UK theme parks from another point of view!

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Merlin Annual Pass

Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:36 am

I got an email.

I'm personally not getting excited
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

jayson2125
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:13 am

well its the 27th so for those that havent got the email here it is:

Merlin's January sale starts tomorrow at 10am. And we promise you won't get a better price to renew your Merlin Annual Pass all year.

We're telling you this in confidence because it's loyal passholders just like you who really appreciate that the Merlin Annual Pass is more than a savings scheme for great days out.

But you might not know that we've recently spent a lot of time talking and listening to hundreds of passholders, to find out what you think. And now we know that whilst some of you appreciate the great value of the Standard Pass, others want extra benefits to allow them to make the most of every moment.

So this year, we're freezing the price of the Standard Pass and upgrading our Premium Passes with some added magic and extra spells.

For just £14 extra per person (family) and £20 for individual passes, the new Premium Pass now comes with a special Privilege Pack containing: introductory fastrack tickets for Merlin theme parks (worth £15), birthday vouchers allowing your to bring 3 of your friends with you for just £10 (saving your friends up to £35 each) within 7 days of your birthday and extra goodies and insider advice to help you to make the most of every visit.

Which brings us magically back to our January sale. Regardless of when your current pass runs out, you can still benefit from the year's best prices by renewing it in advance and then picking up your new pass at a convenient time and place once your current pass has expired.

And for the real fanatics out there, a world exclusive V.I.P pass will be launching in March 2014 with only 1000 available (sign up if you want to be on the waiting list).

Here's to a magical 2014!

Think to note is that for premium pass renewals its just £93 which is fantastic..we have 5 so this really helps.

Many many thanks to Lewis97 for my signature file.

NickT04
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:45 am

Zac wrote:
I'm just reading about the birthday perk with the premium pass, allowing freinds to join you at a discounted rate but must be used within 7 days of your birthday, how will that work in December, as my birthday is the 23rd?

Join the club! Superb day for a birthday! The birthday pack is £20 extra isn't it? I'll just save the £20 :)

leeConway
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:19 am

A few errors on the T&C for the new passes so I expect them to change very soon, so beware what you read may be changed-
Please note that the EDF Energy London Eye will be shut for maintenance between 6 January to 17 January 2014 and the London Dungeon will be shut for relocation until March 2014.
(Last years terms for relocating of the Dungeons to the Bank)
13.4 NO entry to the London Dungeon from 1 March to 10 March and 29 October to 31 October;
(Again due to the new dungeon opening).
Family of 4 - consisting of either two individuals 12 years of age and over and two individuals under 12 years of age, or one individual 12 years of age and over and three individuals under 12 years of age, or three individuals 12 years of age and over and one individual under 12 years of age.
(This is different to what the webpage states).
Last edited by leeConway on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mattfat1
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:38 pm

So when renewing the pass what do you actually save by doing it in the Sales?

What I can see is a new premium is £125 in the sale and a renewal is £119 including the 40% renewal discount.
But doesn't that 40% apply all year on renewals so it will be £119 no matter when you renew?

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:50 pm

I believe that £119 renewal price is the January sale price, and not the standard renewal price throughout the year.

I'm not overly excited by the changes, but I'm happy with them. It's enough to make me upgrade from a standard to a premium. With the annual passes, people seem to expect an awful lot from them. When you consider, for £119 you're getting year round access to some of the UKs top attractions with gate prices exceeding £40 per person - it's a cracking deal. Anything else in addition to that is a bonus.

With regards to the VIP pass. That's definitely targeted towards enthusiasts and those seeking some exclusivity. It's something I'll be interested in, so long as the additional benefits are worthwhile. There's no point in having fastrack for yourself for example :lol:

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:05 pm

What happens if your birthday is when the park is closed?

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:18 pm

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
What happens if your birthday is when the park is closed?

That's something we're not sure of. It might be worth asking the Annual Pass team on Facebook, twitter or via their helplines to get a concrete answer.

I would imagine they'll say there are x amount of attractions open all year round for you to use the offer at.

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:59 pm

I think they have something on that in the FAQ's saying they will send you vouchers valid for a random time of year and you can use them in that validity space :)
Last edited by TomL on Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThrillJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:32 pm

Excited  :D

Just purchased my first MAP. Even though I live hours away from my nearest Merlin attraction I'm still going to attempt to get my moneys worth. Now looking forwards to March when all the parks start to reopen.
ThrillJunkieUK

DSA
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:47 pm

TomL wrote:
I think they have something on that in the FAQ's saying they will send you vouchers valid for a random time of year and you can use them in that validity space :)

Can you provide a link/source for the above?  All the information I can find states 7 days either side of your birthday. Several attractions are open "all year", but there is a clear difference in the voucher value depending on where it is used.  In my opinion the vouchers should be adjusted to allow use "on a single day of your choosing", once per year.  With date restrictions if necessary. A disappointing "perk" for those with Winter birthdays.

As an alternative perhaps they should offer two "windows", the first as it stands, and the other six months later?  However I'm sure they will have already discussed this at length, and I doubt anything will change even if there are numerous comments about it.

newrider
TT Member
TT Member

Europa Park - Merlin Annual Pass

Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:22 pm

Hi,

It looks like at one point Merlin Annual Pass holders got one free entry per year to Europa Park. Does anyone know if this is still the case? I'm guessing not, since there have been a lot of changes... But I couldn't see anything definite!

I think it's the next place I want to go to... it looks fantastic!

Thanks!!

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: Europa Park - Merlin Annual Pass

Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:46 pm

After the recent changes, it appears that Standard and Premium passholders only have access to Merlin attractions in the UK, although I believe this is the same as it has been for a while. However, if you are a VIP passholder you have access to all Merlin attractions worldwide.

newrider
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:48 pm

Fascinated by this VIP Annual Pass business. The only reason I'm tempted is because of the "unlimited fasttrack"; I willingly pay for Fasttrack whenever I go to parks because I don't like queueing.

But damn, £500 is a lot of money. And I doubt it'll be eligible for the various renewal deals the standard one has. The main reason I have an A/P is because I go on my own quite a bit and the park entry deals are mostly targeted at two-for-one affairs.

I don't really understand people who would be tempted by the "Global" access since by the time you've spent £150 minimum on flights/train tickets/hotels, even a £40 park entry fee isn't exactly going to break the bank...

A Disneyland Paris A/P on the other hand... now that is tempting for me ;-)
Last edited by newrider on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jackcullen
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Europa Park - Merlin Annual Pass

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:48 pm

The Europa Park free entry was a deal between Tussauds and Europa 'back in the day'.

It used to get you a free entry into Efteling, Parc Asterix, Liseberg and maybe a couple others but they don't have the offer anymore.

It disappeared years ago now unfortunately.
Last edited by jackcullen on Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

audiobookman
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:19 pm

Yes I totally agree, the cost of that pass is shocking!!
But they have quoted only 1000 will be sold so I suppose they can dictate the cost.
I wish they would allow you to split the passes up, I have the family premium pass, our kids are young so do not attend the parks as often as we do (height restrictions), if I could just get two adult platinum passes and the other 3 premium passes I would more than likely apply to purchase. But having to buy 5 is way out of the ball park.
As with everything Merlin though this is a trial and next year it will more likely be broader and cheaper. I think they're just testing the waters at the moment.
Last edited by audiobookman on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:08 pm

I've got two quick questions about the new MAPS.

1.  On the MAP website it says that the Premium and VIP pass will have "Priority entry to all attractions".  I presume that all attractions will now have a separate queuing system for priority entry for the premium and VIP pass holders?

2. How much dose it currently cost to upgrade the Standard pass to the Premium and will it currently be cheaper to upgrade in the January sale? 

Cheers

Roy

ps.. I've a winter birthday too  :(
Last edited by ROYJESS on Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeanGaryCox
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:56 pm

ROYJESS wrote:
ps.. I've a winter birthday too  :(

I've received my premium passes today... In the letter it states that we shall receive our perks package in time for the February half term, and that if your birthday is before you'll be sent an e-mail with the vouchers. So unfortunately, if your birthday is out of theme park season, it seems that it's the other attractions you can only go to!  :roll:
Last edited by DeanGaryCox on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image 2014

Michelle
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

The Merlin Annual Pass

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:34 am

Ill be renewing my Premium pass, I know I got my money's worth out of last year's and this one will cost me £2 less so I'm happy to pay it.

The VIP pass is an interesting concept, in the case of the person above who says they regularly buy fast track then I suppose it makes perfect sense. For me though (and I'd imagine a fair few others) as my friends will not purchase FT sadly it would be a waste of a lot of money.

The Birthday vouchers really do seem to be a contentious issue, but if I'm honest while the member who has stated above is technically correct; a person visiting Sealife is getting less discount than a person visiting a Theme Park- still more than the pass-holders got last year :-).

I think sometimes that with us being an AT forum we forget that it's a MERLIN pass. The Theme Park offering of the pass is relatively little compared to all of the other attractions and while I can understand the frustrations of people who want to use the perk for Alton etc, its being marketed as a BIRTHDAY perk hence the time restriction on it. I'm sure plenty of families who purchase the pass will happily use the vouchers for other attractions, and for that reason I think Merlin are unlikely to change the rules on it, nor do I think they should really. If I'm honest, we'd have found something to complain about regardless of what the offering was, and for £125 it's still very good value for money.

lindsay.j.chant
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:05 am

Just wondering, myself and a couple of friends have considered getting the family pass as we normally travel together (also works out cheaper), but if one of us was unable to go for example, unable to get the time off work, would the other 2 still be able to use the pass? I can't seem to find anything about that on the website, unless I'm not looking properly.
Our goal in life is to overcome obstacles placed in our way without destroying them, so that those who follow us may share in our triumphs.