UK theme parks from another point of view!

stu1980
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Merlin

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:51 pm

Merlin dont seem to care and please this is no point of blame so dont take it as one.

Merlin just seem to be bothered about growing and money and yes there a business but people make the business pay - Good people like us.

Merlin took over everything went down hill - Fireworks scrapped - daily parades at alton gone - cheaping out on rides - Down time more than 2x more than it normally.

Tussauds - had the balance just right.

My overall thoughts.

Merlin have gone too big far to fast and now they are still hell bent on getting bigger leaving the parks etc standing behind everyone else.

I can remember and its funny i had the same convo a few weeks ago - but i can remember when i used to park the car and feel i had left the UK and was in a my own little world - The magic used to start when i parked the car - I used to sit with a little smile on my face when on the monorail and then i used to think wow what a place to be when walking down towers street and on to the rides. TBH now i dont feel it.

Tussauds used to go seek out new and mind blowing rides like around the world in 80 days and toyland tours and others i could name merlin well just dont seem to have that woooofffff about them.

Merlin should for one year invest the up keep of the parks but the answer is bring back tussauds any day.

I would love them to go back to the roots and bring magic back to the parks as would i bet many people here BUT is it going to happen im not sure.

a day out even at £45 like alton is now shoud be made around how you feel walking in the place - if you go in and think what a dive - thats what you will feel when you leave - however if you walk in and feel this place is fab you walk out going that was fab - first impressions count not last but first.

I am not aint merlin and do like some changes like they fought hard for the fireworks to come back to alton a move which i almost wet myself at but they need to stop and look even here and take on board comments.
Last edited by stu1980 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:08 pm

Yeah, I think one of the main issues I take with Merlin is that when visitor numbers drop, they increase entrance fees and cut expenditure on staffing and maintenance. Sometimes the answer is not by saving money, it's simply by making your product better.

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps

Jammydodger
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:47 pm

I really do hope this Paramount park goes ahead, because it'll do wonders for AT and Thorpe.
Heide Park and Gardaland are both ran with the maintenance and budget they need to compete with the parks in their area, so we know for a fact Merlin can afford to be doing this.

In all the years the parks have been open its never been the norm here in the UK to have sparkly clean rides every year, and on that note I don't actually blame Merlin for not bothering. Why should they when noone else does?

nickhutson
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:08 am

I don't see it happening to be honest with you; paramount are dropping their park projects around the world like flies.

I went to King's Dominion in Virginia once... it was one of the worst themed parks I've ever seen in my life.  Merlin are much better.
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:15 am

For the life of me I can't understand why Merlin hadn't looked after the rides and areas which were there before they took over. Even the retheme of the areas have been done to the min effort.

Tom.B

Re: Merlin Fastrack - the solution?

Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:43 pm

I never really understood how the fast track queue works. I'm getting that it's like a bottle neck idea, but do you just have to barge in front of someone in the main queue say 3/4 of the way down, or do you just have to wait for someone kind to let you in front?
plz reply

jackgcse
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:51 pm

I literally think fastrack should work like one group of normal queue, one group of Fastrack, whether the group size is 2 or 6 people, and just a continual change of fastrack and main queue!

Jammydodger
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:14 pm

Up the price to something ludicrous and severely limit amount sold.
Merlin still make the same amount of money, because frankly there will ALWAYS be people willing to pay, and people not willing to pay get fair treatment.

Tough But Fair...and probably never going to happen, but it would make me happy.

SpecyBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:40 pm

As melin would say........PUT THE FASTTRACK PRICES'S UP;)
Pleaseeee Populate my forum for Media Studies

http://thrillmakersofficialfans.net84.net

jackgcse
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:52 pm

Merlin should just declare on everyone's ticket that the ticket itself only allows access to the grounds of the park, then if you are lucky you will get on some rides, otherwise you will have to buy fastrack! LOL ;) hahha

GrapeWizard
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:57 pm

I despise fasttrack, if you have the money to buy it then i suppose go for it. They make the long queues longer.

If Alton were to implement a disney-style fastrack then I would be 100% behind it they're brilliant.

dominoes
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:47 pm

^ You see, I hate those Disney fastracks! I remember going, and the queue for the BTM fastrack was about 30 min long. However, I do hate the Alton fastracks. I don't mind Thorpe Park's, cause the queues move much faster. The Alton ones are soooo slow, since they only have one person serving.

TB2
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:50 am

dominoes wrote:
^ You see, I hate those Disney fastracks! I remember going, and the queue for the BTM fastrack was about 30 min long. However, I do hate the Alton fastracks. I don't mind Thorpe Park's, cause the queues move much faster. The Alton ones are soooo slow, since they only have one person serving.

You must live in opposite world to me.  :?
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

----reece----
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:31 pm

I agree with TB2 ..

Unplugged
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton towers Music at other Merlin attractions

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:41 pm

The Flume music in Depth Charge form is also on the Helicopters at LegoLand, although the music was first used on Depth Charge I believe?
Rita sound effects are also used in Legoland Discovery Centre Manchester.

Riders of the Flume, to keep the queue moving the bathtubs need to be full. Up to five riders can share a bathtub. Mmm, cosy! Well it's one way of saving water.

jmgpannal
TT Member
TT Member

Alton towers Music at other Merlin attractions

Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:32 am

Legoland Windsor have been using the Duel music a lot during their Brick or Treat Halloween event. Especially noticeable in Pirates Landing, actually fits pretty well.

Jon

Superman
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:26 am

Get rid of it, you pay an entrance fee. Everyone should then be treated equally, you then need less staff. The best system they had years ago was the VQM system. Does anybody remember that? (The year air opened)

nickhutson
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton towers Music at other Merlin attractions

Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:59 pm

David wrote the Flume theme specifically for the re-theme (when they added the ducks).
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Merlin Parks Quick Questions

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:46 am

Trisnie wrote:
I'm starting to plan a double park trip for the start of the season to Chessington and Thorpe Park, just wondering if anyone has any ideas when they are going to open next year?

Thorpe park reopens on the 14th March.
Chessington reopens on the 20th March.
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Merlin Parks Quick Questions

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:18 pm

I'm really looking forward to Zufari
If you go down to the woods today