UK theme parks from another point of view!

Fiyero
TT Member
TT Member

The Merlin Annual Pass

Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:06 pm

I wouldn't like the option of dropping Sealife Centres or any attractions really. Today I went on the london eye and visited the London Sealife aquarium, just because I could! I wanted to see the penguins again so whizzed through most of the sealife centre.
I love the parks but they are hard for me to get to by train (except chessington). I much prefer the a la carte option offering all attractions. I dislike the restrictions but they are removable if you get the premium pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BULBOUS
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Merlin Annual Pass

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:43 pm

"DiogoJ42" wrote:
I've been thinking about it, and if you don't count the ones at Alton and Chessie, I don't think I've set foot in a Sealife center since I was about 14. If anything should be dropped from the pass, it's those. All the other attractions can be grouped together and it still makes sense.

SEA-LIFE, the Legolands and Chessington all group together quite nicely actually... for families. Just because the chain is a different type of attraction doesn't mean it doesn't have its place on the pass. Should Warwick Castle be booted off the pass, too, because "geeks don't care about history, unless it's about a tree in a vault"? No - it's there because it's something different to do, and it gives the pass just that little bit more variety. :)

But how many roller coaster geeks REALLY care about fish that badly? :lol:

More than you'd think. ;)

And: oooh, 20% off at Rainforest Café? Yay - now all we need is for one to open at Alton Towers.
Adjective: Fat, round, or bulging.

jonnyfingers
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:53 am

Just wondering if anyone can help. When you call Merlin up to buy cheaper tickets for friends and family as part of the annual pass holder perk, how many tickets can you get? :)

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:28 am

There is no limit that I'm aware of, Jonny.

jonnyfingers
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:06 am

"Tom G" wrote:
There is no limit that I'm aware of, Jonny.

Thanks. I'll be giving them a call about it next week anyway.

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:59 pm

July's MAP update can be found here :)

Only particularly interesting thing to note is that they've brought back 20% off standard Picsolve photos for MAP holders :)

Edit: Well now, that was an epic fail... link's there now :P

kingcriplet
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:44 pm

Dont think this has been posted yet - when I went to upgrade the Tesco vouchers to a premium pass last week, got charged £35 per pass not the £30 it was originally - said this price increase was just new :evil:

HAJiME
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:48 pm

"nickdaegg" wrote:

But how many roller coaster geeks REALLY care about fish that badly? :lol:

More than you'd think. ;).

Yeah, I think most theme park enthusiasts are actually into attractions in general and other themed spaces such as zoos, aquariums, museums, etc.

Well, I am, anyway.

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:20 am

"kingcriplet" wrote:
Dont think this has been posted yet - when I went to upgrade the Tesco vouchers to a premium pass last week, got charged £35 per pass not the £30 it was originally - said this price increase was just new :evil:

It's been £35 for at least two-ish months now. But yes, stealth price increase ftl.

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:00 pm

Here's the September MAP update.

Nothing really of interest - Blackpool, friend tickets, Clutch Powers at LDC Manchester. Also has a link to a survey, which basically has the same questions as that used on the guest survey screens at the exit to each attraction ("How would you rate our staff/cleanliness/food etc.), for each attraction you say you visit. Me thinks that perhaps not enough people are using the survey screens?

Vladimir Bobinski
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:30 pm

Some of the recent changes to passes have made me felt slightly unloved. Such as the car park charges. This is one of the reasons I upgraded my standard pass to premium. I really don't think anyone who commits to a yearly membership should be asked to pay to park at one of their attractions. But hey, it was a cheap renewal upgrade and now I have no restrictions.

Driving out of chessington car park today for the first time was a pain, single, single barrier, and it didn't understand my merlin premium card! felt embarrassed to press the assistance button.

I wasn't impressed earlier in school term visiting Alton to find they are now manually checking passes at the scanners, what's the point of being able to cut through the riff raff and dawdlers to have to go to one side out of fear someone is misusing a pass.

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:02 am

They were always checked by staff anyway. They need to have more people scanning the passes at peak times as there have reportedly been queues to get in, although I have walked through quickly both this month and last on Sundays.

captain
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:00 pm

If I were to purchase a Merlin annual pass, is there a delay time while they make it? ie if I were to buy one now, could I collect it tomorrow?

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:47 pm

In a survey Merlin are currently conducting they ask for people's opinions on a third MAP.

They are suggesting the price of this pass to be £309pp, or you could pay £120 to upgrade. It has the following extra benefits:

-Free preferred car parking
-Unlimited fastracks on selected rides up until 2pm
-A free drinks capsule to use for the entire season on fountain drinks
-2 free guest tickets per year that friends/family can use at Merlin attractions
-A free limited edition lanyard

Don't think I've missed anything.

My personal opinion is that this is a rip off and I fear it would lead to entry restrictions to parks on the Premium Pass. Of course this none of this means it will happen and details could change. They were also asking in the survey suggestions for other benefits so more could be added if this does happen.

:)

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:12 pm

There will be some obsessives that go for it, but frankly it's a waste of money. I find it difficult to pay more for queue jumping on rides I have been on countless times before and I know that I will have minimal/no waits for if I go to parks on quiet days. This is very much a pass for those with money to burn or the ignorant.

Odds on the pass name.

Ultimate - 1.50
Star - 6.00
Platinum - 6.00
Elite - 26.00
Stupid - 1,000,000.00

Balb0wa
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:18 pm

If they did an alton version of it, id consider it

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

The Merlin Annual Pass

Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:19 pm

Hmm. Let me think :

Year 1. Very few buy it. Deemed Too expensive, despite the benefits.

Year 2. Restrictions begin to be added to premium pass and some perks are removed all together.

Uproar from all quarters.

Merlin review pricing structures, making the higher tier pass seem excellent value for money.

Subsequently people flock to the most expensive tier.

Year 3: realising that the higher tier pass has been more popular than expected, Feelers are put out for a new higher priced unlimited pass...

The circle continues.

That's me being cynical of course.

I do hope this higher priced pass isn't being introduced solely for the purpose of making the Premium pass restricted.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

Joel

Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:20 pm

"Tom G" wrote:
Odds on the pass name.

Ultimate - 1.50
Star - 6.00
Platinum - 6.00
Elite - 26.00
Stupid - 1,000,000.00

I'd go with:

IhavetoomuchmoneyandalanyardtogowithitMOFO! - 5,000,000 :P

themealgang
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:31 pm

Eh, hate the idea of this new pass! First of all, it's disgusting that they have the cheek to charge anyway for the use of FREE parking (that once was free for regular pass holders) and the use of now the fast track queue up until 2pm. Personally, this move isn't worthwhile as on most days the mornings are the most quiet times in a theme parks day!

Merlin, it's about time you pack away the money making scam techniques and move onto something else. That would be providing first class attractions and high quality service that you do so well in most situations...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

longy0151

Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:33 pm

£360 or whatever it is for a pass is just ridiculous.
The new slogan:It pays for itself in just 50 visits.
Who even goes that many times? Why can't Merlin just add a few extra perks onto the premium annual pass now and charge £200 for it or something?