UK theme parks from another point of view!

hursty
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Merlin Annual Pass

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:34 am

Hey stageshoot! Great first post, thanks for sharing your experiences.

stageshoot wrote:
Some people we have spoken to have been told that the Extra Halloween items will be included on the pass, but we wait to see,

This is something we're hoping to clarify. It's currently looking like you might get more VIP benefits for Halloween at Thorpe than Alton Towers - but it's early days.

There were a few things snuck into the T&Cs excluding some of the secondary attraction at Alton Towers. Which were unhelpfully only made available after the phone lines were opened.

11. An Annual Pass is subject to additional charges for entry into:
[snip]
11.4 Secondary attractions at Alton Towers Resort Theme Parks including, but not limited to, Extraordinary Golf, Alton Towers Spa and Scarefest Mazes;

Which seems at odds with the big claim that all secondary attractions included in the V.I.P. Pass

Do we get all the secondary attractions included in the V.I.P. Pass i.e. Merlin Dragon Tower at Warwick Castle?
Secondary attractions will be included into the V.I.P. Pass like the Merlin Dragon Tower at Warwick Castle.

I'll also be interesting what we might be able to expect for Fireworks.

Ps: What's Scrat doing with my lens, give it back!

stageshoot
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:06 am

Re the Halloween attractions.

To be honest whatever they do is fine. So far they seem to be going above and beyond at Alton to make everything perfect

Really busy here this morning smiler went to 2 hours really quickly but the vip pass is still holding at about 10 mind from in to out

I asked about a hot drink container instead of the quencher and they said there was no annual one just the daily one but gave me one free anyway, which I really appreciated and felt was customer service at its best.

Spending the morning in the park then off to the water park after lunch

Team Edit: Removed duplicate post ~ hursty

newrider
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:43 pm

I've ordered one too and look forward to seeing how it works. I would have got one sooner, except they never emailed my email address on the "waiting list", and I got bored of checking after it was delayed from May.

My motivation is different from others' - I tend to go on my own, but can only get away at weekends as I work in London. I don't think it saves money at all as compared with buying the "one of everything" fastracks individuals (I only visit once a month or so) - but when you consider the extra convenience (premium parking, ability to re-ride, at Thorpe the one-of-each pass is scheduled by time slots which is inconvenient, same for Sonic Spinball and Smiler at AT, and not available individually for certain Chessington attractions) it's a no brainer.

It'll be interesting to see what the reception is in a year or so, when the "buzz" from the Launch has worn off. Choice seating sounds great, but not something I would expect by any means... And almost seems a little unfair!

It will definitely affect when I go - ironically I'll be MORE inclined to visit when it's busy (both as the weather is usually nicer, and to get more value out of the pass) when before it was entirely the opposite!

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:10 pm

I just want to say thank you to everyone for sharing information about the VIP Merlin Pass. I will let people know on Saturday how Thorpe Park treat me. But so far, i have no been disappointed by their service.

stageshoot
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:38 pm

Dom wrote:
I just want to say thank you to everyone for sharing information about the VIP Merlin Pass. I will let people know on Saturday how Thorpe Park treat me. But so far, i have no been disappointed by their service.

Hopefully you will get a good day, it was really packed last Saturday, and although we had problems (Many Tech Issues and Puke stops on the rides), which are out of the hands of the staff on site. So cannot be moaned about as these things do happen!!

The staff were helpful and friendly although I still think the Alton Towers staff are the best,

Just got home from AT again now,

Spent the first 90mins on the Smiler (7 Rides), one staff member offered Front Row every time we saw them, although we declined it after the first ride, seemed unfair to keep taking it and blocking others.

On Rita the batcher took us straight from the exit to front row, and tried to move people out of line who were due to go next to let us ride, again we had to persude them that it was fine and we would wait for the people in the batching area to go before we went as it seems very unfair to move people already in line in the batching area.

Headed over to the Water Park for the afternoon, no problem getting in welcomed in and had a very pleasant afternoon in the outside pool, but left the sun lotion in the car so stinging a bit now

Working tomorrow Sigh!!. But may pop back again Wednesday or Friday.

RobStandley
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:24 pm

Can you purchase the VIP annual passes on a monthly basis or is it upfront £500?

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:42 pm

Nope, it's a one-off payment of £500, or £400 for family passes, for the year.

stageshoot
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:44 pm

RobStandley wrote:
Can you purchase the VIP annual passes on a monthly basis or is it upfront £500?

Its full price upfront only, there are no monthly pass deals at the moment,

The whole monthly scheme was too open to abuse last year, take out a sub, hammer it hard for a couple of months during the prime summer period then cancel the direct debit. Not sure how they are going to be able to get around that if they reintorduce monthly subs, unless they make it like Gym membership and sell it you as a 12 month prepaid finance contract, so they have some comeback if the buyer drops out part way through the 12 month peroid.

stageshoot
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:28 am

Huge Pass Boxes arrived by Courier this morning!!

nuttyslack
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:58 am

Got mine this morning number 0271

stageshoot
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:10 pm

nuttyslack wrote:
Got mine this morning number 0271

We are 34,35,36 And got through at dead on 6pm on the launch day.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:58 pm

Didn't get a lanyard in my package boooo, not bothered though the golden tickets and free tickets are all I want. # 0236 here.

RobStandley
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:59 pm

Just saw on the Merlin site it was upfront only. Bit of a wounder, had I had a few more months to put some cash a side I would have got one of these!

I do think introducing a monthly payment scheme for the annual pass & VIP would be advantageous. As previously stated, a contract would need to be made to cover the 12 months.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:08 pm

Received my pack today. Definitely the highlight of my day, i must admit. The gold tickets make me feel like i won a trip to Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory.

nuttyslack
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:16 pm

Mabalzich.

did you get the card holder and helpline card? The lanyard was under the big booklet in mine.

I was disappointed with the vip pin I was hoping for something a bit bigger.

To all those that have collected their passes and returned do you have to queue up with everyone else or have we got our own entrance?

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:25 pm

Yea I got the helpline card and holder, dismantled the box but no lanyard present. Luckily I don't wear those round my neck anyway, when its needed I'll just pull the card outta my wallet.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:10 pm

Mabalzich wrote:
Yea I got the helpline card and holder, dismantled the box but no lanyard present. Luckily I don't wear those round my neck anyway, when its needed I'll just pull the card outta my wallet.

Thing is, if you don't have it on show staff won't necessarily give you the VIP treatment all the time.

pob
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:39 pm

Had a delivery today but only one VIP pack instead of 3. The one we received was addressed to my 10 years old son #0024

Paul_richard
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:28 am

Hi,

We recently renewed our premium passes, if you buy the VIP pass do you get a refund on your old passes? I assume you don't but can't find any information.

Thanks

stageshoot
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:48 am

Paul_richard wrote:
Hi,

We recently renewed our premium passes, if you buy the VIP pass do you get a refund on your old passes? I assume you don't but can't find any information.

Thanks

Yes they take your old passes off you when you collect the vip pass and refund a pro rata amount for the time remaining on your old pass by cheque or to the credit card you paid with

Merlin staff have confirmed this on Facebook in the long thread on the vip pass and if you phone to book a vip pass the call centre staff will also confirm