UK theme parks from another point of view!

djneice
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Merlin Annual Pass

Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:09 pm

ladyofthelake wrote:
djneice wrote:
Is that if you renewed online they will be sending these out in the post? Because I have done this but my confirmation email says nothing about the packs or when they will be received.

I believe that you will receive your pack if you have activated your pass. When I activated mine I was given a letter confirming that my pack would be sent out by post. So if you have yet to activate your renewal you won't receive your pack until you do this at whichever attraction you chose to collect your passes from. if you renewed online and had your passes posted to you then I would imagine your pack will follow when they are sent out.

Ah ok, for example I said I would collect from Alton Towers, which I was planning to do when I visit on the 16th, and looking at my current pass it doesnt run out till the 23rd, can I still get the new pass before the end date of the one I already have?
Last edited by djneice on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Willis
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:30 pm

Anyone seen this yet about this years' drinks capsule?

http://www.merlinannualpass.co.uk/capsule.aspx

Sorry if it's been mentioned already!

Dr.Kelham
TT Member
TT Member

The Merlin Annual Pass

Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:55 pm

I have literally just asked a question about this so thank you very much, will certainly be purchasing one for my self

Whilst I am here, I noticed my MAP email mentions my visit date is December this year when I said I will be visiting in March, does this matter?
With thanks to lewis97 :)

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:55 pm

I have to say that at first glance this appears to offer a poorer deal than the previous Annual Pass capsule.

Whether it is value for money for individuals will very much depend on how often you visit a Merlin attraction, and how often you refill the capsule - as they are making the capsules smaller though, it will inevitably mean you will have to refill your capsules more often.

If we use the previous Capsule price of £16 as a starting point - under the new scheme, for that price you would get the capsule (costing £1.99), plus approximately 18 refills (at 75p each). If we assume you would fill your capsule on average 4 times each visit then once you have done 5 days at any attractions you will be paying more for your drinks refills than under the old scheme.

Of course there is always the consideration that 75p for a refill is much less than the £1.50/£2 that Merlin charge for bottled drinks. It will be interesting to see what the non-fizzy option is as personally I would want more than just water if I was paying for a refill.

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:11 pm

That news is a big sigh of relief for me! Well, not that they've made them smaller with the 75p per refil cost but that 2013 pass holders will be able to keep having the free refils with the new quenchers.

Jamie
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:15 pm

So, a few months after the sale ended, Merlin decided to release these details about the drinks capsule.

I am not at all happy about this, and they have also changed some of the Perks, stating that passholders only recieve "discounts on food and beverages" - does this mean that the shops don't have discounts anymore?  Also, I'd bet my annual pass that it's only 10% now because the figure of 20% is something that's been heavily advertised before.

I am disgusted about this, as all these changes have been made behind our backs whilst we were purchasing passes in the sale (and being told false information, as it's been changed before we've made use of them) so that it doesn't affect sales.

Magical?  I don't think so!
Last edited by Jamie on Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"ENTER VALHALLA!"

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:19 pm

It cost me 41.2p per refill last year and I still have 2 months left on our capsules.  So this is mega worse value for a smaller capsule. .. another reason not to renew. What is next, car parking going up to £8 a day and a £2 charge to use the monorail and skyride?
If you go down to the woods today

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:23 pm

Jamie wrote:
I am not at all happy about this, and they have also changed some of the Perks, stating that passholders only recieve "discounts on food and beverages" - does this mean that the shops don't have discounts anymore?  Also, I'd bet my annual pass that it's only 10% now because the figure of 20% is something that's been heavily advertised before.

Merlin are still advertising 20% off shopping and dining on the perks page of their website so it looks like that is staying for the time being.

DSA
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:08 pm

... although the T&Cs state that the 20% offer ends 31/12/13.

That said the London Dungeon is still shut on the main T&Cs for relocation until March 2014, which is curious as I visited recently! (And both rides were out of action which was disappointing, with only a very hidden note on the website about the boat ride maintenance, and a note on the attraction door saying the drop ride was out of order.  Also the taxi ride at MT was out of service.)

Plus no sign of the premium pack yet, "to be delivered in time for half term"...

I note they do not quote how much smaller the revised drinks capsules are.  I think the payment element will result in longer queues to refill (presumably no more self-serve outside Duel?) and they will need a lot of change in 5p and 20p pieces.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:12 am

I think it's a rip-off.

£1.99, and then 75p to refill! You realise you've over-spent by the time you're at 20 refills (to put that into perspective that's about a refill per two visits to a Merlin attraction for me, which completely gets rid of the whole "buy one to share, we can fill it up whenever we like" scenario!)

Also, I bought one last year, and can still use it this year until my pass runs out, but for 75p a go?
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

Cookie Monster
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:23 am

Should I renew my MAP or subscribe to a Merlin Membership?

Nadesico
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:22 am

Join this group and voice your concerns about the drinks capsule guys if there's plenty of different forums/groups giving poor feedback about the changes there half a chance of a rethink,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/808479162559921/

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:41 pm

Nadesico wrote:
Join this group and voice your concerns about the drinks capsule guys if there's plenty of different forums/groups giving poor feedback about the changes there half a chance of a rethink,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/808479162559921/

I don't think a re-think is likely for this year, as they probably will have started selling them at half term events, but I'm fully supportive of the cause, good luck!

jon18uk
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:53 pm

Cookie Monster wrote:
Should I renew my MAP or subscribe to a Merlin Membership?

Don't bother with a membership. Get annual pass if you can afford it. Renewal discount makes annual pass cheaper but membership is same price every year.

DeanGaryCox
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:00 pm

Has anyone got their bloomin perk package in the post yet!?

It says for half term, but which one, I wouldn't be surprised if they meant and intend to send it out beginning of April for the easter half term, as it's only alton towers that's open with rides this half term!
Image 2014

DSA
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:48 pm

The Facebook annual pass sale announcement of 27th Dec clearly states that the packs will be sent in the post and received before February half term.

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:02 am

I think merlin will have to look at rethinking the quencher situation... Within a day they have had more people voice their unhappiness of the situation than the amount of people that they have surveyed. They want to keep their customers happy for them to keep on buying and renewing the MAPs.

DSA
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:34 am

Another significant difference is that they have reversed the 12 month capsule validity.  This new capsule is valid until 31 December 2014, irrespective of when you purchase it.  They don't appear to have factored this into their presented calculation, nor the fact the capsules are smaller!

Is anyone on park this weekend? Could they possibly find out the size of the new capsules, and also what the deal is for day purchasers, if any?

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:02 am

DSA wrote:
Is anyone on park this weekend? Could they possibly find out the size of the new capsules, and also what the deal is for day purchasers, if any?

I was on park yesterday. The new cups don't arrive until March, according to the Box Office.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:04 am

Lee wrote:
DSA wrote:

I was on park yesterday. The new cups don't arrive until March, according to the Box Office.

Well, there's another reason the cups are a rip-off this year. You can't buy them until March and they expire in December. You used to get a year, now you get 9 months.

I really hope they review their cups.