UK theme parks from another point of view!

davewazere
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Annual Pass Restrictions

Fri May 07, 2010 10:19 am

i still think that even with the restrictions its still good value for money, even if you cant go to the london attractions in august. like was mentioned above, who wants to go when its really busy? i know i don't. i hate going to LDC when its busy as its not as good as when its quiet.

if you think about the blackpool AP and how that is more expensive and you get much less it puts it into prospective about how much of a good deal it is.

if people do keep moaning about it then they might restrict it even more!

if you really want to go to the restricted attrations then now there is a platinum AP with no restrictions. its more expensive but would be worth it if used at the right times.

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Annual Pass Restrictions

Fri May 07, 2010 5:22 pm

"davewazere" wrote:
if people do keep moaning about it then they might restrict it even more!

Where's the logic in that? They're not bloody-minded (at least most of the time) - they wouldn't do anything with the sole purpose of annoying people- it'd be suicide!

Dean

Re: The Merlin Annual Pass

Sun May 09, 2010 1:18 am

As a Merlin Annual Passholder, you can now enjoy unlimited fountain drink refills until 31st December 2010. Simply purchase a Merlin Annual Pass Drink Capsule for £15 at one of the five participating attractions and stay refreshed for the rest of the year.

These are now £15 which is the standard price for the refills, the £10 was introductory rate for new and renewing pass holders...

The refills are now available to all MAP holders for £15, which seems a bit pricey to me...

[url=http://www.merlinannualpass.co.uk/what_you_get/perks/unlimited_drink_refills.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.merlinannualpass.co.uk/what_ ... efills.asp[/url]

Simps100
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 14, 2010 7:14 pm

"Dean" wrote:
The refills are now available to all MAP holders for £15, which seems a bit pricey to me...

You are joking yeah?

When you consider a normal bottle of coke is what, £1.70. unlimited coke at ALL the parks for the entire year for £15 is a fantastic offer!

AstroDan

Fri May 14, 2010 7:42 pm

£15 is a good offer, but to be honest I won't be buying one as the containers are a pain in the neck.

It's £1.28 for a bottle with discount, and I probably buy one on every visit to a Merlin attraction, so probably about 20-25 bottles per year. For the convenience, the extra £10 or so that will cost me is, as far as I am concerned, worth it.

Good for those who can be bothered with the flask!

Also - odd how Thorpe is more than AT/CWOA for the bottles.

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 14, 2010 7:43 pm

"Simps100""][quote=""Dean" wrote:

You are joking yeah?

When you consider a normal bottle of coke is what, £1.70. unlimited coke at ALL the parks for the entire year for £15 is a fantastic offer![/quote]
Well, except that a) it was originally £10, and b) people now only have five-six months usage left.

AstroDan: it's £15 everywhere now. Originally they were £10, and weren't going to be sold past April. Instead of withdrawing them, though, they just upped the price by a fiver.

Simps100
TT Member
TT Member

Fri May 14, 2010 8:17 pm

Im sure all the people who missed out would rather pay the extra fiver than miss out on it fully though!

And yeah im not sure why its more at thorpe than the others, im sure they will follow suit soon though!

nickhutson
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Which Attraction gains most from the Annual Passes?

Sat May 15, 2010 12:30 am

I would say the year round attractions are better for the Annual Pass - as Chessie, Alton etc are closed for some of the time you have the annual pass - so, Dungeons, Tussaudes, Legoland Centre, London Eye etc are the best reasons for it!
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

elmerfudd
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 15, 2010 11:13 am

Sorry to change the topic slightly, but Im considering buying an annual pass next year, and I've been on the websites and I was just wondering how much it actually costs to get in the attractions. Do you go in completly free or is it just a discount? If so, by how much?

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 15, 2010 11:43 am

"elmerfudd" wrote:
Sorry to change the topic slightly, but Im considering buying an annual pass next year, and I've been on the websites and I was just wondering how much it actually costs to get in the attractions. Do you go in completly free or is it just a discount? If so, by how much?

Completely free - it'd be a naff deal if you still had to pay :P. For future reference, there's a Merlin Annual Pass thread here, which is the best place for questions like this.

elmerfudd
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 15, 2010 11:51 am

Ahhh legend, cheers man. Have a Rep Point =D
I was gonna say, it would be abit stingey if you still had to pay but no, thats great, thanks Islander.

DiogoJ42

Sat May 15, 2010 12:22 pm

:lol: You'd be amazed how many people at my work think that a) you have to pay per ride at parks, and b) an AP only gets you one free go per ride! #-o

elmerfudd
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 15, 2010 12:43 pm

^See, im not thattt stupid! =P
Anyway, I reckon the attractions which gain most from annual passes surly have to be London based attractions? The population not only in London, but just outside make it perfect in terms of travelling distance etc. I would imagine Alton Towers is certainly up there, but not as high as the dungeons, thorpe park, chessington and madame tussauds.

fitchy
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 20, 2010 3:41 pm

I would be interested to know if for example a pass is purchased at Thorpe park, do thorpe keep 100% of the money or is the cost of each pass divided between the attractions. Thorpe parks annual pass sales were among the poorest in the merlin group not so long ago with chessignton selling double the number of passes in the 2008 season!
[b]

kingcriplet
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 23, 2010 8:13 pm

Has any one else been really dissappointed by the AP discount on hotel rooms lately? I recently booked a room for splash and managed to save a whopping £4.60 on the online price using my AP :(

bradpeet
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 23, 2010 8:20 pm

"kingcriplet" wrote:
Has any one else been really dissappointed by the AP discount on hotel rooms lately? I recently booked a room for splash and managed to save a whopping £4.60 on the online price using my AP :(

I had a similar experience with the hotel at Chessington World of Adventures last week. I decided to stay at a nearby Travelodge instead.

kingcriplet
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 23, 2010 8:27 pm

Had totally the opposite with the hotel at CWOA, got Fri Sat and Sun night in August for just under £150 8)

pompeymich
TT Member
TT Member

Mon May 24, 2010 9:18 am

I'm also disappointed with the AP discounts at hotels - I rang up Chessington to get a quote for a 7 night stay at the Holiday Inn in October, and was told they couldn't give any discount at all! Discount is supposedly only available Thurs, Fri and Sun, and for a maximum of 2 nights. Didn't say anything about that on the AP website.

Their best rate was £119 a night - sounds like you got a bargain kingcriplet!

Their loss - I will stay at a Premier Inn instead now.
I\'m not overweight, just under-tall!

AstroDan

Tue May 25, 2010 8:30 pm

AP Discounts at AT have really dried up - it's usually cheaper through some other means. To be honest though, Saturday prices are insane this year. It's about £290 before any form of discount is added for a basic B&B room...

:(

Big Dave

Tue May 25, 2010 11:48 pm

Weathervane it is then :P