UK theme parks from another point of view!

Which franchise are you most excited for, if any?

Twilight
No votes
Now You See Me
No votes
Step Up
No votes
The Divergent Series
No votes
The Hunger Games
6 (75%)
All Equally
1 (13%)
None
1 (13%)

Total votes: 8

Owen
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Lionsgate IP Mega Lands 2019 and Beyond

Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:18 pm

Lionsgate have now sold the rights of their most popular franchises to a selection of theme parks located in Atlanta, Dubai and China.

The theme parks in question are, AVATRON Park in Atlanta (opening 2019), Motiongate Dubai in Dubai and one near Macau in China. The US and Chinese park will be building dedicated "maga lands" and Motiongate will add the attractions and theming accessories into existing areas. This is Lionsgates plan to compete with Universal and Disney on a small scale currently, however the attractions themselves are being built by third party companies.

The franchises are below, from most to least likely to be constructed.

No opening announced.

Currently the least solid franchise planned to be transitioning into a tourist attraction, Lionsgate have early plans. To create "Twilight" themed areas and attractions. These plans are not very solid and so the parks in question are undecided at this point.

Currently no opening date.

Lionsgate have also discussed tuning the stage magic themed 2013 hit "Now You See Me" into a theme park area. Currently these areas are considered for AVATRON Park in Atlanta and Motiongate in Dubai. There are no known attractions for this franchise as of yet.

Can be installed when needed.

Although not so much planned as an area (yet), Lionsgate are rumoured to be including Step Up shows in their proposal to the various theme parks.

Projected opening in 2019.

Now coming up to the big two, The Divergent Series is planned to be incorporated into all 3 theme parks, including attractions based on Tris and Four's adventure within, and out side of the wall. Currently not much information has been unveiled about this IP's influence on the parks, however it is planned to be a noticeable impact.

Projected to open in 2019.

Yes, Lionsgate have kept its biggest franchise alive by allowing third party companies to make a theme park "mega land" based around the events of "The Hunger Games" films. This will appear at all three theme parks and will feature a ride based on "taking a ride on a hover board through the Capitol, before being interrupted by the forces", this is said to be similar to Star Tours at Didney parks. As well as a bullet train ride, based in the train that travels between the Districts. Below is some concept art for the Atlanta based park.

Between Now You See Me, The Divergent Series and The Hunger Games, costs for AVATRON Park are projected to be approximately $600M and this total is being raised currently. I apologise for the lack of information, however this development is only in the very early planning stages, so more information will arise soon!

So what do you think of these attractions, and are they capable of competing with Harry Potter and Star Wars?
Last edited by Owen on Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Re: Lionsgate IP Mega Lands 2019 and Beyond

Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:26 pm

I guess it was only a matter of time until a Hunger Games area appeared in the park. It will be interesting to see what happens with these.

CharlesParry
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Lionsgate IP Mega Lands 2019 and Beyond

Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:27 pm

Hunger Games is the only one I can see being both popular enough and having the scope for a theme park attraction.