UK theme parks from another point of view!

Anonymous

Driving School Construction

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:05 pm

Well Charlie is complete so here is the next construction to follow.

http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/history/co ... uction.htm

Babyshambled
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:52 pm

Sorry i've been away a while, do we know if this is pay-per-play?

AstroDan

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:58 pm

I have to say, there's an imaginary tear in my eye as I see them begin to dismantle the Vintage Car Ride. I remember when I was very young, on some of my earliest visits to the Towers, the Vintage Cars were a must-ride. A sad time! But I am of course happy to see the park pump money into Cred Street - it's been needed for some time.

Anonymous

Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:52 pm

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:01 pm

Wow!

Lovign the updates! Obvious someone went to Alton today :lol:

This ride looks like it will be a welcoming addition to the park. Pushing family rides into the 21st century! However the carousel stays somwhere!

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:05 pm

Good to see they have a driving force of . . . . erm . . . one!

Im sure as time moves on more activity will start to happen, much like CATCF, there isn't alot to see until we have some new themeing!

Mugz x

:D

sammie04

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:02 pm

Oh looks like things are starting to get under way. Can't wait to see it when its finished looks like its going to be good :) .

dstone_uk
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Ug Basketball, Ug Land, Alton Towers, Staffs, ST10 4DB :D

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:16 am

just so u know guys, after a brief talk with a ride mechanic over by the vintage car ride on saturday, who approached me when i was looking over at the old vintage car area, this attraction will be for 10 and under only, with adults allowed on to accompany younger children, and the ride entrance will (apparently) be by somewhere around where the arch to enter cred street is, by king 6 trampolines, which will be shortly fenced off along with the bottom end of cred street to allow for deconstruction of current rides and construction of the new ride
:)

(*)corkscrew rules(*)D

Williscroft

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:57 pm

I remember when i first read that it would be for under 10s only i was so dissapointed as i thought it was going to be an attraction for the whole family.I went go-carting not so long ago and had so much fun so i thought it would be like the ones at Butlins but alot better themed :(

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:44 pm

Now the new TN is open, so is the Driving School Construction Archive. A few pics from the 27th and the artist impressions can be found here.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

allyouwant
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:45 pm

Ooooo, I'll have to find some parents who don't want to go on it with their kids! Haha!

easier then a gmtv competition question!

Moley

Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:35 pm

Looks like it'll be a decent addition to the park. Cred St has been in need of money for some time as already said.

Liam
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:12 am

It now appears that the full name for the attraction will be "The Peugeot 207 Driving School" and will be aimed at 4-10 year olds. As part of the sponsorship deal it also looks like the old "Fabulous Toyshop" (seen on the centre right of this image), which has laid dormant for a good number of years, will be converted into a Peugeot Car Showroom! :shock: eeek

I don't know about you, but I don't really like the sound of major sponsoring like this, and you know it's big when it even appears in the ride's name. It wouldn't be as bad if it were situated in a different location, but as it is so close to the back of the towers, I have a strong feeling that it could look out of place agaisnt such a historic setting.
Alton have missed a trick of having a great gothic themed area at the back of the towers, just like with Hex, the ruins could have played a nice, free backdrop to a new attraction.

Dan K
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:21 am

I take it you got your information from the sign on the fence next to the construction site, in which case I wouldn't assume that the final name is what is stated there.

Charlie didn't have ": The Ride" affixed until late on in construction, remember. Plus it's just called "Driving School" on the current batch of park maps.

And I'm somewhat relieved that the showroom will be in the old Toyshop. Better that than a permanent display in the middle of Fountain Square (as seen every summer).

Liam
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:48 am

"Dan" wrote:
And I'm somewhat relieved that the showroom will be in the old Toyshop. Better that than a permanent display in the middle of Fountain Square (as seen every summer).

Yes I suppose that's a good point, and it won't be removing anything to put a showroom in that building, but nonetheless I would say that something like that doesn't really belong in a Theme Park, even if they have come every summer it has never been related to a ride before.
Don't get me wrong this could turn into a fantastic attraction, it's just my gut feeling is that it looks rather worrying at the moment.
Also the name isn't fixed, but I would bet some good money that 'Peugeot' will appear in the name in the end. :)

Locker
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:26 pm

The Towers Nerd Driving School construction archive has been updated with lots of new pictures. Click here to view :)

Regards,
Mark

Wez
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:44 pm

Lets get this right.you pay nearly £30 to look at a CAR SHOWROOM.

I can't believe no one is angry that a theme park feel the need to use cheap sponsorship and tacky commercial outlets to enable them to build attractions.

Towers is on the road to an amusement park. We are losing themeing all around the park. Big shame and total lack of care on Towers part.
The best, most informed enthusiast EVER!!111

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:58 pm

It is preety rubbish when you think about it!

I mean a car show room in a theme park! How desperate are they. Im not saying dont get peugot sponsor the driving school, it adds authenticity to the ride but a car show room is taking the proverbial biscuit to be quite honest!

What is this? I mean you pay £30 to get into the park.£10 on food.£10-15 on merchandise and £10 on other things (Games,Fastpass etc) thats £60 pounds on one day out! Pretty crappy. I mean you come to a theme park to enjoy yourself and the park. You want it to scare you,calm you, excite your kids and family.Not to look at cars

Im sorry im having a rant but thinking about this just made me rather angry!

Squiggles
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:23 pm

Perhaps you should wait and see what the park are doing before pouring scorn on it. The Car Show Room might not necessaily be what you are thinking it will be.
Edwardo..... move me!

Redcoat Jase
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:11 pm

"Squiggles" wrote:
Perhaps you should wait and see what the park are doing before pouring scorn on it. The Car Show Room might not necessaily be what you are thinking it will be.

Precisely, Didn't people originally think that the Driving School was for advanced driving! :roll:
...is no longer a member of TowersTimesForum