UK theme parks from another point of view!

Skumfidus

Drop Tower

Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:02 pm

NOTE - This post is nothing to do with the recently blocked 'rumor' post, is merely an idea of mine which i think would be great.

How about a (small) drop tower inside Black Hole's tent. Simple, cheap.But how about this.when the car is ready to be dispatched a short video is played to all passengers on an individual screen, the screen states that

'oblivion has begun to act erratically and people are beginning to feel more affected by the vertical drop. In late 2006, Dr. Nolon, a proffeser of physics at a local university created a machine to record the effects of dropping on riders. (at this point the ride begins to ascend to the top of the tower, the screens follow the riders) but after months of testing subjects and recording their responses, the proffeser found nothing strange, no results matched the random effects of oblivion. But then the Dr. realised, the actual drop of oblivion is a shock, the riders know it is going to happen but not exactly when'

At this point the ride stops at the top of the tower

'So, the proffeser modified his creation -'

The cars on the ride now tilt about 40 degrees, so you are facing slightly downwards. on a sign connected to the wall is a number, a seperatenumber for every rider. The screen continues -

'In front of you is a number, this is your allocated drop number, when your number is called your car will be released into the darkness below.initiate'

The screen then shows numbers spinning around which slow and finally rest on a number. As soon as the number is displayed it is called out loudly and the car drops on its own, leaving the other riders primed for the next number.what dya think?

m4++
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:21 pm

Why would they get a drop tower? They already got Oblivion

John
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:26 pm

Interesting idea, but I don't think it's right for alton towers for several reasons.

1. Personally, I don't like the idea of reusing the black hole tent. If BH is replaced by a new dark ride it should get a new building.
2. As m4++ said, why put a drop tower right next to oblivion, it would practically be the same ride? A park having 2 similar rides is ok, but its rather silly to put them next to each other.
3. The black hole tent isn't tall enough for a decent drop tower. The height restrictions pretty much rule out the posibility of a drop tower at AT.

I'm not saying its a bad idea, I just think a park with less strict height restrictions could pull it off better. Just replace the oblivion storyline with investigating fears of falling from heights or something similar.

Skumfidus

Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:29 pm

"duckman" wrote:
Interesting idea, but I don't think it's right for alton towers for several reasons.

1. Personally, I don't like the idea of reusing the black hole tent. If BH is replaced by a new dark ride it should get a new building.
2. As m4++ said, why put a drop tower right next to oblivion, it would practically be the same ride? A park having 2 similar rides is ok, but its rather silly to put them next to each other.
3. The black hole tent isn't tall enough for a decent drop tower. The height restrictions pretty much rule out the posibility of a drop tower at AT.

I'm not saying its a bad idea, I just think a park with less strict height restrictions could pull it off better. Just replace the oblivion storyline with investigating fears of falling from heights or something similar.

That would be cool. It would be brill if that at random intervals in the day, as a ride is about to be dispatched someone would come tearing thorugh the station screaming to stop the ride "the figures don't add up, stop the ride, people are going missing" etc etc. But by then the operative has pressed the button and they go up the lift hill hearing "STOP IT NOW!" lol. i would love it and it would petrify me everytime i'm sure, but i bet health and safety wouldn't allow it, boy who cried wolf and all that!

or some other ride that featured the 'election' thing, coz i feel that would put the craps up most people

Bailey
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:52 pm

They wont get a drop tower at all, for one it would be too small as the tree line rule and 2 it wouldnt thrill at all! :wink:

themeparkfreak
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:10 pm

I love the election idea, that would be so scary!

Skumfidus

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:45 am

But there was a drop ride in London if i remember correctly, was it called the Pepsi Drop or something. That wasn't that tall but the ride was quite popular and thrilling! But i suppose your right, a drop tower just wouldn't fit in Alton anyway, there isn't much themeing you could give it either.oh well, was just an idea :)

iriderides101
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:08 pm

how about this instead of a drop tower how about they modify oblivions trains so that they are lay down trains so you have the drop towers feeling which means alton do not have to spend much money and no planning permision needed simple it will also give oblivion a fresh image for a ride which has pretty much lost alot of apeal

daboywunda
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:44 am

it's only lost appeal because of the state they have let it get in.

With a bit of TLC it'll be scaring the crap outa people again.

I like the idea of that drop tower. but would be better suited to Thorpe Park around the same theme as X: No Way Out. or maybe an addition TO that same place! Both rides inter-twined each other. with the Q lines of both rides running side by side. Imagine the look on the faces of the idiot public that think they can Q jump and find that they have been Qing for the wrong ride.

Any-whoo, back on topic.

Adz
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:10 pm

I like the idea of that drop tower. but would be better suited to Thorpe Park around the same theme as X: No Way Out. or maybe an addition TO that same place! Both rides inter-twined each other. with the Q lines of both rides running side by side. Imagine the look on the faces of the idiot public that think they can Q jump and find that they have been Qing for the wrong ride.

Thorpe already has one. Detonator.

james0507
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:15 pm

very good and a very clever idea, it would be great!

liam14
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:20 pm

"m4++" wrote:
Why would they get a drop tower? They already got Oblivion

Completely different experience, same principal but everyone says that they have Oblivion so no need for one but its quite different, also I like the idea of the srop toer in the tent, also how about a few seconds before you go the top pulls away and reveals a bit more track ! :W
Nemesis: 4
Air : 4
Oblivion :3
Corkscrew: 8
Rita :4
Runaway mine train :15

Trips to A.T :14

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:28 pm

I don't think its a good idea IMO. There is so much room in the Black Hole tent, so much potential space. Installing one small flat, would take up such little space and the rest of the space would more than likely go to waste.

Mugz x

:D

rctom
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:55 pm

it would be better if u faced inwards and when your numbers are called you hear a voice saying "you are the weakest link goodbye". then you drop. :P it could be sponsered by the weakest link. :P

Fred!
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:41 pm

I like the idea of a drop towers
And yeh I agree it's way different to oblivion, but I also like the idea of it being in the dark
It'd be good if it was based around a roulette game, where all passengers face outwards and there is a red light in front of them (in the dark) and the light spins around everyone until it gets slower and slower, then it stops suddenly on a person and they drop on their own then the light moves around the carriage dropping each passenger, the suspense would make it SO scary.
And original, it'd be a different experience to going on a normal drop tower.
F
Fred!

Nemesista
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:21 pm

Well I LOVE the idea, brokenhome ;) and its a pity its not happening. :)

I could imagine a really goddam freaky face shouting out the numbers scaring the crap out of everyone. like a REALLY freaky face.

;) ;)

Nutty dreadz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:54 pm

It'd be good if it was based around a roulette game, where all passengers face outwards and there is a red light in front of them (in the dark) and the light spins around everyone until it gets slower and slower, then it stops suddenly on a person and they drop on their own then the light moves around the carriage dropping each passenger, the suspense would make it SO scary.

That's such a wicked idea! I'd love to see that - That would fit perfect in Las Vegas. Maybe they could update The Stratosphere Tower Big Shot!

Back on the idea of having one at Alton Towers - I really cant see this working. They'd never get the permission for one - The only place I can see that it would fit, would be in X Sector, but then Oblivion is already there, so I doubt it would work.

As much as I love drop towers, I think they are a bit out-dated now. The only way to get a really exciting one, is if it's something new and different. Apocolypse did well when it opened.

. Or if it was really really high. How about one the size of Kingda Ka!

Nemesista
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:36 pm

If it was based on a roulette game, wouldn't it fit in with Spinball Whizzer theming?

Anonymous

Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:43 pm

thats a wicked idea cause detonator at TP is a great ride it just the waiting you know your going to drop but when, then woosh you go down and leave your stomach up there. It would be incredible if AT could do a dark roulette as nemesista said and also said it would go well in the spinball whizzer great idea. It would be so heart pounding not knowing when the floor is.

SOUNDS GREAT!

iriderides101
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:22 pm

one word AWESOME idea