UK theme parks from another point of view!

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

The Merlin Annual Pass

Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:45 pm

I wasn't planning to renew my pass once mine expires, and I certainly won't be now. Usual Merlin trying to squeeze as much money as possible out of their most loyal customers.

I refuse to buy a premium pass, due to the whole concept of it.

I presume existing pass holders will still get free parking until their pass runs out? If not, I really won't be amused.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Merlin Annual Pass

Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:51 pm

Oh dear, time to vent some fury in a blog post I think, although I need to be quick as I calm down quickly...

Jem8472
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:03 pm

Me and the wife both have MAPs, because we are going to Orlando next year we were not planning on renewing out passes next year. But I dont know if we will get one in the future if you still have to pay for parking.

It was one of the things that made an MAP good. All we had to pay for was petrol to get there and nothing else.
And I am sure the parking charges will be going up this year if not then next year.

Bad move Merlin, shame on you :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anonymous

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:10 pm

I won't be renewing come Feb 2011. I've had enough of Merlin, I'd rather spend more money on travel and go to other, much better parks in the world. It's not just the parking charge, It's everything else.

They're quite literally FORCING regular visitors to get a premium pass, as paying parking every time which is diabolical. I think the express parking trick at towers after midday is one to hold on to... pathetic.

New for 2011, Standard merlin annual pass becomes useless during the month of August!

John
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:13 pm

Alternatively, just hang around the hotels until at least 2hrs after ride close, the attendants will have gone and there will be at least one barrier left open.

Dean

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:20 pm

They may not move the free parking perk over to Premium Pass?

I did think once they have two pass options, it's two easy to remove perks from one pass to another...

EDIT: AstroDan has contacted Merlin and this has been confirmed the Standard MAP no longer includes free parking...

Let's hope the mangament at the attractions see sense and continue to offer free parking to there customers?

Free parking on the Alton Towers Annual Pass?, so people may be better off buying a pass for there local park, but still doesn't slove the situation.
Last edited by Dean on Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Bah, I just published a (largely) neutral news item on it in the end. But I am angered by this, as I was when Tesco said they are paying 1 Clubcard point for every £2 spent, not every £1 anymore. But as big business knows, people come round and are ultimately their suckers.

Anonymous

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:26 pm

You see, when I asked one of the companies reps to bring up parking fees when I worked there. They came back with, we make a lot of money from parking fees. It's fine how it is, annual pass holders get free parking. If you can find a way to make us that sort of money, We'd happily remove the parking charge from everyone.

Then 6months later they remove the free parking for pass holders too? Great move :/
They will be losing money on annual pass purchases, any purchases made inside the park, hotels, rooms etc.

They may live to regret this as business.

Dylan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:33 pm

"BrettS" wrote:
Then 6months later they remove the free parking for pass holders too? Great move :/
They will be losing money on annual pass purchases, any purchases made inside the park, hotels, rooms etc.
They may live to regret this as business.

I can't see it impacting them that much to be honest, apart from a reduction in AP sale perhaps.
Hotel guests would still receive free parking?
It's really annoying though, for a 3 days visit to the park, staying off resort an AP holder would be expected to pay £15 in parking? Hmmm.

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:49 pm

I notice the USB wristband offer isn't mentioned for next year either.

I think the next thing will be a reduced 10% off food/shopping for standard holders.

Then Scarefest to be charged an EVENT FEE for standard.

Then early entry to be removed for standard.

Toilet charges to be brought in in 2013, with £1 for the average joe, 50p for standard MAP and free for premium.

Standard annual pass holders to be taken off the TH13TEEN train before the free fall drop.

Standard MAP holders to receive black and white on ride photos ony.

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:54 pm

It will be interesting to see if the Alton Towers Annual Pass keeps free car parking, or that gets removed too.

But I can honestly see 10% discount for Standard holders and 20% for Premium holders added to the T&Cs in 2012. :|

Danzaw*nk
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:57 pm

Are people starting to finally realise that Merlin & AT is not good value for money? A shedload of cash for an average park.
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3

Jem8472
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:59 pm

Well I doubt I will be visiting any of the parks before my pass runs out in March, but even if I did I would not be paying for parking as the T&C I got said it was free.

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:59 pm

If your complaint is regarding the Merlin Annual Pass specifically, then feel free to contact us in the following ways:

Email
[email protected]

How very tempting - mass lobby anyone?

Dean

Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:04 pm

I'm on the case about asking what Towers are doing about there car park charges...

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:10 pm

I have just phoned Merlin, but the person they were going to put me through to about this issue is off today, so I am going to get a call back hopefully tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what they have to say, as this decision is pathetic.

:)

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

The Merlin Annual Pass

Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:13 pm

Rather unhappy about this. I was wondering what value renewing next year was offering anyway what, with nothing new attraction wise next year at any of the parks that is above mediocre.

Removing what is quite a valuable perk to many just confirms how poor value the pass has become.

Did anyone else fill out the survey earlier this year? Basically asking questions such as 'would you buy a standard pass if there were restrictions on visiting in August'. Or 'Would you purchase if you had to pay for parking'. Come on, who answered yes them questions? ;)

I would suggest each and everyone of us writes a letter, sent by post as well to register our individual dissaproval of their actions. Also it could be a good idea to get a letter drafted where everyone can put their names to it and that can also be sent.

We know Alton towers and Merlin read these forums, but they will turn a blind eye to individual complaints on the forum, and probably expect it, but sending a letter expressing your concerns should at least raise the issue on how disgruntled everyone is.

Will they back track? Doubt it. Merlin have shown they have total disregard for their most loyal customers in their pursuit of ever more money.

Shame on you merlin

I wondering we could have a protest march. :sus:
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:16 pm

I'd be up for some co-ordinated mass complaint, yeah.

Jem8472
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:24 pm

I think that could be a good idea to get our complaint over a bit more than just some moans on the forum.

Will someone be drafting a letter or would it be better to a letter in our own words?

I think I will head over to money saving expert to spread the word. Thats got a lot of users on that forum!

Big Dave

Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:38 pm

To be honest, if they removed all their partner benefits such as RAC breakdown and other stuff, then I wouldn't be that bothered, but to remove a perk that will effect pretty much every annual pass holder is just stupidity. Yes it will cost them money in loss of revenue through carpark tickets, but surely they could have removed another partner benefit to make up for it.

Also why promote having up to 50% off an annual pass at around 11am on Facebook, only to slam us with this! Its like saying ok some of you can have up to 50% off, but everyone else will have to pay for it by not having free parking!

Man they really do make some shhh... rubbish decisions at that place!