UK theme parks from another point of view!

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Merlin to give the UK a new theme park?

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:03 pm

Adz wrote:
Basically, RollerCoasterGeek, you'd remove everything good and unique about the pleasure beach? ;)

I can't see a new theme park being built by Merlin in the UK. They tend to prefer acquisitions rather than building from scratch anyway.

I wouldn't remove everything, I'd just like to Sprouse it up ;)

Credit to NemesisRider

Bullet Hell
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:33 pm

I don't think even 'sprucing' BPPB up would change anything, it is a tribute to the naffness of days gone by, and while it could be cleaner and better kept, I don't think there's anything you could really do it to other than knock the whole lot down and build something completely different!

I know what to expect when I go to BPPB, it (to be cliche) 'is what it is'. Which is tacky, gaudy, no-frills fun.

jamie.rivettcarnac

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:27 pm

remember theres talk of opening a new theme park in dartford will be 3rd biggist theme park in world

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:58 pm

Merlin won't be opening a new park in the UK any time in the next 10 years, from scratch at the very least. No doubt they've eyed up a few of their smaller competitors over the years, but Merlin really need to refocus their efforts on keeping their existing parks at the top of their game to fend off any possible invasion from Paramount, or even the third/fourth gates at Disneyland Paris which are likely to make an appearance over the next 10-20 years.

RollercoasterGEEK100
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:04 pm

jamie.rivettcarnac wrote:
remember theres talk of opening a new theme park in dartford will be 3rd biggist theme park in world

Well i aint heard nothing of its construction yet....

Credit to NemesisRider

@ltonFreak12
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Merlin's £200 million acquisition fund

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:21 pm

Rob-TT wrote:
I wish they would setup a theme park in Scotland. The nearest we have to a theme park is M&Ds.

Same here m&ds is all we've got  :x

Trisnie
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:32 pm

@ltonFreak12 wrote:
Rob-TT wrote:
I wish they would setup a theme park in Scotland. The nearest we have to a theme park is M&Ds.

Same here m&ds is all we've got  :x

Not sure you can count M&Ds as a theme park! more a glorified fun fair

jackgcse
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:45 pm

The last big contender that Merlin do not own is Blackpool Pleasure Beach...that is the only attraction on a Merlin Scale within the UK that is no owned by them! They would have a monopoly in Blackpool if they did...but it won't happen, they won't sell that gold mine, nor would Merlin wish to pay for it!

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:46 pm

jackgcse wrote:
The last big contender that Merlin do not own is Blackpool Pleasure Beach...that is the only attraction on a Merlin Scale within the UK that is no owned by them! They would have a monopoly in Blackpool if they did...but it won't happen, they won't sell that gold mine, nor would Merlin wish to pay for it!

Amanda Thompson will never sell Pleasure Beach Blackpool, so Merlin don't really have much of an opportunity there.

In terms of attractions in the UK, I think Merlin are coming close to reaching their limit. Besides a 'punt' on either Lightwater Valley / Flamingo Land in order to establish more of a foothold up north, or possibly a bid for Oakwood (though I can't see that, as potential visitor figures are very limited due to it being in a difficult location to get to) there's no way they'll get another theme park in this country. But, honestly, they don't really need one. They already own the four most visited theme parks in this country - since PBB is an amusement park - and are essentially competing with themselves, hence why they're willing to make mediocre improvements such as Zufari and backwards Swarm, investing minimally in improving customer satisfaction.

Where I do expect Merlin to continue to grow is with regards to midway attractions. I expect to see Blackpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh and London boasting the 'full set' of midways (Sealife, Tussauds, Legoland Discovery, Dungeons) within five years, with potentially more ideas coming along too. I think Windsor Castle is also a likely target, though I doubt they'll be able to convince the current owners to sell-up.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:13 am

They will never get their hands on Oakwood as it is owned by Aspro who are one of their biggest competitors, they have theme parks all over europe and they also own all the Blue planet aquariums around the country.

Without knowing it I have been to 3 of their aquariums and two of their theme parks.
If you go down to the woods today

clayj
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:37 am

I'd love to see Merlin to get their hands on either flamingo land or Lightwater valley to give their customers in the true north more value for their MAP. By true north I mean the north of the country not the midlands or outside the M25

ɹǝןıɯs ǝɥʇ

Pennywise
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:39 am

bensaund wrote:
They will never get their hands on Oakwood as it is owned by Aspro who are one of their biggest competitors, they have theme parks all over europe and they also own all the Blue planet aquariums around the country.

Without knowing it I have been to 3 of their aquariums and two of their theme parks.

Do you get the impression that they care about Oakwood whatsoever, though? They've just left the place to rot, until this year.

mattiepearce
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:01 pm

I would love to see them get a waterparks in the uk like Waterworld or Wet ‘N’ Wild
Previously known as Coastermadpearce.

Thriller
TT Member
TT Member

Tue May 28, 2013 1:13 pm

Be great if it was Aspro that Merlin have bought out. At least Oakwood Theme Park would stand a chance of getting decent investment and 1st class rides. Us Welsh are great dreamers.........
Last edited by Thriller on Tue May 28, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vladimir Bobinski
TT Member
TT Member

Merlin Attendance Figures up 16.4%, 2011/2012

Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:44 am

Themed Entertainments Association (TEA) published it's report on global attendance, quite interesting reading.  A mixed year for Merlin Entertainments, a 16.4% increase in visitors across the group from 46M to 54M.  In Europe, the Legoland parks proved to be the main area of growth, up by 5.3% and Billund up by 3.1%.

Both Gardaland and Thorpe Park saw a 10% drop with Alton Towers down by 9.1% and Heide park suffering a 7.1% fall, mainly linked to the weather and Olympic year.

http://www.aecom.com/deployedfiles/Inte ... online.pdf

What are your thoughts, are the changes attraction related, weather related, sign of the times?

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Merlin Attendance Figures up 16.4%, 2011/2012

Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:15 pm

I think the Jubilee and Olympics played it's part, though disappointing news for Thorpe Park, especially considering The Swarm is their biggest investment to date.

adam.smith.58367116
TT Member
TT Member

who thinks that merlin does a better job with the theme parks outside the UK?

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:55 pm

lets take the new (dunno when the hotel opened but i know its new) hotel at Gardaland how much nicer it that looks to any other hotel merlin have, it just look like they put so much more into making it look nice.

as you can see from the picture above this hotel to me look on a another level to any other merlinhotel, but I do think cen have very nice hotel.

but not even the just the hotels the over all thimeing of the park looks a lot better the alot uk merlin parks but before i didn't even know merlin owned any parks outside of the Uk so see how much better they look and how the parks also does entertainment which alton towers is missing, list of show Gardaland does .

so after all that im not hating on altown towers or any other uk theme park own by merlin but when you see what merlin is doing outside the uk and what they should be doing that here like what the main thing alton towers is missing is entertainment come on merlin let have some good entertainment at alton towers. any why what do you guys think?

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Re: who thinks that merlin does a better job with the theme parks outside the UK?

Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:35 pm

It is stunning, no doubt.

But the quality of what each Merlin park delivers rests solely in it's own hands. What gets' developed, how it get's developed and how it looks is all decided at local level by each park/resorts management team. Merlin simply approve or reject budget requests, sign the cheques and collect the profits!

Wedjie
TT Member
TT Member

Merlin Floatation

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:25 am

So it looks like Merlin are getting ready to float on the Stock Exchange, and was wondering whether everyone thought this a good idea? What affect could it have on there attractions?

Personally I think a negative one. With shareholders to satisfy, pressure will almost certainly be put on operating costs. I can see maintenance being squeezed, so possibly more non-functioning animatronics? Effects that don't work? Extended periods of down time?
Will staff be put under pressure too? Could we see even longer queues at the gates?

Large investment - agreed funds could be raised to fund big new coasters, but i think the budget for the related components (e.g. themeing, shops, general upkeep) will also be pressured downwards.

The seperation of ownership and day-to-day running for a company like Merlin, i think could be not too healthy.

I'm happy for someone to disagree, that's why I created this topic ;)

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Merlin Floatation

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:51 pm

I feel it will be all about money money money, Thorpe seem to be at this and it will no longer be about guest experience, it will be all about getting the most out of our guests.

For example
-Photo passes, not MAP discount, digital downloads no longer free and 4 photos compared to 5 last year
-I can see car parking possibly going up, the push for more and more fast tracks
-Chessington seem to be doing an appalling job at getting people on and off the Vampire, they struggle to run on 1 train when the ride was built to run on 3
-One train operation at Thorpe all too often
-Constant up selling, for example at Thorpe today, before entering the dome, they put two carts selling day quenchers, causing a squeeze. Outside Saw and The Swarm, they have obstacles in the way to force guests towards or through the shops

What made me laugh today is the police car outside Saw got the window screen broken last year by a guest, so they taped it up last year, followed by cardboard on it. Now they have out a fence around it and put two barrels on the bonnet to make it look like a feature rather than fix it
If you go down to the woods today