UK theme parks from another point of view!

wamdue
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Merlin General Discussion - New Owners agreed in £4.8bn deal

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:05 pm

Just looking at the long list of stuff Merlin owns, I wonder if some of the "brands" like Sea Life, the Eyes, The Dungones maybe spun off first. Keeping actual theme parks close to the Lego theme parks makes a bit more sense, but the likes of Warwick Castle and Hotham Alpaine Resort, I really struggle to see what value Lego can add to them, or them to Lego.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:09 pm

wamdue wrote:
If Lego wanted a second loaction in the UK, would they not just open one? how is having a mini Lego Land inside Alton Towers better for them? sure its their profit now, but I am forced back to the earlier question, how does Lego benefit from owning non Lego branded tourist attractions? 

Diversification of investment would be one reason. Plus retail is a massive opportunity within any theme park, we already have premium Lego sets for things like Stranger Things, imagine one for Nemesis.

DerpyQuark wrote:
Is Merlin going to be absorbed into the KIRKBI brand, or will it still be called Merlin?

Whilst nothing has been stated about the Merlin brand specifically, it is expected that what is currently Merlin will continue to operate as a separate business unit, essentially like it is now. Given the brand awareness for things like the Merlin Annual Pass, it seems unlikely that the Merlin name will disappear.

Piplup2003
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:15 pm

I gotta say, I'm kind of worried about this. Can't see them having much experience in the thrill aspect of parks, let's not hold out hope for a new Thorpe coaster any time soon.
This is a local signature for local people, there's nothing for you here.

wamdue
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:20 pm

Swarm Chris wrote:
wamdue wrote:
If Lego wanted a second loaction in the UK, would they not just open one? how is having a mini Lego Land inside Alton Towers better for them? sure its their profit now, but I am forced back to the earlier question, how does Lego benefit from owning non Lego branded tourist attractions? 

Diversification of investment would be one reason. Plus retail is a massive opportunity within any theme park, we already have premium Lego sets for things like Stranger Things, imagine one for Nemesis.

I get the idea of "Diversification", but will Lego really ever be saying "well we had a weak year selling Lego Bricks, but thank god we bought a book of global attractions, and that Smilier lego, we only really sell in one loaction, thats saved the business this year. How do you do a Lego Rollercoaster? beyond just an actual lego rollercoaster, cos that will be overly expensive.

Piplup2003
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:25 pm

Also, saying Lego owns Alton just......doesnt sound right.
This is a local signature for local people, there's nothing for you here.

wamdue
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:33 pm

Piplup2003 wrote:
Also, saying Lego owns Alton just......doesnt sound right.

it doesnt, but that is the nature of business these days.
Also that I get. Its 100% understandable Lego want as much of the Lego Land theme parks profit as possible, and I understand how in that deal, they also end up owing a few other theme parks as well, that I do understand.
However all the other stuff however I dont see it. Lego own a ski resort, lego own the lease to a fort built by William the Conqueror, I just dont see it.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:39 pm

We have to remember the KIRKBI group have owned 30% of Merlin Entertainments for a long time, with this takeover they would own only 50% of the company. KIRKBI own a majority stake in LEGO along with other investments. All three partners of this new company wanting to acquire Merlin have stated their belief that long term investment is key, and that they want to keep all aspects of the business as is. Merlin as a property is attractive because of its diversification across the leisure market, both in terms of the attractions they operate (both indoor and outdoor) and their worldwide locations. The new business entity has praised this diversification, so carving out parts of the business would undo this.

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:04 pm

So apparently Alton Towers, Thorpe Park and Madame Tussauds have been brought out by a company called Blackstone for £5.9bn...

Is this right?
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:52 pm

PhNx Survivor wrote:
So apparently Alton Towers, Thorpe Park and Madame Tussauds have been brought out by a company called Blackstone for £5.9bn...

Is this right?

Not quite £5.9bn, but our article covering all the news surrounding this development can be found here.

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:24 pm

I thought people were quite excited before I read this thread.
Firstly, Lego haven't bought merlin. Lego's parent company (which exists almost solely to serve Lego) have bought some more of Merlin. That's it.
I am confident in the future of the company. Lego have a great company ethos, which is certainly something Merlin would benefit from. Also they're interested in long term development, which is something that Merlin have lacked a little because of the need to please investors - this should hopefully be gone now as the company has been privatised.
Blackstone is still heavily involved so can still use their experience running companies like Merlin, SeaWorld and Center Parcs to help improve Merlin. SeaWorld are heavily investing in new rides every year and Merlin can too.
Thanks Jack

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:09 pm

So just avoid any confusion, what exactly could this mean for Alton Towers and Thorpe just out of curiosity?

Do Merlin still own these sites or have they been sold off to Blackstone? Sorry I'm dumb :lol

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:15 pm

PhNx Survivor wrote:
So just avoid any confusion, what exactly could this mean for Alton Towers and Thorpe just out of curiosity?

Do Merlin still own these sites or have they been sold off to Blackstone? Sorry I'm dumb :lol

At the moment Merlin are still the same Merlin they were before this announcement. The proposed ownership change has not yet occurred and Merlin are still listed on the London Stock Exchange. Change of ownership is expected at roughly the end of the year.

The buyers have stated they intend to keep all UK operations open. The buyers have also said they view the purchase as a long term investment.

For Alton Towers, Thorpe Park and the other Resort parks, we could well see a shift in focus to ensuring the long term stability of these attractions. With the new owners only having to answer to themselves, decisions could be made more easily with goals other than maximising short term profit. For example, adding three new flat rides won't increase revenue in the short term, but in the long term it will help keep queues shorter across the park and give guests a better experience so they are more likely to feel good about the park and come back again.

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:10 pm

As reported on TowersTimes social media; Merlin Entertainments have announced the return of their partnership with Coca-Cola Great Britain which rewards guests who deposit their used 500ml plastic drinks bottles into a ‘reverse vending machine’ with a voucher to receive 50% off entry at 30 Merlin attractions.

Following the launch of the initiative in 2018, the machines will once again be available at Alton Towers, THORPE PARK Official, Chessington World of Adventures Resort and Official LEGOLAND Windsor, with Warwick Castle and Blackpool SEA LIFE centre joining the scheme for 2019. The machines will be available at the entrances of the four theme parks until 17th October 2019, and at Warwick Castle and Blackpool SEA LIFE centre until 31st March 2020.

Sandra Hazel, the Head of Force For Good at Merlin Entertainments, said: “We are delighted to extend this initiative after great success in 2019. We care about recycling and know that our customers do too. This partnership is a great way to work together to protect our planet and is just one of the initiatives we are invested in to increase recycling at our attractions.”

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:59 am

Swarm Chris wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote:

At the moment Merlin are still the same Merlin they were before this announcement. The proposed ownership change has not yet occurred and Merlin are still listed on the London Stock Exchange. Change of ownership is expected at roughly the end of the year.

The buyers have stated they intend to keep all UK operations open. The buyers have also said they view the purchase as a long term investment.

For Alton Towers, Thorpe Park and the other Resort parks, we could well see a shift in focus to ensuring the long term stability of these attractions. With the new owners only having to answer to themselves, decisions could be made more easily with goals other than maximising short term profit. For example, adding three new flat rides won't increase revenue in the short term, but in the long term it will help keep queues shorter across the park and give guests a better experience so they are more likely to feel good about the park and come back again.

Ah, well that's good then, thanks for clearing things up :)

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:23 pm

A nice little video produced by Merlin for National Rollercoaster Day.