UK theme parks from another point of view!

118hazaman
TT Member
TT Member

Re: SW8 Construction Discussion

Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:19 pm

I was on park today and took some photos of the construction. It was very interesting to see the scale of SW8. It truly can't be understood from photos alone.

Bert
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:30 pm

Thanks for the pictures Harry!
 Nice to see that Lift hill fabrication has started! I bet you it will be almost complete by Scarefest. :D
[Insert Signature Here]

Formerly Bert2theSpark

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:19 pm

Some nice photos there, so thank you for sharing!

It looks as though all the bents for the first drop are now in place then. Some other observations are that more bents have been placed near the theming element, further work is taking place on the station roof, and it appears more concrete is being poured near to the existing concrete block underneath the lift hill.

With the scaffolding now up around all of the theming structure that's currently in place, it will be interesting to see whether work starts on cladding it, which will give a better idea of what it may end up looking like.

Robert.W
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:34 pm

Nice to see progress on the tracks near the themeing structure!

owenjj1969
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:20 am

I noticed there seems to be some discussion regarding the method of getting the train up the lift hill, it's been suggested it will use lims. Having looked at recent photo's I think if lims are used it will be as an anti roll back device, if you look at the top of the lift hill they have now placed a platform which would seat the cogs for the chain return. Also the big concrete block further down the lift hill has a channel running through it, to my mind that channel is there for the chain to go through!

simononestop
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:38 am

I still think the tunnel from the top of the lift to the drop is going to kill what would be a great ride?
looking wise and the view from the ride?
does the coaster make that much noise going round the top of the first drop? surely the tunnel should be all the way up the lift hill?

jasonped
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:29 am

I'm unsure about whether it will be a chain lift with LSM anti roll back or just LSM altogether. I agree there does seem to be some aspects of the lift at the moment, like the platform at the top that suggest there could be a chain. However, I'm going to just wait a bit before coming to my own full conclusion, as GCI have never made a coaster with any form of LSM technology, so it's hard to know exactly how it would look anyway. 

With that said, I do think how the lift and first drop look proves there will be no launched lift. First of all, we have tunnels on the first drop to prevent too much noise. This will be a combination of the coaster itself and the screaming guests. I feel if we were going to see any form of launch on the lift hill, this too would be enclosed to reduce noise. It wouldn't make sense to not cover this, but cover the turn when they could guarantee guests would scream at that moment. We'd see the tunnel stretch over the peak of the hill and further down the lift if there was going to be a launch at all. Particularly because this is the highest point of the ride and noise from screaming guests will be able to travel. Furthermore, the banking is not immediate on the first turn around before the first drop. It gradually banks as the train picks up speed round the first corner. If the train entered that first turn at speed we'd see banking begin much more sharply, otherwise there would be a huge spike of lateral g force. 

118hazaman
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:38 am

simononestop wrote:
I still think the tunnel from the top of the lift to the drop is going to kill what would be a great ride?
does the coaster make that much noise going round the top of the first drop? surely the tunnel should be all the way up the lift hill?

Why? Heading straight into a tunnel at the top of the lift, only to pop out with some speed underneath the lift hill should be a great experience, especially if the metal beams act as head choppers!

TheDuke
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:08 pm

I think it may be like the mine train(or thirteen) in the way that you're not going that quick but theres a lot of near miss element's that make it seem quicker.

Nickolai
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:11 pm

I hope they don't trim any of the ride. 
Formally Smiler313

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:17 pm

It has already been confirmed that the lift will not be a chain, only the steeper section of the ride is a chain, the rest is either LIM or LSM.. This is to ensure noise is reduced, and was noted in the planning. However my money is on LIM..

simononestop
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:53 pm

118hazaman wrote:
simononestop wrote:

Why? Heading straight into a tunnel at the top of the lift, only to pop out with some speed underneath the lift hill should be a great experience, especially if the metal beams act as head choppers!

maybe. I just think the inside of a box isn't as appealing as seeing the wooden structure of the ride? and going in and out of it? or seeing the view when getting tot he drop?

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:26 pm

PhNx Survivor wrote:
It has already been confirmed that the lift will not be a chain, only the steeper section of the ride is a chain, the rest is either LIM or LSM.. This is to ensure noise is reduced, and was noted in the planning. However my money is on LIM..

Where was this confirmed? The only "confirmation" that I've heard of was in the planning applications, which simply stated that a "silent lift hill" would be used. That doesn't necessarily confirm that LIM or LSM will be used, as the Smiler has a (nearly) silent lift hill - the technology for silent chain lift hills does exist. However, if there was some other confirmation, then do say.

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:33 pm

Adam.W wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote:

Where was this confirmed? The only "confirmation" that I've heard of was in the planning applications, which simply stated that a "silent lift hill" would be used. That doesn't necessarily confirm that LIM or LSM will be used, as the Smiler has a (nearly) silent lift hill - the technology for silent chain lift hills does exist. However, if there was some other confirmation, then do say.

I only confirmed that the rest of the lift will not be a chain lift, as the planning permission does state that a silent lift is used.. however with the recent picture that was provided by someone with another GCI that has a smiliar shape of the concrete structure, it is likely that the lift will be LIM.. however this is speculation which should be in the speculation topic.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:36 pm

For clarification, the noise assessment that was included in the planning application stated the following:

The coaster will have a ‘silent’ magnetic lift system that will guide the coaster to the first and highest drop. This will ensure that lift mechanism noise as the carriage travels to its highest elevation point will not be a concern.

This has been interpreted as meaning a magnetically-powered lift hill, but, as Adam says, this hasn't actually been confirmed, and could just mean that it will use similar technology to that seen on The Smiler. However, this is deviating from discussing the construction of SW8 and drifting into speculation for which there is a topic here.

On the topic of construction, TowersTimes Facebook have just posted a couple of photos showing that a scrim has now been added to the scaffolding that has recently gone up around the theming structure.

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:46 pm

Well that just takes the biscuit! Although I do see they doing the station roof.

Nickolai
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:02 pm

The other day I did see a MMM van on site so I don't know whether that is anything do with them starting do add theming to the structure or not. It does seem like they are trying to hide something now...
Formally Smiler313

owenjj1969
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:15 pm

jasonped wrote:
I'm unsure about whether it will be a chain lift with LSM anti roll back or just LSM altogether. I agree there does seem to be some aspects of the lift at the moment, like the platform at the top that suggest there could be a chain. However, I'm going to just wait a bit before coming to my own full conclusion, as GCI have never made a coaster with any form of LSM technology, so it's hard to know exactly how it would look anyway. 

With that said, I do think how the lift and first drop look proves there will be no launched lift. First of all, we have tunnels on the first drop to prevent too much noise. This will be a combination of the coaster itself and the screaming guests. I feel if we were going to see any form of launch on the lift hill, this too would be enclosed to reduce noise. It wouldn't make sense to not cover this, but cover the turn when they could guarantee guests would scream at that moment. We'd see the tunnel stretch over the peak of the hill and further down the lift if there was going to be a launch at all. Particularly because this is the highest point of the ride and noise from screaming guests will be able to travel. Furthermore, the banking is not immediate on the first turn around before the first drop. It gradually banks as the train picks up speed round the first corner. If the train entered that first turn at speed we'd see banking begin much more sharply, otherwise there would be a huge spike of lateral g force. 

You are correct GCI have never used magnetic technology for a lift hill, but Gerstlauer have! , I was wondering why there was a German flag on the Lift hill when it was topped off, I still think it will be a standard chain with a magnetic system to replace the normal lift hill Chain dog.

ATI
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:22 pm

^Gerstlauer possibly could do the lift system, but after the smiler incident, I don't know how likely that would be. Vekoma also make silent lift systems, with a magnetic fin located next to rack and dog system, keeping the dog away from the rack unless the train starts to roll backwards. This technology can be seen on some of Vekoma's newer coasters, as well as Wildfire at Kolmården. This should really be in the speculation thread, but oh well... :)
We were born to fly...

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:31 pm

From the selection of close-up images provided to TowersTimes yesterday (which have now been added to the SW8 minisite), it would seem that what was thought to have been the first layer of track is actually for the catwalks that sit alongside the track on GCI coasters.