UK theme parks from another point of view!

AstroDan

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:54 pm

an Insanity? There is one of those at Camelot, it really isn't Alton's style at all. The only thing i'd like in the valley is a Coaster.

S3 V2.1
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:21 pm

Here's an idea I was playing around with, why not have the station to this new coaster in the valley? It could mean that only one lift hill would be required, and have the queuing area start in Ugly-land.
[size=150]Sitting in a bunker, here behind my wall.

Waiting for the worms to call.

themeparkfreak
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:21 am

think a stand up coaster would be good just imagine zooming around the valley stood up it would be amazing would'nt it. Either that or the floorless idea

ive got the same idea as you, a stand-up would be awesome!

Anonymous

Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:59 pm

the fact that a woodie would make too much noise will put ATs off the idea seeing as they along with all other theame parks have to cut their noise levels down, only a steel coaster can be built within the new laws, its a shame cos woodies are great but come on all the techno is in steal coasters, you can't really get the likes of nemmie, oblivion and air on a woodie can u know.

themeparkfreak
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:04 pm

or maybe a dark ride, a sequel to Hex, I know I always aay this but it would be so awesome if they actually decided to do it.

Anonymous

Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:31 pm

A woody could quite easily be built with the new noise abatement. Apparently Intamins are very quiet. and all will be muffled by trees anyway (and it isn't close to the Ropers).

S3 V2.1
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:43 pm

"Lewis" wrote:
A woody could quite easily be built with the new noise abatement. Apparently Intamins are very quiet. and all will be muffled by trees anyway (and it isn't close to the Ropers).

It's not the locals who would be bothered by the noise, don't forget there is wildlife in Churnet Valley, that was the major concern as there are some pretty rare species down there.

I was speaking to somebody a couple of years ago about the woodie, and he is a VERY reliable source (he hates rumours), he said that AT withdrew it because of potential capacity problems experienced with wooden roller coasters, the same reason why Europa Park aren't planning on building one anytime soon, and considering this coaster will most likely be pretty damn big (if it ever gets built) you would need something with a capacity to match.

AstroDan

Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:46 pm

What are the capacities of Wooden Coasters?
Also, Europa Park. where on EARTH would they put a woodie? :-p

S3 V2.1
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:53 pm

"AstroDancer" wrote:

For the first one, don't know, but they are lower than steel ones, I don't understand it either. :-?

Where Atlantica is? They are expanding there, but I was only using Europa Park as a back up.

cLarkey_10
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:25 pm

How about a record hight water ride like plummet? It would go well with the valley
Next Trip To Alton Towers: Tomorrow \":D\"

Anonymous

Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:35 pm

"zippy189" wrote:
the fact that a woodie would make too much noise will put ATs off the idea seeing as they along with all other theame parks have to cut their noise levels down, only a steel coaster can be built within the new laws, its a shame cos woodies are great but come on all the techno is in steal coasters, you can't really get the likes of nemmie, oblivion and air on a woodie can u know.

The Original Woodie Plans contained noise studies based upon Megaphobia at Oakwood and are available to inspect. A detailed acoustic survey had been carried out as a supplement to the submitted plans by an acoustic consultancy company which concluded that the design would have noise levels on a par with normal atmospheric conditions and therefore not a factor and virtually inadmissable in the decision making process.

AstroDan

Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:37 pm

"S3 V2.1""][quote=""AstroDancer" wrote:

For the first one, don't know, but they are lower than steel ones, I don't understand it either. :-?

Where Atlantica is? They are expanding there, but I was only using Europa Park as a back up.[/quote]

Wow, maybe they'd build it across the road?! They don't have much space at that side of the park due to the roads and hotels. But hey, they surprised me with Atlantica to be honest last season so one never knows!

Anonymous

Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:42 pm

"S3 V2.1""][quote=""Lewis" wrote:

I was speaking to somebody a couple of years ago about the woodie, and he is a VERY reliable source (he hates rumours), he said that AT withdrew it because of potential capacity problems experienced with wooden roller coasters, the same reason why Europa Park aren't planning on building one anytime soon, and considering this coaster will most likely be pretty damn big (if it ever gets built) you would need something with a capacity to match.
[/quote]

Tosh i'm afraid. The woodie plans were for a 3 train operation of 30 seats each with a ride time of about 4 minutes. That's 1350 pph which I think is only exceeded by Nemesis at Alton. I think Air has a theoretically higher capacity, but lets face it, loading has always been a problem.

S3 V2.1
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:41 pm

"Faulty Towers""][quote=""S3 V2.1""][quote=""Lewis" wrote:

Tosh i'm afraid. The woodie plans were for a 3 train operation of 30 seats each with a ride time of about 4 minutes. That's 1350 pph which I think is only exceeded by Nemesis at Alton. I think Air has a theoretically higher capacity, but lets face it, loading has always been a problem.[/quote][/quote]

A steel one would have a higher capacity, and for a ride this size you'd need a capacity exceeding that of Nemesis.

I doubt the guy is wrong, not when he has hundreds of theme park contacts around the world, and when he is head of the ECC.

Anonymous

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:07 pm

"S3 V2.1" wrote:

A steel one would have a higher capacity, and for a ride this size you'd need a capacity exceeding that of Nemesis.

I doubt the guy is wrong, not when he has hundreds of theme park contacts around the world, and when he is head of the ECC.

I'm confused.Why would a steel coaster have a higher capacity? :-?

Train capacity-nope (some woodies have trains of 36, B&M max is 32, Intamin is far less)

Train loading- nope (virtually the same)

Speed of lifthill- nope (can be the same)

Speed of ride- nope (usually the same.I think its called gravity)

No. of possible block sections- nope (can be as required)

As for capacity, this is measured by people per hour, so why would it need to be higher than Nemesis just because its a longer ride :-?

I really think you are doing the ECC a dis-service with comments like that :W

S3 V2.1
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:44 pm

"Faulty Towers""][quote=""S3 V2.1" wrote:

Train capacity-nope (some woodies have trains of 36, B&M max is 32, Intamin is far less)

As for capacity, this is measured by people per hour, so why would it need to be higher than Nemesis just because its a longer ride :-?

I really think you are doing the ECC a dis-service with comments like that :W[/quote]

1. Some Intamin hypers (which is basically what this coaster would be) have 36 person trains.

2. More or less (depending on the type of coaster, Intamin cable lifts are really fast), the one on Expedition ge-force pulls you up like a rocket.

3. Don't patronise me please, if I didn't know the basics of gravitational acceleration, I wouldn't be studying Engineereing (I am aware you don't know this), and I did take it into account.

4. It depends, how many lift hills does the ride have, most would assume two, as it was on the original plans. But it depends on where the station is, is it in the valley, is it in UG-Land, or FV? If it's in the valley, I wouldn't put it past it, to see a set of mid-course brakes, but then again there are rides which can run 3 trains, without mid-course brakes, and with only one lift hill.

5. Bigger queues? A hyper coaster attracts alot of people. Possible longer waiting times due to a longer ride? Since a ride like this hasn't been built at AT, no-one can say anything definate.

I don't feel I am doing any sort with the ECC, they aren't the sort of organisation who usually get their facts wrong. I don't know what goes on in the planning stages, I trust them. Half of the stuff I read on the internet is bull. Maybe Justin is wrong, but I wouldn't question him, he knows a hell of alot. :)

Hope you can appreciate my side. :D

S3 V2.1
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:58 pm

"AstroDancer""][quote=""S3 V2.1""][quote=""AstroDancer" wrote:

Where Atlantica is? They are expanding there, but I was only using Europa Park as a back up.[/quote]

Wow, maybe they'd build it across the road?! They don't have much space at that side of the park due to the roads and hotels. But hey, they surprised me with Atlantica to be honest last season so one never knows![/quote]

They're expanding where Atlantica is (like I said), they're putting a Portuguese village in, don't know whether this is still going ahead or not. There's space there, otherwise they wouldn't be thinking of anything, it'd be pointless, just look again, closer. :W

Anonymous

Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:10 am

"S3 V2.1""][quote=""Faulty Towers""][quote=""S3 V2.1" wrote:

I really think you are doing the ECC a dis-service with comments like that :W[/quote]

1. Some Intamin hypers (which is basically what this coaster would be) have 36 person trains.

2. More or less (depending on the type of coaster, Intamin cable lifts are really fast), the one on Expedition ge-force pulls you up like a rocket.

3. Don't patronise me please, if I didn't know the basics of gravitational acceleration, I wouldn't be studying Engineereing (I am aware you don't know this), and I did take it into account.

4. It depends, how many lift hills does the ride have, most would assume two, as it was on the original plans. But it depends on where the station is, is it in the valley, is it in UG-Land, or FV? If it's in the valley, I wouldn't put it past it, to see a set of mid-course brakes, but then again there are rides which can run 3 trains, without mid-course brakes, and with only one lift hill.

5. Bigger queues? A hyper coaster attracts alot of people. Possible longer waiting times due to a longer ride? Since a ride like this hasn't been built at AT, no-one can say anything definate.

I don't feel I am doing any sort with the ECC, they aren't the sort of organisation who usually get their facts wrong. I don't know what goes on in the planning stages, I trust them. Half of the stuff I read on the internet is bull. Maybe Justin is wrong, but I wouldn't question him, he knows a hell of alot. :)

Hope you can appreciate my side. :D[/quote]

You have fundamentally failed to tackle your main point, which was that the application was withdrawn due to concerns over capacity and that a steel hyper/giga/other stupid random name would be better.

1. Correct, and I count (2) Intamin hypers have a capacity of 36. It is irrelevant as it takes the same amount of time to load/unload as a wooden coaster, except allowing for untrained, badly prepared workforce.

2. Great comment about a lifthill!. The original Woodie plans called for 2 lifthills; 28 metres, and 23 metres high. Quite what benefit an Intamin cable lift would do here I don't know. Not much scope for a big lifthill with such a big valley though.

3. Woodie original plans allowed for a 4 minute ride cycle across 3 trains or 1350 people per hour. How would this be bettered with a steel version as you still have to allow for unload, load and safety checks?

4. I do not have any qualifications in engineering and do not need them to see obvious weaknesses in your theory. I do however, have a keen sense of detection for one of Jim Henson's rejects.

AstroDan

Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:23 am

All this talk of the AT Woodie is making me salivate, :-D

I really hope that we get one sooner or later as it could genuinely be one of the best rides in the world. Just imagine. Fabulous!

Dave

Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:46 am

ok i woudl normaly frown upon the "area behind ugland" talk. but when i was tere yerday i noticed a lot of big tire tracks (possibly cattapiller track markings in the mud behind the corkscrewe exit path.

Piccy

this is almost certainly nothiung, but it looked unusual so thought id take a photo for you all.