'Spider-vision' glasses and a cameo from Stan Lee himself  :D

Like the ride wasn't good enough  :P

Curse of DarKastle > Spiderman!  ;)

Sounds good though!

:)

Dormiens-Dave

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:03 pm

Adz wrote:
Neither. Because in the film they used London St Pancras because it looks better. So they'll presumably use that in the theme park for consistency.

Fun fact. JK has said in the past she made a mistake and it was never meant to be either Kings Cross or St Pancras. She was thinking of the layout of London Euston when writing it and somehow put Kings Cross instead. Makes sense considering the layout of Kings Cross makes it physically impossible for a platform 9 3/4 to exist due to there being no barriers or walls between 9 and 10. Whereas at Euston it's very different and indeed possible.

Sorry Potter geek as well as coaster geek.

She always intended for platform 9 3/4 to be at KingsCross as her parents met there, but she was describing the platforms in Euston when writing it by mistake thinking she was accurately describing KingsCross.

Sorry couldn't help geeking out there

Jared
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Re: Universal Orlando: Wizarding World Expansion

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:16 pm

Rob wrote:
Curse of DarKastle > Spiderman! 

Huntik > DarKastle > Spiderman

:-P
Chessington Buzz - New Look Website Coming Soon...

AstroDan

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:23 pm

Huntik expectation just sky rocketed, there! Doubt it'll do over Forbidden Journey though.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

AWTSW90
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:29 am

Spider-man may well have been out-done since it's inception, but when you take Forbidden journey into account, along with some other stunning feats of engineering and entertainment, Islands of Adventure really has earned its place in the theme park capital of the world. Am I the only one that thinks the blue dragon is a fantastic example of an invert? Not too intense, just pure fun! Really is one of my favourites!

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:23 pm

Yes. That. ^

Hungarian Horntail or whatever it's called these days is one of my favourite B&M Inverts. It's a pity it no longer duels but it's still a very good ride.

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:26 pm

Spiderman looks even better than it was previously :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cusKmODM61w

Maybe put itself back in front of Forbidden Journey?

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:35 pm

Universal just applied for some very interesting permits.

Project 7717:
North station 7717; Foundation layout and details for primary structural system.

Project 3641
South station #3641: Foundation layout and details for primary structural system

Project 4691
Connector #4691: Foundation layout and details for primary structural system

Can you say, Hogwarts Express? Presumably connecting both parks as previously rumoured.

sweedish2009
TT Member
TT Member

Transformers- The Ride Officially Announced for Universal Orlando

Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:20 am

Well, as I'm sure most in the theme park industry are aware, the worst kept, most obvious secret for the past few months has been Universal Studios Orlando's latest project.

And last night, about 11.30 GMT, it was made official........

TRANSFORMERS™: THE RIDE-3D
The Battle Continues in Orlando

Humans, heed this warning. Megatron and his Decepticons® are mobilizing for an attack that would decimate this planet. Only you can save mankind.

PREPARE FOR BATTLE
Universal Orlando® is marshaling troops for the greatest battle you'll ever ride.
Opening Summer 2013.

So, with that in mind, I wanted to pose the question. With the ride being so similar to Spider-man (which only received a face lift 6 months ago), does Universal Orlando need it?

I'm biased because I love anything to do with Transformers, and I'll certainly be visiting once it's open, however I'd like to hear it from an unbiased point of view. Could money have been spent on a new ride concept for Orlando?
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Transformers- The Ride Officially Announced for Universal Orlando

Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:52 pm

Provided it's in Universal Studios and not IoA, I can't see the ride type similarities to Spiderman being too much of an issue, as you'll likely ride them on different days out. So long as they make the story and action significantly different from Spidey it should be pretty cool.

Plus, if it is at Studios, it'll bolster their 'could be better' ride line-up, which will hopefully improve further with Harry Potter phase 2.

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps

abigsmurf
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Transformers- The Ride Officially Announced for Universal Orlando

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:30 am

For what should be a AAA ride, it's too similar to Spider-man really, even if it's in a different park.

Rides that are too similar risk destroying the magic of a ride. I remember even as a kid noticing that Star Tours, Body wars (and a simulator in Bush Gardens) used the exact same type of simulator and it makes them less special. Those were comparitively minor rides, with Transformers/Spider-man which have a very distinctive ride type it'll be worse.

It's also slightly worrying that cost cutting was likely a factor. Established ride tech plus they can have their technicians hop on a cart for 5 minutes after working on one ride, to work on the other.

Air lover
TT Member
TT Member

Harry potter and the forbidden journey break downs

Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:10 am

Just going to start this because on my first visit to ioa I experienced stop start in the que line due to breakdowns I've heard it's a regular thing

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Harry potter and the forbidden journey break downs

Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:54 am

It could be also down to guests with needs wanting to go on the ride and they need to stop it so they can get on the ride.

Air lover
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:45 pm

Mostly break downs thow

meames
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:43 am

With such a sophisticated ride I am not surprised to hear about breakdowns, but I went for 3 weeks last year and just about lived on this thing and never once had a problem.

Air lover
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:55 am

Well I went on open week so that's probarly the reason