UK theme parks from another point of view!

Liam
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

'Major' Attractions for 2008?

Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:36 pm

Carrying on from the news topic...
[quote=""TowersTimes"] The 2008 season will see the next large investment for the park, in terms of a "major and exciting" project. The nature and location of this major new project has yet to be officially released, although a planning application may be made soon.

It could be a water coaster seeing as there were rumours not that long ago. It would make sense seen as the planning application is only just going to be placed.

Water coasters do look fun, but I also find them hideous to look at and I'm not sure if Alton Towers could make the effort to theme one Europa-style.

It may be a major, thrilling dark ride of the Tower of Terror/Adventures of Spiderman/DarKastle type variety or even a new indoor coaster ala Revenge of the Mummy. For it to be 'Major and Exciting' I would think it would have to be at less suitable for small children and more adapted to thrill-seekers. However rides such as ToT seem to attract people of all ages which I suppose is the perfect aim in building a ride.

Could also simply be another short outdoor coaster that seems to be the current trend, and maybe even another prototype coaster from B&M.
The hill that the Air queue goes up looks perfect for a lift hill up the side, in a similar way that Nemesis does.

Anyway, next summer looks like it will be much more exciting than this one. :D
Last edited by Liam on Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

$t£v£
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:13 pm

I'm praying it'll be a B&M coaster.
If it is am i right in thinking that AT will be the theme park with the most B&M coasters?
$t£v£, formerly Mr Writer.

Gax
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:18 pm

^ It will be joint most, theres a couple with 4 at the moment i think.

I'd love to see a B&M, or maybe the woodie! I dont know, hopefully not just a quick coaster job like spinball or rita..

CGM
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:44 pm

I'm thinking another shot at a woodie- probably not the original valley design but a much smaller average-sized woodie. But if it's an Intamin like the original design was, from what I've heard it should still be amazing.

I'm probably completely wrong but that's my theory

jim2002
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:09 pm

remember we have still got the black hole tent as well....? its impressively big inside than what you think it would be! try and fit something like the new one at oakwood or possibly something on the scale of Gforce at drayton? would be very good inside there. or a major new, or two, thrill rides.

Nutty dreadz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:57 am

Well, from the very basic information we have got at this stage, it could be absolutely anything! So I can imagine we are gonna get a few ideas floating around.. They've not even it narrowed it down into any particular area, so we can't even guess how big this thing is gonna be.. It's all very secretive at the moment, which in a way is better, cos people get so many different ideas and I guess its a bit interesting - However we could be disappointed when we see the confirmed plans!!

Whatever it is I reckon it's gonna be big - the past two rides built have been aimed more at families and kids with CATCF and Driving School - I wonder whether they will continue with a new ride like this, or having something more thrilling.

I think what Liam said about having another shot at a new prototype coaster would be really good - Especially if it was all kept a bit secretive like Oblivion was, cos the hype about that was huge and really got people thinking.

Adam
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:19 pm

Personally i would LOVE to see a water coaster, with indoor/dark ride eliments (like Journey to Atlantis, Sea World) and themed REALLY WELL, with an amazing story!

Before this story was released i did hear rumours about a woodie and water coaster coming to the park? Could it be both?...
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."

plasticboy
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:02 pm

As it has been said, could be absolutely anything.

However we can say one thing, it WILL be big.
With planning applications going in soon so far ahead when its planned, it must be something major. Also AT have announced it very early, earlier than any other attractions have been announced, meaning that it must have been on the cards for a long time. I just hope whatever they do, they make it big and the best. There's nothing worse than your favourite park building a new ride that they play up to be big, but is beaten by so many others(cough Rita cough)

My money is on a 'Mack' ride. Either a watercoaster or possibly a new sort of ride Mack are developing? The reason i say Mack is because we know AT have been is discussions lately with the company, and with increased dealings with Charlie and now RMT, AT and Mack must have a string bond building.

mad about cheese
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:00 pm

I don't know about you but i think it is going to be a woodie, i know for a fact that wooden coasters cost more, even twice as much than a steel coaster perhaps that is why they aren't having anything big for 2007, they may be needing twice as much the yearly profit.

CGM
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:47 pm

Erm in my experience, woodies are usually much cheaper than steel coasters

Magical Ryan
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:58 pm

Heya
Well i am very against Wooden coaster for the amount of wood they use, But i would love to see a B&M Coaster coming into the park in 2008 as Alton has not had a major attraction since 2002 and a good B&M would get Alton going again.
Thaniks Ryan2006
Last edited by Magical Ryan on Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

mad about cheese
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:14 pm

I'm sorry "Ryan2006" since 2002 are you joking you don't think a 33,000,000 pound hotel and waterpark complex is not major, you need to see a doctor lol :lol:

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:29 pm

Very nice news! I certainly don't think we should expect a B&M or Woodie, or anything quite that big, but then if they are submitting this early, then maybe there is a slight chance! I'm not going to hold my breath though. I don't expect another major, major coaster until at least 2010 in all honesty.

My bets are on a water coaster. And if it is to require planning permission, perhaps within the BH Site and coming out towards both enterprise and SW? Or even a Flume replacement maybe!

A question... if this planning application is sent, should we expect to see the news of the Staffordshire website? If so, exciting stuff. From a gim beginning, the future of Alton Towers all of a sudden looks very bright again.

CGM
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:03 pm

Well i am very against Wooden coaster for the amount of wood they use

There's no need to be really. The wood that woodies are usually made of is yellow cedar which is farmed and constantly replenished. Woodies have minimal effect on deforestation and I should think in the long run they have less effect on the environment than a steel coaster would

Anonymous

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:06 am

Personally, I'd love to see a big water coaster somewhere in Katanga Canyon, themed in the same way. Don't know how they'd manage it in that area, but there must be some way. That area hasn't had any change since 1992! It's surely time for something new there?

Williscroft

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:38 am

I haven’t got a clue what it could be but so many exciting ideas are whizzing through my head. What ever it is im hoping its something impressive, you know when people stand back and go "wow Alton Towers have done it again" that’s the sort of feeling I want as we haven’t seen that in years.

Hopefully the planning permission will be fine and all be ok meaning we can get excited about any advertisements around the park advertising this new attraction, that’s if they choose to advertise it and not keep it quiet.

:D

Rory
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:06 am

Could be anything really. But I feel it is to be worthwhile, then this needs to be big, the calibur of Oblivion, Nemesis and AIR - yes SW and rita were good rides to fill queues, but they didnt put Alton Towers on the map like those three did.

I would love to see a Wardley development back in the park for 2008 as he has seemed to be the common denominator in a lot of things that are great about Alton Towers. I am actually quite hopefull and optiministic that this will be big - I think AT have listened to our views through these type of boards and certainly through the reviews section. I would like to see a Woodie, as this will be different and unique - in terms of if they could do something with the valley, not many other parks have this sort of thing.

Im not sure about a water ride, but it would be good. My reasons are that I see AT developing into a bigger park and perhaps the resort they are setting out in the future and I can see season time changes, for example I think the park will open Feb half term - meaning less of a market for water rides during the colder early and late months. I would like to see a flat ride that will surprise us.

Any ideas anyone, where these developments could be? I cant see other rides being pulled down.

Satch

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:33 am

Wasn't there a statement recently that there wont be any new coaster additions for a while as Alton want to focus away from this image and go for more family oriented attractions? This could mean anything from a never seen before flat to the continually rumoured 5D cinema

Vik
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:42 am

Yep think there was, and also JP confirmed on the Behind the scenes tour in July that they want to get away from the impression that Alton Towers is all about coasters, and focus more on family attractions. Also mentioned was that the woody through the valley would not happen, and probably never would, though a smaller, family orientated one may one day appear in the future.

Really dont think, that whatever comes in 2008 will be a coaster, but you never no, they could suprise us.
Sent from my ZX81 via Time Travel

AstroDan

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:55 am

How nice, I go away for 6 days and come back to all these rumours.

Here's my view:

As I have said before, a water coaster would be an excellent addition for Alton Towers. There aren't many around in all honesty and all those that do exist look pretty good. Granted, I have only been on Poseidon but the others also look good too. However, un-themed, I can imagine them being rather uninspiring to look at so it would really depend on how Towers approached such a ride.

However, if it is not to be a Water Coaster, then there are plenty of other options. A Super Splash? An Aqua Trax? Some kind of new ride? Really, the options are endless.

Of course this is stirring excitement in me, as once again the park is being associated with one of my favourite ride types of all time (the Water Coaster), but I think i'll hold back from getting carried away until a) i see plans submitted and b) we know what it is to be.

:D