UK theme parks from another point of view!

Crofty

Re: Merlin Summer Pass

Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:51 pm

I think it's more of a SEALIFE thing probably with Alton bolted on for added incentive. If they sold it at alton no doubt they would be overrun with people but loose a lot of Annual Pass sales. :D

I agree though, best idea for a longtime, even if it is for you miserable so and so's up North. :lol:

Stampida Joe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:53 pm

I think this could be seen almost as a direct response to claims made recently that Merlin annual pass holders living in the south got a better deal. By introducing this offer, it allows people in the midlands and the north an alternative to the full Merlin pass which some may say is not good value if you're unable to get down south
The Ghost of the sea, the Ghost of the sea

Craig

Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:40 pm

Sealife have done some pretty decent ticket offers in the past anyway, the Great Yarmouth Annual Pass offer springs to mind last year. Scarborough Sealife often do some ridiculous cheap tickets for York Dungeon too (not that it's that expensive in the first place!)

It seems like a very sensible idea at boosting attendance at Merlin's midway attractions by also giving Alton Towers entry as a benefit. I doubt we'll see this advertised widely outside the likes of Sealife and Dungeons though, there's too much money to be made in Merlin passes and in park specific passes.

zs chris
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Merlin Annual Pass

Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:16 am

Just noticed that if you buy the anual pass from either the Warwick or Chessington website, its £120, not £135 like the Alton and Thorpe website quote.. it also shows no date for this offer reverting either..

http://www.warwick-castle.co.uk/tickets ... abNumber=2

anyone know if this is a mistake or a genuine discount? might actually have to get one for that price :)

Dean

Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:26 pm

It's £120 at all attractions online...

Mattia
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:18 pm

Get ready for another Annual Pass change due to the new Merlin Entertainments London Eye logo (like they did with Warwick). It's not able to view yet as the file explaining the "New Annual Pass Re-design" is request only. I seriously hope they got rid of the gold! :x

Everything can be classed as theatre...even you are classed as theatre.

Dean

Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:57 pm

"Mattia" wrote:
Get ready for another Annual Pass change due to the new Merlin Entertainments London Eye logo (like they did with Warwick). It's not able to view yet as the file explaining the "New Annual Pass Re-design" is request only. I seriously hope they got rid of the gold! :x

The new card is on the Annual Pass website, they have just swapped the Madame Tussauds logo with the London Eye logo.

Still keeping my blue one though... :)

---- Post Info Added ----

"zs_chris" wrote:
Just noticed that if you buy the anual pass from either the Warwick or Chessington website, its £120, not £135 like the Alton and Thorpe website quote.. it also shows no date for this offer reverting either..

http://www.warwick-castle.co.uk/tickets ... abNumber=2

anyone know if this is a mistake or a genuine discount? might actually have to get one for that price :)

Looks like passes will have 20% off online only, for a while now...

Dylan
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:00 pm

Ooh I am off to the Towers tomorrow to renew my pass. I wonder if I will get one of these new ones. I'm bored of my old blue one!

Dean

Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:10 pm

"Dylan32" wrote:
Ooh I am off to the Towers tomorrow to renew my pass. I wonder if I will get one of these new ones. I'm bored of my old blue one!

Yes you'll get a Gold one without the new London Eye logo, I think

Can't see the new London Eye logo being on the cards just yet, poss not till next year now...

In which I do hope the Gold/Brown colour is replaced by Yellow or Purple, just not the colour it is now... :cry:

Dylan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:43 pm

I had a strange one today.
Headed up to the Towers this afternoon to renew my annual pass as it expired in early July.
I went to the little window to renew, and the lady said I wouldn't be able to get a renewal as it was more than 4 weeks since it expired. I mentioned that it states 8 weeks on the website. She said she needed to check with the annual pass office and disappeared off. When she came back, she stated that as I had it originally issued at Thorpe Park, it would be far 'less hassle' to renew it there, as if I had any problems it would I could go back there. I explained that I would probably be in Alton again before I visit Thorpe Park again (without a pass). She went off to the other room and came back and said "I could do it here, but it would be much better for you to renew at Thorpe as that is your local park", I can let you into the park now on this pass though.
Odd. I guess they didn't want my £100 and Thorpe need it more.
So I didn't bother and got in free.
I found it really odd though. I could of insisted, but I thought I wwouldn'tbother after being told twice it would be a lot of hassle!! Is it much hassle?

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:46 pm

I can't understand the business of having to renew at the park the pass was originally purchased from. Surely it can't be that difficult to have one central AP database that all attractions can access?
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:48 pm

"Vik" wrote:
I can't understand the business of having to renew at the park the pass was originally purchased from. Surely it can't be that difficult to have one central AP database that all attractions can access?

It would appear not. I had a Legoland Annual Pass in 2007-08, and renewed up to a Merlin Pass the following year. In doing so, I kept the same annual pass number. Also, the 'valid from' date on my pass (even my current, second pass), is the date on which I got my original Legoland Pass, so clearly my data is just kept at Legoland.

The other odd thing is that my pass won't let me through the barriers at either Chessington or Alton (but it works at Thorpe): I end up having to go to guest services, who spend a short while chatting amongst one another, deciding whether or not my pass is valid, before telling me to "go to Bob and tell him Sarah said to let me through". Very secure :roll:. There's clearly some weird database issues there...

Dylan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:06 pm

I always just assumed there would be a central database.
Oh well, I will need to squeeze in a Thorpe visit over the next week or two.
The first pass I had didn't work at the barriers at Thorpe, Chessie or Alton. They just issued me with a new one after a few failed attempts at getting into various parks!

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:12 pm

The other thing I've wondered: I swear I've spotted some Merlin annual passes that look different to mine, and I've wondered whether each attraction issues passes in it's own style...

Obviously the front is the same for all (currently hideous gold), but it's the back, printed side that I wonder about - mine is portrait, with the barcode at the top, info under that, and my picture + Merlin AP logo at the bottom. I'm sure I've seen some oriented landscape, though... anyone care to prove/disprove this?

TenZero
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:17 pm

"Islander" wrote:
The other thing I've wondered: I swear I've spotted some Merlin annual passes that look different to mine, and I've wondered whether each attraction issues passes in it's own style...

Obviously the front is the same for all (currently hideous gold), but it's the back, printed side that I wonder about - mine is portrait, with the barcode at the top, info under that, and my picture + Merlin AP logo at the bottom. I'm sure I've seen some oriented landscape, though... anyone care to prove/disprove this?

The reverse of most passes are different. I think it is just the way it's printed & set up by that particular park.

Dean

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:31 pm

"TenZero""][quote=""Islander" wrote:

The reverse of most passes are different. I think it is just the way it's printed & set up by that particular park.[/quote]

Legoland just like to be different, all other pass locations are printed in landscape, but only at Legoland is it Portrait...

Also Alton only prints two digits for the year, where as all the other parks print four digits...

DiogoJ42

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:33 pm

Some very strange tales here. I bought my original AP at Alton, and renew at either CWoA or Thorpe, but I've never had any hassle getting a new one.

Dean

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:41 pm

I think the lady misunderstood...

If your renewing your pass your details are re-entered into the computer, like a first time buy, so it doesn't matter where you renew.

But if you want a re-issue of a current card, then this can only be done at the issuing attraction.

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:44 pm

"Dean" wrote:
Legoland just like to be different, all other pass locations are printed in landscape, but only at Legoland is it Portrait...

Stupid question, but if it's landscape, how does it work in the turnstiles?

Also, I suspect this discrepancy is to do with the fact that Thorpe, CWoA and Alton will all have had the same original system installed by Tussauds, whereas Legoland won't have had Tussauds system, and has clearly stuck with their original design (the Merlin annual pass is laid out identically to the Legoland annual pass).

Dean

Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:12 pm

The passes scan either way round they are, the barcode is printed at the top edge on both styles...