UK theme parks from another point of view!

djneice
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Merlin Annual Pass

Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:55 pm

Question  :lol:

I am planning on renewing in the sale, but I might as well ask this just to confirm what I think.

Can you use tesco clubcard vouchers to renew in anyway?  I assume you cant.

Can you use tesco clubcard vouchers to buy the premium pass? As I only remember seeing it for a standard pass.

thanks
Last edited by djneice on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeanGaryCox
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:22 pm

taken from FAQ's on alton towers website for the january merlin pass sale...

I want to exchange my Tesco Clubcard token for a Merlin Annual Pass, how can I do this?
Simply bring your token to Alton Towers Resort or pop it in the post to us!

I used Tesco Clubcard or Sainsburys Nectar loyalty scheme to purchase my Merlin Annual Pass, what type of Pass does this entitle me to?
If you have points to redeem against a Merlin Annual Pass you will receive a Standard Individual Pass. You can choose to upgrade to a Premium Pass when you exchange your voucher at an attraction or at any point during the life of your Pass for £35.

hope this helps.
Last edited by DeanGaryCox on Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image 2014

zippy
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:37 am

Kirsty25 wrote:
But they have, there are other Merlin attractions open over the closed season. It's not their fault you would have liked to use this at a Theme Park over another Merlin Attraction. I don't think the "Birthday" offer should be available all year on a one use policy when there are decent other attractions. Personally, I'd be using them on the Dungeons if I was in that position, make a day trip or a short stay of it rather than lose it.

It actually makes perfect business sense to offer it and keep it limited. They'd be losing what nearly £40 on gate prices, less on online prices PER TICKET SOLD if they ran it as a once a year offer, whereas this way, during March - November they lose this amount per ticket sold and November - March they lose maybe £10 a ticket...

Likewise it isn't the person's fault that they were born at a time of year that restricts the attractions at which they can use the offer.

Zach
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:54 pm

zippy wrote:
Kirsty25 wrote:
But they have, there are other Merlin attractions open over the closed season. It's not their fault you would have liked to use this at a Theme Park over another Merlin Attraction. I don't think the "Birthday" offer should be available all year on a one use policy when there are decent other attractions. Personally, I'd be using them on the Dungeons if I was in that position, make a day trip or a short stay of it rather than lose it.

It actually makes perfect business sense to offer it and keep it limited. They'd be losing what nearly £40 on gate prices, less on online prices PER TICKET SOLD if they ran it as a once a year offer, whereas this way, during March - November they lose this amount per ticket sold and November - March they lose maybe £10 a ticket...

Likewise it isn't the person's fault that they were born at a time of year that restricts the attractions at which they can use the offer.

I think what Kirsty is trying to say is you can't have a go at merlin as you do read the offer before you purchase, and there are places and plenty of them you can go during nov-March :) also I wouldn't complain this what it is stated which is a 'perk' a nice gesture by merlin and all these people complaining are just throwing it back in Merlin's face, they have added this on to what could just be your normal premium annual pass with free parking & 20%discount and from what I understand price for the premium pass hasn't increased with the addition of the birthday pack so it's nor here or there

ThrillJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:19 pm

Zippy,

I finally got a reply from Merlin regarding this.

This was there reply:

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your email and apologies for the delay in response we have been experiencing high volumes of customer enquiries.

Although our theme parks are closed during winter, we have many other magical worlds waiting to be explored where you can use the vouchers including The Dungeons, Madame Tussauds, SEA LIFE Centres & Sanctuaries, the EDF Energy London Eye & the Blackpool Tower attractions.

Alternatively if your birthday falls before the season starts and are a ‘Theme Park fanatic’ you can use the Birthday Club vouchers at any one of our Theme Parks from the 14th of March 2014 to the 29th of March 2014 – Subject to attraction operating calendars – check website before visiting.

Kind Regards,

The Merlin Annual Pass Team

I'm happy with this  :D
ThrillJunkieUK

DavidRock
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:46 pm

Right guys and girls of the forum just a little help required.......

I've had a Merlin pass since they were the old Tussards pass way back in 2000 but last year with the Membership I've changed my pass so I don't have to renew and let it roll on. My membership was sorted out no problem took details all fine and processed with ease.

My partner wants a membership for a family of three (herself, her sister and her sisters five year old)

I told them to call Merlin Membership and ask for a family of three Premium membership which would be £11.99 each.

My partners mother would be paying the direct debit for them. She has called Merlin and the person that they spoke to said that the premium passes were not valid on special events. I told them that the premium has no exclusions unlike the standard pass.

As my partners mother will be paying the direct debit but won't be a card holder Merlin has said they they need her permission to collect the passes which is fine. When giving the bank details across Merlin have said that the details they have been given don't match so they can't process the transaction.

My partners mother has contacted her bank and the bank have said there is not a problem as she has banked there for years and has other Direct Debits on the account which are fine. The bank advised her to call Merlin again as there was no problem.

After a second call to Merlin they were told again that they should buy the passes outright but we said we want Premium Memberships. They were then told again that the details don't match and to call the bank back again but the bank have said nothing is wrong and don't know why Merlin can't process it.

It seems that Merlin won't  process it after us being told by the bank that the details are perfectly fine. They have tried twice now and were told to send an e-mail to [email protected]

I have used Merlin for years and have always got friends and family tickets without any fuss whatsoever I even set my membership hassle free.

My mothers partner is now at the stage where they are thinking of giving up getting the memberships as Merlin keep saying the bank details are wrong but the bank are saying they are correct.

Can you guys provide any help as they really do want memberships but are. kW at the stage where they are starting to think do Merlin even want the money at all.?

Many thanks

lewis97
Team Admin
Team Admin

Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:43 am

If they're not having any luck over the phone, then it is possible to buy annual passes online.

jon18uk
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:37 am

I wouldn't bother with the membership. Get annual passes in the sale price, works out much cheaper than the monthly charges. Also renewal makes an annual pass cheaper in the second and subsequent years, whereas a membership continues at the same price.
Could always use a credit card if paying upfront is an issue, the saving on the pass during the January sale will offset the interest charged.

Premium passes are not valid for special events such as Alton Towers Live concert, Thorpe Park Summer Nights or Ministry of Sound nights. This is probably what the confusion is about special events.

DavidRock
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:18 am

Cheers for the advice guys, I did mention that the annual passes are cheaper at present but they can't afford to pay the £300+ all in one go due to a new house I don't know about the credit card situation if they have one.

I knew that the concert days were not included but I know the fireworks are covered as I met some of you guys and girls in the Thi3teen queue last year.

I'll give Merlin a call next time I go over there and see what I can sort. Here's hoping we can get the memberships sorted. (Fingers crossed)

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Europa Park - Merlin Annual Pass

Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:13 am

You also used to get into PortAventura as well. Some of the best theme parks in Europe were included on the Tussauds pass. Then sadly Merlin took over  :x

DanM3
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:58 am

Don't think I'm going to renew my pass this year. I enjoyed having it last year but don't think I'll visit enough this year to make it worth it. I enjoy the attractions but there's only so many visits before it gets a bit samey. Plus visiting Orlando's theme parks has put into perspective how UK theme parks are a bit behind

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:54 am

Last year I got to the point where chessington just got so samey (it's my local and I was going pretty much every week), so I decided to have a 2 month break from all theme parks, (3 for some) and when I went back, it was much better. You still get your money's worth because it pays for itself in what, 2 visits?
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

cubwolf
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:11 am

I had the bank issue when i took out my membership on day one. In the end i had to email a copy bank statement to satisfy them it was my account.

DanM3
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:16 am

Ilovecoasters wrote:
Last year I got to the point where chessington just got so samey (it's my local and I was going pretty much every week), so I decided to have a 2 month break from all theme parks, (3 for some) and when I went back, it was much better. You still get your money's worth because it pays for itself in what, 2 visits?

Me and my girlfriend had them last year. So with 2 for 1 vouchers it's quite a few trips until it pays for itself. I can renew until April so might change my mind but it's quite expensive in my opinion

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:00 pm

DanM3 wrote:
Ilovecoasters wrote:

Me and my girlfriend had them last year. So with 2 for 1 vouchers it's quite a few trips until it pays for itself. I can renew until April so might change my mind but it's quite expensive in my opinion

It takes a total of seven trips to any of Chessington, Thorpe and Alton (or a combination) for a saving on a standard pass, which is approximately one per month of the open season. It depends how often you would go ...

[Based on gate price using 2 for 1s on each visit]

DavidRock
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:58 am

cubwolf wrote:
I had the bank issue when i took out my membership on day one. In the end i had to email a copy bank statement to satisfy them it was my account.

Tried to call again today as we are still awaiting an e-mail response from last Monday. We have now been told that Merlin have stopped selling the memberships and that they are launching a new membership with features in the Spring.

There goes our trip to Alton Towers for half term as we were planning on getting the memberships collected during the week. Don't see the point in paying £45 and then getting Memberships on top.

My membership is still running just wished it was as easy as it was to get mine for my partner and her sister and her son.

Does anyone else know what Merlin are doing? As it seems lately they are proving to be more trouble than its worth. As I said I've never had any problems in the past?

jon18uk
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:34 am

DavidRock wrote:

Does anyone else know what Merlin are doing? As it seems lately they are proving to be more trouble than its worth. As I said I've never had any problems in the past?

I guess they have realised that as the normal annual pass gets cheaper after 12 months due to renewals and are looking at how they can make the membership better value? I don't think many people have gone for membership as annual passes are cheaper.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:22 am

Or those who have got membership are now kicking themselves!
If you go down to the woods today

DSA
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:53 am

Can anyone advise which entrance/queue should be used for collecting a prepaid premium merlin annual pass at London Sealife please?  I can't find any guidance on the website, except that the Priority entrance may be used once you have a pass.

Secondly I have seen comments elsewhere that some passes are being printed at London Sealife without a number under the barcode.  Is this something to look out for, or will it have no effect on later use of the pass?  Thanks.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:21 pm

For the first part of your question, I can confidently say that you will need to join the main line, the priority line leads straight to turnstiles, you would need to go to the desk (which is a pain, I know)

Secondly, I don't know about the sealife printing, but I believe no barcode would be a problem as isn't that what you scan at the turnstiles?

Hope I could help :)