UK theme parks from another point of view!

One colour track - or multi colour?

Poll runs till Thu Sep 12, 2041 1:52 pm

One colour
19 (58%)
Different colours
14 (42%)

Total votes: 33

Anonymous

American style multi colour track?

Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:56 pm

Whilst trying to plan a American theme park trip that will probably not happen, I've started to think about the differences in track colouring between US coasters and UK/European ones.

American coasters are often garish in their colour and have two colours on the track - one for the rails and another for the 'supporting bits' in between. Sometimes there's even a third colour for the supports themselves. European coasters seem to be much more subtle in their choice of track colour.

I personally prefer the whole track to be the same colour (I mean the outside and inside - not like Stealth with it's transitions from blue to white).

I'd be really intrigued to hear some other member's opinions.

Hydro_the_water_wizard
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:04 pm

I voted one colour because it looks very cheesy with more than one

It also looks much more tidy and less childish

CGM
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:30 pm

If I could vote for both, I would but I went for mixed colours for the sake of argument. You're right that one colour makes a coaster look tidy and less childish but US coaster culture is completely different to ours and over there, the more colour you put into it ,the better. It's a bit like showing off your coaster and can work in some cases eg Top Thrill Dragster which is all about presence. You could say that the extra colours are there instead of theming. You have to have some colour in your coasters, look at Japan. Most of their coasters are white and surrounded by concrete, it makes them look overly hostile in my opinion and not somwhere i would jump for joy for being at like I would in themeparks elswhere
Last edited by CGM on Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom M
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:33 pm

I voted one colour, I mean have a look at Shockwave... how rubbish does it look half painted light blue on the other half painted white/lightgrey! Things like Stealth look alright but when it is totally different colours and just suddenley changes it looks very poor.

Anonymous

Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:39 pm

It all depends on the theme of the coaster.

Lon
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:03 pm

Well I think it's to do with American's keen eye for colour schemes.

Anonymous

Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:30 pm

Lmao!

I actually like the idea of coasters with different colours, providing the colour scheme looks good together and also, as Thirst said, depending on whether it would work with the theme. Coasters like X look great and much more beautiful because they're so bright and colourful.

Obviously with Shockwave, it just looks like a job half-done (which it is, isn't it?) and that's not good.

I do like the subtle look, but different colours for rails, the track and the supports would be new and interesting.

There's so much you can do with how a coaster looks, and I don't think [posh voice] we Brits[/posh voice] really take advantage of this to its full potential. I think with a good colour scheme, a 'multi-coloured' coaster could look stunning (in the flesh).

Beaver Dude
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:53 pm

Where's the both option? as I think some rides look great with different colour schemes and I think this ride has the sexiest paint job ever.

http://www.rcdb.com/ig2514.htm

Silver bullet looks pretty good too.

http://www.rcdb.com/ig2536.htm

So yeah it would be a both the same but I don't have that option so I can't vote.

SW-Dave
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:36 pm

I tottaly agree with Mark, I generally cant stand american coasster colour schemes.

Give me Nemesis over the long stream of steel vomit that makes the Hulk anyday.

buggy
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:51 pm

it depends on the theme for me. The superman rides at the six flags parks have a good colour scheme for the theme, in that case i like the multicoloured track. But for rides like air, or rita, i don't think more than one colour would work.

SW-Dave
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:59 pm

"buggy" wrote:
it depends on the theme for me. The superman rides at the six flags parks have a good colour scheme for the theme, in that case i like the multicoloured track. But for rides like air, or rita, i don't think more than one colour would work.

The colour scheme fits the ride, but it still looks god awful! Generally, i dont think its the different colours, but more the subtlety and contrast of the colours, none of the rides at AT are down with bright outstanding colours, all are done with subtle, pleasing tones which look great IMO. UK rides in general (excluding fairground rides) do.

Anonymous

Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:01 pm

I reckon it depends what ride, i mean if there is a trippy ride i would agree but if not then i would give me a headache or something

Anonymous

Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:59 am

I voted one colour.

But i think some colours to look good together like red and orange, or lime and black or even maybe blue and sliver.