UK theme parks from another point of view!

John
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Blade - what should replace it?

Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:02 pm

A lot of people on here seem to think that blade should go (or indeed will go soon), but due to alton towers' extremely low number of flats something has to replace it, so that’s what this topic’s for: what would be a good ride to replace blade (considering the restricitions of the site)?

Heres my idea:

Put in a mini sky-swat with a difference - the arms aren’t fixed and the seats slide towards the centre as the ride reaches the top (this keeps the height of the ride within AT's restrictions). Then when the arm goes past horizontal it slides out away from the centre, back to its original position. This would (might?) give a great ride experience as riders accelerate towards the ground at an alarming speed.

The experience would be further boosted by the rides position in the thunderlooper trench (which may have to be made slightly deeper in the centre) as people at the bottom of the ride will be very closed in.

So – has anyone got any other ideas (preferably more realistic than mine) about what this space should be used for if AT decide to call time on blade?

Williscroft

Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:19 pm

I think Blades fine. Maybe a bit of TLC is needed and get it back to its full swing that it was at years ago. Its a great ride for the family in FV as the rest ride Nemesis and air, if you replace it with a sky swot that would only leave the climbing wall for the younger of the family which lets face it, its not the most exciting attraction lol. :)

Like you idea of the sliding seats but i feel it would have to be rotating at such a slow speed to give it time to slide in for the high points and out again when horizontal.

Anonymous

Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:29 pm

(i no that AT cant go this high but.) i think that blade should be replaced with a 200ft twin freefall drop tower it would be good fun and dosent take up much space!
:lol:

Redcoat Jase
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:38 pm

The blade is amazing, there are loadsa things that need burning down before that leaves the park! :firebounce:
...is no longer a member of TowersTimesForum

Anonymous

Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:50 pm

Keep the Blade, a really good kiddy ride that is fit for the family, and earns its place well in FV.

project?
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Blade - what should replace it?

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:32 pm

"duckman" wrote:

Heres my idea:

Put in a mini sky-swat with a difference - the arms aren’t fixed and the seats slide towards the centre as the ride reaches the top (this keeps the height of the ride within AT's restrictions). Then when the arm goes past horizontal it slides out away from the centre, back to its original position. This would (might?) give a great ride experience as riders accelerate towards the ground at an alarming speed.

The experience would be further boosted by the rides position in the thunderlooper trench (which may have to be made slightly deeper in the centre) as people at the bottom of the ride will be very closed in.

So – has anyone got any other ideas (preferably more realistic than mine) about what this space should be used for if AT decide to call time on blade?

Heres my idea: for a sky swat what about have a second arm with in the first one. That also spins the other way. so kined of a dulling sky swat.

John
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:16 pm

I don't have anything against blade as a ride, I just don't think its the right thing for forbidden valley. It should (imo) be kept especially for best thril rides of the park, x sector has more of a futuristic theme than a thrill theme so blade might be better over there, or there might be space in ugland, if they can fit it to the theme. I don't see why forbidden valley should have to be made suitable for younger visitors - it should scare them away!

Back to the topic, an alternative idea I had was a spider themed version of vortex, with the seating themed as being the spiders web that had capured the riders as prey for the spider (the supports being the spiders legs).

Anonymous

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:23 pm

No hes right Blade must go! Only because its a pain to work on lol

Redcoat Jase
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:59 pm

Why don't we just close the whole park down? Then you don't have to go to work at all :roll:
...is no longer a member of TowersTimesForum

Locker
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:24 pm

I think it would be great if standard rides like swinging ships could be much more intensely themed. Virtually everyone’s been on one, but nothing makes one stand out from the other. They’re almost space filling type attractions. If you take a generic flat ride then yeah, there’s only so much you can do with it. But I think making it unique would be worthwhile.

Blade for example, has quite a large site to its own. It’s in the pit that used to belong to Thunder Looper and with that much space, could they not make it quite a densely themed area? Perhaps lots of trees, rusted axes/blades, some mist lurking between the foliage. It would make quite a nice effect.

But as it is, it’s just another generic ride plonked on a site which was made vacant.

Regards,
Mark

themeparkfreak
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:08 pm

I actually have a soft spot for The Blade and hope it dosent go. If it had to go for some reason, I would want it to be replaced by a world-first flat or something.

Nemesite
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:56 pm

I like Blade.I can remember when I first went on it in Forbidden Valley.An correct me if i'm wrong but didn't it used to go higher than it does now? If it had a bit of TLC and a good re-theme then it would be a whole lot better

If it was restored to its original former glory then it would soon become a firm favorite. As Locker said before a bit of mist from underneath the station pouring out into the pit and some water fountains in the same blood red style of Nemesis, and if possible have an 'arm/tentacle' of Nemesis coming out of the ground and coming close to the boat. Also have speakers in the pit playing the Nemesis music

thats my ideas
Working on Air, hoping to get passed on ride host soon....wish me luck hehe

[u] :lol:
Mines a jack and coke thanks...cheers!

Kaz
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:38 pm

Put it this way - If it aint broke, don't fix it!

nancarrow
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:07 pm

They could remove both Blade and Ripsaw. This would leave a large area for 2 or 3 rides or one large ride like a rollercoaster.