UK theme parks from another point of view!

nickhutson
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Merlin's £200 million acquisition fund

Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:06 pm

I wish they'd buy the Trocadero in Piccadilly Circus.  It's in desperate need of... something.  Could be such an amazing place.
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

MattsDesigns
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:45 pm

A lot of interesting suggestions..

Longleat is near me so that would be nice. That has big house and a fair bit of land (not to mention the west country only has a small kids park) - don't that have a lot of stuff abroad though? Could be anything.
Have a look at my space themed dark ride concept:
http://mattsdesigns.webs.com/space.html
All of my Themepark ideas, here & on the website are free to use by anyone.

Rob
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:15 pm

I wish they would setup a theme park in Scotland. The nearest we have to a theme park is M&Ds.

stu1980
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Merlin's next park?

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:39 pm

Stelios7 wrote:
[email protected]$ wrote:
DRAYTON MANOR! They need some BIG MERLIN MAGIC!

Drayton are basically trying to rival AT with their new hotel and planned waterpark. And many future top scale attractions planned just next door to Alton. Would Merlin really want more theme parks closer together?

[email protected]$ wrote:
MERLIN MAGIC!

Looks like you haven't been reading the forums for the past 5 years then...

The water park plans was blocked as too big however they have put in planning apps to build aload of new rides and make the park alot bigger http://www.lichfielddc.gov.uk/downloads/Plan20_-_Drayton_Manor_Park.pdf
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!

jackgcse
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:39 pm

Blackpool pleasure beach! LOL

Rollermad
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:45 pm

BigAl wrote:
CoasterCrazyChris wrote:
BigAl wrote:
Such a park would require millions and millions to fix it up to even a remotely adequate standard which I don't think Merlin would want to bother doing as it wouldn't look good in their portfolio for future investors.

I'm afraid that Alton Towers is also at such a point that it would require millions to fix up.

So does that mean it would be a good idea for Merlin to then go ahead and get even more parks that are in the same state?

The only type of park I could really see Merlin taking over would be a smaller park that's well-presented and has a nice line-up of rides that are well-themed too.

Some parks that may not be a bad purchase if Merlin were desperate to expand their attraction line-up might be:

1. Fårup Sommerland
2. Plopsaland
3. Bobbejaanland
4. Belantis
5. Drievliet Family Park
6. Toverland
7. Freizeitpark Plohn
8. TusenFryd
9. Rainbow MagicLand

Apart from minor theming changes and the odd new ride, these might not be too bad if Merlin were desperate for a new park. I haven't included any British parks purely for the fact that there just wouldn't be enough competition in the UK if Merlin owned the lot.

I'd still rather they didn't purchase a new park though.

:)

I'd like to add to this list with;
Duinrell. Duinrell is a nice park with high theming and a huge camp site + hotel etc. They have a lovely scenic covered (leaky) log flume and a eurofighter. Also they have a spinner that's huge. It's in a forest but tree removal seems easy. Almost forgot it has a tobboggan run.
Isle of wight parks.
Robin hill and black gang chine. Black gang chine is actually compact on a cliff so it's a nono!
Robin hill is a pretty, huge park with loads of space to build. It has a toboggan and more rides. A simulator is also there that has huge capacity problems! 20 people every 5 minutes.
Also just wondering, pleasurewood hills anyone?

ImURNemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:12 pm

What about Camlot? It could rival BPP and be a decent step to regenerating the park.

scott.smith
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:02 am

Merlin are finished with U.K theme parks and are in great need of indoor waterparks, the few in britain are nothing special in fact all pretty poor compared to the rest of the world, if merlin built a waterpark from scratch on a seaside location then its a garantede profit in the long term and it would really help if they boast the tallest slide in Britain that is outside that then enters the building a top speed and passes through a restraunt in a glass tube then exits into a pool. Done. Done. Done. :-D

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:57 pm

I'm not going to lie, but we need some parks like Six Flags. Thorpe Park will be the 1st MM of Europe, i can see that happening.
Last edited by RollercoasterGEEK100 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Credit to NemesisRider

stu1980
TT Member
TT Member

Merlin Cut Backs

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:22 pm

This year we have seen many cut-backs in various shapes and forms, but just what are Merlin playing at?

It all started when Thorpe Park Fright Nights was announced to be closing at 9pm this year instead of 10pm. More recently Chessington have followed suite and announced that Halloween will be closing at just 7pm.

Reduced opening times for specific areas of parks were also announced, particularly at Legoland, Chessington & Alton Towers.

However Alton Towers have revoked this almost completely due to negative feedback. The question is, if this change was revoked so easily - do Merlin really need to be saving all this money?

If Merlin are able to pull out of a decision this quickly, then are they really in as much trouble as they seem to be - or are they just saving money because they can?

Only time will tell what Merlin are playing at.

Thoughts
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!

Rollermad
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Merlin Cut Backs

Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:27 pm

Chessington closing the Halloween event early would be good as one dark weekend in October I was at the event and nobody was about (well Dragons fury had 10 min and vampire was walk on)
I think most parents don't want there kids at theme parks till 8pm ;)

scott.smith
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:19 pm

Indoor Waterpark
Sandcastle Blackpool or waterworld Staffordshire will do fine ;)

altontowers101
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:37 am

I hope Merlin buy PBB but keep the rides like grand national, steeplechase, irn bru revolution, big dipper,valhalla, alpine run, but personally i say get rid of pepsi max big one because there was so much more potential! 

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:31 am

Ok, if they brought PBB. Pepsi Max removed as said, replaces with a good B&M hyper. Infusion, Possible made into B&M Invert, and make the park more tidy, and just add more B&M's to the UK. We need them!

Credit to NemesisRider

TB2
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:41 am

RollercoasterGEEK100 wrote:
and just add more B&M's to the UK. We need them!

We've got more B&M's then any country in Europe, we really don't need that many more..
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

Nemesis Of Oblivion
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:40 pm

I think The Big One is too iconic for Blackpool to get rid of. Indeed, give it a touch of paint and a massive refurb of the station. Infusion should be replaced by a B&M Invert, remove Impossible and the haunted swing and put in a Sub-Terra sort of experience (obviously smaller). I think it's time to remove Steeple Chase and put in a Itamin or Mack launcher, with that remove the Go Karts so it can go low to the ground and interact with the Big Dipper. The Big Dipper really needs to be retracked by GCI and sort out the loading platform with at least some air-gates. Add theme music to Nickelodeon Land from the cartoons, add theming to Nickelodeon Streak maybe with a pre-show if possible. And this is just a hope but with Blackpool's usual cold and wet climate, build a world class dark ride that could compete with Spidey, Transformers and harry potter (Unless Wallace and Grommit is amazing but we don't know yet).

Anyway this is what I wish happend if Merlin did buy Pleasure Beach and had money.

coastermaster
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:17 pm

well ideas like six flags could be possible in the future because Scotland maybe leaving the UK if they did they could have totally different planning laws letting there be 400 ft tall drop ride or coasters

Nemesis Of Oblivion
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:56 pm

Problem is that if we did ever build a ride taller than PMBO would it ever operate that often with British Climate of it being wet and windy.

EC!
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:18 pm

I don't know maybe i'm being abit biased but i would like Merlin to at least consider Oakwood in wales which is the only biggish theme park in wales, and does need abit of love as they have not had a new ride in six years the last being Speed. also with oakwood its in the middle of nowhere and they have massive amounts of land to expand. on a personal level if they ever did id love to see Oakwood be considered :)

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:34 pm

Ok, as someone said we got the most B&M's in our country, out of europe, so what! We need more. America has most of them, And we could get B&M hypers at 200ft only. Anyways, oakwood has a lot of potential.

Credit to NemesisRider