UK theme parks from another point of view!

Anonymous

The end of X-Sector

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:58 pm

Before you abuse me for bringing this topic up I suggest you have a serious think as I did.

1 - black hole is gone, more than likely including the tent
2 - submission and enterprise are movable rides
3 - allegedly enterprise is broken (dont hold me to that, rumour only)
4 - submission isnt a very popular ride
5 - oblivion doesnt bring in the crowds anymore
6 - oblivion has obviously caused legal problems

Seriously I cant see much making AT keep the x-sector, the theming isnt very good the main area attraction is causing them problems and whats left there isnt much of an attraction. If they wanted to keep oblivion (hopes) why not just isolate it on its own, make it much more independant and sinister?!
Personally I think we will lose x-sector soon as its rapily decreasing.

But the area is quite large especially if they move backwards toward the flag tower, however I bet they are pretty anxious building there with the grief they have got over oblivion, I could actually see them closing the whole area and leaving oblivion and thats it. Fence it off so you pass it between adventure land and ug land / cred street, is there much need for the unpopular flat rides?

just a few thoughts.

Shent
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:31 am

Do you know how much of a huge job moving oblivion would be? (If thats what your talking about, if not then ignore this post)

Matt 8)
......The one and only... :sus:

Anonymous

Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:25 am

Ben i totally agree with you,
X-sector is in need of a re-theme,
Black Hole is gone, and Submission is poor! Only thing left is oblivion, and in the last 6 times i have visited i have had less then 5 minute wait for oblivion! I think 3 new rides and oblivion will be recognised again, and also didnt they want more people going to the back of the park! Ugland? x-sector and cred street! Well ugland been done up! then it was Cred street! Maybe x-sector will get some much needed attention!

CGM
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:23 am

Here's something that Oblivion could be rethemed to
http://i1.tinypic.com/ofak9c.jpg
I just love Jules Verne style theming
I personally don't think that X-Sector will be going anytime soon but it will never look as good as it once did

AstroDan

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:44 am

I don't think it is true to say Oblivion doesn't bring in the crowds anymore.

Yes, the days of a 2 1/2 hour wait for the beast are over but isn't Oblivion's capacity massive? Isn't it the highest in the park? Oblivion could probably take double the number of people that Rita has and still have much less queue's. During my 5 visits last season I think the longest I waited for Oblivion was 50 minutes in the height of the school season in July. Generally however my waits were limited to approx. 20 minutes with 0 minutes on Adrenaline Week. The ride has certainly not had it - not that anyone is suggesting this.

With regards to X Sector in general, the idea of the theme there is excellent. Sadly, since the days of Energizer it has been a downhill path all the way. It was never a quality job. A ride of Oblivions status deserves better quite frankly. I think Alton Towers realise that the area is gradually losing its character - i believe that when we have a Black Hole replacement we will see a spruce up or re-theme of the section. As for my ideas? Well, a jungle theme would be excellent in my eyes! However, it is VITAL that the park keep Oblivion's fear-factor as it is amazing at creating this, world-beating in my eyes. Submission & Enterprise are simply no longer good enough for a park like Alton Towers - even if I have no problem with Enterprise itself.

Hopefully, within the next 3 closed seasons we shall see aon overhaul of one of the most important areas of the park.

Williscroft

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:58 pm

Oblivion is still a huge crowd puller. Out of the 13 times i went last year most of the time Oblivion had quite a large Q. I love the current theme at the moment but it needs more work done to it. If this theme was change i feel that Oblivion would loose part of its scare factor.

As for Enterprise and Submission, yes they have had their days but dont alot of rides come to that after many years. Its nothing a closed season can't change, i think X-Sector will have some work done to it fairly soon. Oblivion will stay and the blackhole area will be used for either a quiet family ride or a thrill ride but built indoors.

This is defornatly not the end of X-Sector, infact you could look at it as a new begining for the area, ok so they cant install large noisey attractions there but this could mean a new type of attractionn being installed. Personaly i think an indoor attraction would be the perfect oportunity for the park to improve the current theme, and that way we keep X-Sector alive, have a new attraction and improve its appearence. They could construct a large futuristic looking building that has see through pipes running along it with a stobe light that runs along it (a bit like them rope lights) and then have steam being pumped out of the building and inside could be 2 new thrilling flats, each haveing their own enterence into this building.

Infact now you have goten me thinking, i think X-Sector could be quite an interesting place in a few years :) :D

smeg_head
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:13 pm

You can't say Oblivion isn't a crowd puller. The last few times I've been to the towers I've found Nemmy to be walk on with Oblivion having 5-10min queues. Admittedly I go off-peak but if that ratio remains intact on peakdays than shouldn't this post also be about the end of forbidden valley. Of course we know that Forbidden Valley will be around for a long time to come but it probably only seems busier because it has two signature attractions compared to XSectors one. Last year we didn't have Black Hole - that is probably what makes X Sector seem quiter - people just aren't spending as long in there because there is one less attraction.

I agree it is a problemtic area thanks to the Ropers but that, I'm sure, will only inspire Alton to be more creative.

Anonymous

Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:15 pm

I agree with Ben, Oblivion isnt much of a crowd puller unless your looking at a very busy day. I dont think there has been more than an hour's queue for it since I've been going Alton and I started going in 2001! Its a good ride, I am not saying that, I enjoy riding it and its good for the park, but its not the crowd puller it once was.

As for X-Sector it is probably going to get a change in 2007 as dstone keeps telling me, I reckon Enterprise and Submission will be gone, a big Oblivion clean up will happen and a decent flat ride will take the place of Black Hole and could possibly go over the area where Enterprise currently stands :P

$t£v£
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:46 pm

I doubt such an expensive ride thats only been there 8 years will go anywhere any time soon
$t£v£, formerly Mr Writer.

smeg_head
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:35 pm

"entwistlesjd" wrote:
I doubt such an expensive ride thats only been there 8 years will go anywhere any time soon

If you were to reduce this to purely numbers and cost etc I'm guessing that once a ride has made it's cost back it is expendible. Has Oblivion recouped its construction fee? Probably.

james0507
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:47 pm

X-sector is one of my favourite areas of the park i dont think it should be reathemed

Wortho
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:50 pm

If anyone would like to know, Alton Towers are keeping the Black Hole tent, they're just not sure what to put i it yet, either that or they're keeping ot a big secret.

AstroDan

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:35 am

Oblivion will not be going anywhere. It is an excellent ride, famous throuought the UK and along with Nemesis, one of Alton Towers' most famous brands.

Oblivion is the most amazing thrill experience and as I mentioned above, its massive capacity is probably the reason why the queue's aren't too bad.

When you talk to people (non-enthusiasts) about Alton Towers, Oblivion is always one of the rides they bring up.

Oblivion is part of Alton Towers now as much as Nemesis in my mind and it will be here for many years to come - it's the scariest rollercoaster in Europe; in my view - from what I have ridden.

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:47 am

"Wortho" wrote:
If anyone would like to know, Alton Towers are keeping the Black Hole tent, they're just not sure what to put i it yet, either that or they're keeping ot a big secret.

If its anything like they did with Oblivion, then it will be a big secret! :)

I dont see the end of Oblivion any time soon, but I dont see the area known as "X-Sector" lasting another 8 years. This area is indeed run-down and not in the best of states. If they even re-furbished this area it would look better, but if it doesn't get one of these soon then im sure we will get a re-theme.

james0507
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:54 am

i dont think X-sector needs a re-theme it just needs more theming and a little bit of paint here and there then it would be the best area of the park :D

scottjenkins
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:57 am

LOL

I really cant believe ppl are talking about this, X Sector Closing, Are you all MAD!?!

Moving Oblivion? FFS the hole and scenery cost more then the ride itself!

Oblivion is without a doubt the scariest ride in the UK, im not affected by any ride at all, however the holding brake still gets me every time!

Yes the queues are short but as someone said up ^^^ it has a massive push through rate. I wanna know why they just took the black hole away mid season
they must have something up their sleeve suremy, otherwise wouldnt they have left it in their to complete one last season. I thought it was a brill ride and pulled the crowds! Me thinks some sort of covered coaster is on the way!

Rory
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:09 pm

I dont think the issue is really moving oblivion, you are getting slightly mixed up as thats basically impossible.

Oblivion wont go for a good few years due to it being a main ride at the towers and world-renound, even if not so much this year. There is not much wrong with oblvion and losing it wouldnt be shooting the management in the feet as its huge throughput satisfies big crowds everyday and is a lot of people I know's best 'let go back on ride'.

Ive been going on it for years now and i still get that adrenaline rush on the way up and love the plunge. It wont go for years.

Anonymous

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:10 pm

"scottjenkins" wrote:
I wanna know why they just took the black hole away mid season
they must have something up their sleeve suremy, otherwise wouldnt they have left it in their to complete one last season. I thought it was a brill ride and pulled the crowds! Me thinks some sort of covered coaster is on the way!

BH closed before the start of last season, infact the last winter weekender last year on March 5th. It remained SBNO for the whole of last season and from what Dan on ATA says, it will be removed during the first few weeks of this Open season. The tent will also, from what is understtod, to be going also this season. The reason which is official to why it closed was due to maintance for just one more season (ie, was due to be closed this season but £80,000 being spent on a new escape staircase for its last season at Alton) was the official line.... However, structual maintance of the site during last closed season showed there were cracks forming on the base of BH in the concreate so they decided to close it last season, that is of course a rumor.

AstroDan

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:13 pm

Capacities:

Nemesis: 1,356ph
Air: 1,500ph
Oblivion 1,900ph!

Quite clearly, not wishing to push this too much, Oblivion has less queue's because it has a massive capacity, not because it in unpopular.

Working on the above, Oblivion has a near 50% higher capacity than Nemesis!

Anonymous

Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:58 pm

I didnt say that oblivion would be removed! Unless of course they were forced by the courts but thats a whole other long, drawn-out, silly story.

Why would they keep the blackhole tent? It seems pointless to me, it was designed around the ride and then they'd have to design another ride around it - and unless the tent is made of gold theres no point or practicality.

I just cant see why they would risk buliding in that area again, with all the problems they have encountered. If they do I for one certainly dont see it staying as X-Sector for much longer.

Personally I think they will close the whole area except for the oblivion hole and entrance which could be re-directed neared the main park paths. Put some big corogated metal sheets with the oblivion logo around it and have those orange flashing lights ontop and the yellow/black warning tape. Make the ride very isolated and even more sinister. Just thinking aloud.