UK theme parks from another point of view!

CGM
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Are inversions becoming unfasionable?

Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:50 pm

It seems that in recent years, inversions are becoming used less than they used to be. Is it just how things are going right now are we coming into a phase where no inversions are unfasionable?

-Multiloopers are not used as much
-Parks are choosing record breaking rides with height and speed.
-Inversions are nothing new anymore

Yes there are still inverting rides being built, but less than there used to be, particuarly in the US.

Anonymous

Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:12 pm

In UK thats been affected i think. Rita (no inversions), and then new coaster at TP, thats not inversions. AT plan for another launched coaster (i think) with no inversions in 2007 and also i think blackpool may also be doing a launched coaster going for record height and speed (no inversions). They all seem to be speed, also, launched seem to be coming popular. I think speeds becoming popular for rides now more than inversions yes. Not so much height. Also, maybe G's because i heard from towersnerd that UGland may in the future stand for Ultimate Gs land? Interesting and unusuall things going on at the moment with coasters. :-?

SW-Dave
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:45 pm

actually many of the new Intamin launch coasters being built do feauture inversions, especially in Europe. I agree were seeing a phase of height and speed, but that wont last to long IMO, The phase after that will be combining that with complex inversions and new experiences.

Im still waiting to see an Intamin launch with an Inside Top-hat, that will be the next step IMO.

Anonymous

Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:08 am

Depends on how you define 'fashionable'. Current trends, who's building what and who's not building what? Because when it comes to coasters, how much scope is there to be fashionable with features - you have to admit, there is only so much that can be done.

If parks are looking for publicity, a good advertising spin etc etc, then height and speed are the obvious ones to go for. Maybe after Collosus opening, it's emerged that inversions really aren't that special any more - there's not much else that can be done with it. It's all very well having a normal coaster with inversions in - nowadays, there has to be more.

This topic comes up after a year of launches and another big UK launch debuting next year. Before this year, the UK didn't really have a big launched coaster, so maybe it's more of a case that the launched coasters have become very fashionable - whereas inversions will remain the dependable classic - there needs to be more to a coaster for it to be world-class, but a coaster with some decent inversions in is generally a good ride.

Call launches a fad. There's only so high and fast they can go. :mrgreen:

X_da_C
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:21 pm

nemesis is the best coaster in europe in my oppinion and thats got 4 inversions and doesnt go over 50mph, nor does it abouve 50ft above ground level, lauched coasters are becoming more fasionable with ka, rita and now stealth all being built recently. inversions are not going out of fasion though, g-force was new this year and has 3 inversions. a good coaster will always be in fasion, and a lot of good coaster have and will continue to have inversions.

mat
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:30 pm

~Inversions alwaus will rock. Other things are becoming more popular, but inversions always will be an important part of coasters.
Last visit to the towers: 20th March 05
Unfortunately, unlike the ball, people do not bounce.

Anonymous

Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:34 pm

Its all to do with the new Intamin rocket coasters that keep popping up. Intamin are not a big fan of inversions on the rockets so most of the new coasters dont have them.

CGM
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:10 pm

Intamin are not a big fan of inversions on the rockets

I don't think that intamin are a massive fan of inversions full stop, they tend not to build that many coasters featuring them in comparison to other manufacturers.

What I would like to see would be Kingda Ka with an inverted tophat, like the Premier ones