UK theme parks from another point of view!

djtruefitt

Re: The Merlin Annual Pass

Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:17 pm

I went to Alton and sorted my new Merlin pass out today (I currently have an Alton pass).

It was quite hard to try and find out when the park was open, I sent a message on Twitter yesterday, but the reply just said the times vary each day and its best to email the annual pass email address. Instead I rang Alton up and ended being put through to the box office and the person said they were open today 10-4 and tomorrow 10-4, closed weekend and Monday, then back open on Tuesday, but she wasnt sure when they would be open then.

Anyway I went down in my dinner break from work. The park is stil open as im guessing its still the Santa sleepover event, as the park was still all Christmasy. I just said at the gate that I was getting an annual pass and the person let me through to the box office.

So the pass is all sorted, however when I got home I noticed she got my date of birth wrong (Im certainly not 14 years old :P). So I will probably just see if I can get that changed in Feb half term.

Dormiens-Dave

Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:18 pm

they always reprint errors on cards so you will be fine

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:26 pm

Just going back to this 12 months from purchase thing.

In September this year, I renewed to a Premium (upgraded a Standard if you like) and the date of expiry was initially put on my new pass as the date from which the pass was issued to me (that day) - not the date of purchase (which was online some weeks in advance).

However, as pointed out to me by my friend, that was still incorrect. When renewing, your new pass should be valid for twelve months from the date of the expiry of your last pass. So I went back and the date was changed to that, I actually gained slightly by having Premium benefits for about ten days extra I think.

If this policy has now changed, or the staff member was wrong to change the date, it'd be interesting to know...

Surely if they are cutting short or cancelling out your old pass at renewal, then THAT hasn't been valid for 12 months?

Dean

Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:20 am

25. Once an Annual Pass reaches its expiry date the holder will qualify for a reduced renewal rate provided that he or she renews their Annual Pass within 8 weeks of expiry and are able to present their expired card when making the renewal. The new pass’ Validity Period will commence on the ‘valid until’ date of the expired pass.

The new renewal date term came into affect this time last year, but it's very hit and miss if the date is changed to your current pass expiry date, when renewing.

So now you should never let your pass expire, and renew it within the 8 weeks of expiry.

As if you don't you could loose up 8 weeks on your new pass, if you let it expire...

But i've not seen this happen as yet, as cashiers just print them with the default date which is the date of issue.

So your expiry date should never change, from pass to pass...
Last edited by Dean on Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrbrightside
TT Member
TT Member

The Merlin Annual Pass

Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:56 am

They're not 'taking them back' though. They're issuing a new pass with a new date on - both passes work simultaneously for a short while.

Clearly the computer system used makes it difficult to add time to MAPs to stop abuse of the system by staff and so on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImage

djtruefitt

Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:27 pm

They can quite easily add extra days on to a pass, during scarefest when Kieron updated his current pass he asked if he could have a few days extra on it so that he would be able to attend the fireworks next year, the woman had to ask the manager but they said OK and she simply did it on the computer.

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:03 am

It looks like the Merlin Annual Pass sale will be available until 31st January now  :)
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:59 am

Awesome as I may be introducing a friend on one of the final two weekends of the months - was hoping but not expecting it to run that long. I suspect they haven't sold that many.

reddwarf
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:45 am

referring to the point where you said the could add extra days / months to a pass what happens to the printed expiry date on the back of the pass. do the staff just go by what the computer syas when it is swiped. surely if the card has an expiry date then you can't use it after that date?

Alton towers made this statement on their FB page

If your pass expires in the next 8 weeks we can add the time onto your pass from the date of your old pas expiring.

so if you pass expires in march then you could buy the passes in the sale and they would add a year onto your current pass so it would be valid until march 2013 (rather than Jan 2013).

Ultimately we will wait and hope they have the same park preview offer on again in march.

red

towersmike
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:08 pm

If anyone is planning on getting an annual pass during the sale, you can purchase them from the resort (guessing the annual pass office) every Wednesday in January between 2pm - 4pm.

Or if you e-mail the resort ([email protected]) You can send them your details and a photograph in an e-mail and they will arrange a telephone transaction.
Choo - Choo!!

RustyRider
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:43 pm

So merlin are being as helpful as ever with their customer services, I've sent an email, posted on their Facebook and tried ringing up, but to no avail.

Me n the mrs are going to London next Wednesday and wanted to buy 2 half price maps, is the map office within any of the attractions like at Alton/Thorpe etc. or is it just by the entrance?

If its within, will I get my ticket price refunded once I have the map? We were planning on getting them from the London eye, but realised its closed until the 21st so were going to SEALIFE instead.

Help much appreciated!
Ladies and Gentlemen, our first SuperHero TTFer :D - Magrathea.

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:02 pm

You can buy them from the ticket desks at the London attractions, before paying (though you'd get your entrance fee refunded at any attraction) :)

Magrathea
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:21 pm

Although, unless things have changed, MAPs cannot be redeemed at Dungeons, as there's just no space to do all the faffing with tickets :)

RustyRider
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:10 am

Islander wrote:
You can buy them from the ticket desks at the London attractions, before paying (though you'd get your entrance fee refunded at any attraction) :)

Cheers mate, you've been a great help, why do merlin find it so hard to answer their customers?!

Magrathea wrote:
Although, unless things have changed, MAPs cannot be redeemed at Dungeons, as there's just no space to do all the faffing with tickets :)

That won't be a problem anyway as we plan on returning to London at a later date to do the dungeons and the eye :). Thanks anyway!

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:59 am

An interesting thing to note: a friend of mine went to Chessington last Sunday to buy a half-price MAP. He was greeted with a 45 minute queue, with four sales desks open. He then went in to the zoo, which apparently was dead.

This promotion appears to be fairly popular...

Chris W
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:45 pm

Alton Towers are still selling 50% off Annual Passes this weekend.

https://twitter.com/#!/alton_towers/sta ... 0117532672

Islander
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:59 pm

Sounds to me like perhaps they've been selling more than they planned to...

RustyRider
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:17 pm

To be fair, it's been hugely popular, I'm kind of half they've stopped it early, as I reckon most people first use wil be the AP days.

Let's face it, we don't want a repeat of last years farce do we!!

marita
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:43 pm

They (Merlin) Have took the half price offer off from today..

I called AT they have stopped advertising it but if u have a prior appointment to fetch it then they will still honour it... not very good as pay day later this week so most will miss out

Naughty Merlin  :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

MikeJ
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:59 pm

I'd like to ask something as the T&C's have now vanished regarding this offer:

Was the offer available to order online and pick up at the chosen attraction at a later date?