UK theme parks from another point of view!

Nick

Wed May 30, 2007 5:24 pm

I get the feeling though that it will just be a ride dumped into the tent. I hope for it to be heavily themed, from the queueline to the station to the actual ride area. It would be great to haev certain parts lit up to see themeing, but not see the rest of the track or the tent

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 30, 2007 5:27 pm

Any ride in the BH tent is ideal for Alton Towers to theme. Basically because it doesn't need much doing.

AstroDan

Wed May 30, 2007 5:53 pm

"Nick" wrote:
I get the feeling though that it will just be a ride dumped into the tent. I hope for it to be heavily themed, from the queueline to the station to the actual ride area. It would be great to haev certain parts lit up to see themeing, but not see the rest of the track or the tent

If the queueline and station are themed, and we see perhaps the odd use of lighting during the ride itself, then it would be fine.

However we still haven't got any official word that this is what's happening.

Kaycee

Wed May 30, 2007 5:56 pm

I think the darkness of the tent is no excuse for it to not be themed that much. EuroSat at Europa-Park is a fantastic example of a well-themed dark ride and the theming in the actual coaster area put Black Hole to shame. Saying that, Black Hole's station was very well-themed I thought. But I'm just saying that just because it's a dark ride, it's not an excuse to be lazy with the theming - there's so much more potential because it's a dark ride.

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 30, 2007 6:17 pm

"Kaycee" wrote:
I think the darkness of the tent is no excuse for it to not be themed that much. EuroSat at Europa-Park is a fantastic example of a well-themed dark ride and the theming in the actual coaster area put Black Hole to shame. Saying that, Black Hole's station was very well-themed I thought. But I'm just saying that just because it's a dark ride, it's not an excuse to be lazy with the theming - there's so much more potential because it's a dark ride.

Agreed, but I get the sense that Alton Towers will in fact not bother to add any additional theming to the already present Black Hole stuff.

I think externally the tent could be modernized fantastically. The addition of some great landscaping surrounding the tent (I've always loved the thought of the tent being surrounded by water. Don't know how feasible this is, but fantastic idea nonetheless), updated paint work and general work on the tents exterior (another idea, glass paneling on the tent that reflects and the light and this makes the tent sparkle and glimmer... vague idea but one I have visually thought of). It's merely a tent afterall, some alterations could really give it that modernistic vibe and could add to X-Sector in a huge way.

However, this is very short term and any theming we would see would probably mimic the... 'crapiness' (for want of a better word), of Rita/SW. And here, no theming would result in nothing less than Black Hole quality, a vaguely well themed ride (for the theming it had) nontheless - so I'm sure they take the easy, yet risk proof route.

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 30, 2007 8:40 pm

"Queen of Speed" wrote:
^ Good news that a Eurofighter is being installed in the Black Hole tent for next year then! :)

Is this just Forum Enduced Rumour or is this news from a reliable source? I hope it is true as it makes perfect sense to replace the BH. Black Hole 2.0 anyone think?

Nick

Wed May 30, 2007 8:51 pm

Black Hole 2 would be such an un-original name, and it doesn't really allow them to link any themeing to the name really

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 30, 2007 10:10 pm

I didn't say Black Hole 2, I said Black Hole 2.0. Derrrrrr! Would you prefer 'Black Hole Returns'? Anyway, I will remind you this is AT the No1 Theme Park in the country that names its rides after the stuff we breath and 90 year old ladies! What's wrong with Black Hole 2.0! I think it is a bit quirky!! (Tongue firmly wedged in cheek)

Johno
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 30, 2007 10:15 pm

Black Hole 2.1

Sounds a bit better

Thomas
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 30, 2007 10:17 pm

Err no.

I would rather see a total re-brand(if that's the right word). Nothing that gimmicks Black Hole.

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 30, 2007 11:26 pm

They didn't change the name of space mountain! If a new coaster was built in the tent, I wouldn't mind it simply being called the black hole. Its a great name, unless they can think of something better.
Formerly "Dagoo"

Queen of Speed
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 30, 2007 11:39 pm

Is this just Forum Enduced Rumour or is this news from a reliable source? I hope it is true as it makes perfect sense to replace the BH. Black Hole 2.0 anyone think?
Well Rides Supervisors have been informed by upper management that it is the plan for 2008. Obviously it could still not happen due to whatever reason but it is definitely an official project plan.

John
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 31, 2007 12:10 am

Would be great to see a eurofighter in the tent, though I can see capacity being an issue - with only 8 person cars compared with the 12 of BH they're going to need really impressive dispatch or the park could have another spinball on their hands.

Phantom
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 31, 2007 12:18 am

Right, this is some silly rumour not backed up by any evidence of a train or track.

Gerstlauer track is exactly similar to Schwarzkopf (minus the tri-track). Because they bought most of the shares of Schwarzkopf, hence why then own their old factory.

Why would Alton Towers invest in a roller coaster that has already been built twice in the UK, it would be smaller than the other two. (Speed being 120ft and Rage being 80ft). I think the height of the tent is 60ft approximatley, so it would be a bad move if they built one. They can't dig holes in the ground because of the constant erosion of the ground because of the forces Oblivion puts on it. Yes it could be mounted on a base, but it would be silly and have a lift hill of only 50ft, causing a pathetic roller coaster.
To nail the idea that Typhoon could fit in the tent is that Typhoon is 84ft tall, so it wouldn't fit, unless you made the tent bigger, which would then stick over the top of the trees, which would be silly as the tent would look invevitably daft.
The track of a Schwarzkopf are exactly similar to Gerstlauer.
http://www.rcdb.com/ig799.htm?picture=8
^ Black Holes track
http://www.rcdb.com/ig2229.htm?picture=10
^ Gerstlauer Eurofighter Typhoon track.

The only Gerstlauer ride that could fit in the tent with some degree of success is their Bobsled coasters, which again uses the SAME track as Schwarzkopf coasters, they use tight turns and helix's, utilising a small amount of space to create a great ride. Look at Grona Lands Bobsled, its build inside another roller coaster.

So no I don't think there is a chance a Eurofighter could be built within the tent, this is my evidence, purely because it be a bad move for AT and Merlin.
Unless someone proves me wrong by showing me the track.
Gerstlauer Fanboy <3

Phantom
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 31, 2007 12:29 am

"Phantom" wrote:
Gerstlauer track is exactly similar to Schwarzkopf (minus the tri-track). Because they bought most of the shares of Schwarzkopf, hence why then own their old factory.

I guess you can't read that can you? I said excluding the tri-track. As Schwarzkopf never made that.
Like i've said, there is not point building a Eurofighter if there is already 2 in the UK each both being different. It can't be advertised as a "95 Degree drop in the dark!" As that wouldn't appeal as people would've seen Speed and Rage and thought AT had ripped off the idea.

Alton Towers goes for more new ideas for their parks, so a Bobsled could be perfect, if the Gerstlauer rumour is true. As there is only one in the UK. Which is Cobra at Paultons Park, which is a great family ride, quite intense as well.

In future read the post carefully.
Gerstlauer Fanboy <3

Phantom
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 31, 2007 12:38 am

Sorry if im a bit harsh, just im a Gerstlauer fanboy, so i can't help myself. Everytime i come back to TTF its to play down rumours.
Gerstlauer Fanboy <3

Kaycee

Thu May 31, 2007 12:45 am

No excuse for talking to an administrator in that manner. Rumours are just that - rumours - and there's nothing wrong with a bit of healthy speculation, never did anyone any harm.

In future, show a bit of respect and don't be so rude. :)

Gashead
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 31, 2007 12:49 am

"Kaycee" wrote:
No excuse for talking to an administrator in that manner. Rumours are just that - rumours - and there's nothing wrong with a bit of healthy speculation, never did anyone any harm.

Kaycee, As Admin you should relise that CF have the plans already. John Wardley himself handed them over on the TV show eggheads.
Last edited by Gashead on Thu May 31, 2007 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phantom
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 31, 2007 12:50 am

"Kaycee" wrote:

In future ridiculous rumours shouldn't start without evidence. As after all its a rumour. Anyway im not the only one who goes into another forum being rude ;) Hehe. :P
Gerstlauer Fanboy <3

Gashead
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 31, 2007 12:53 am

"Phantom"&quot;][quote=&quot;"Kaycee" wrote:

In future ridiculous rumours shouldn't start without evidence. As after all its a rumour. Anyway im not the only one who goes into another forum being rude ;) Hehe. :P[/quote]

What?! Lol so your saying a rumour shouldnt start as it has no evidance - yet it wouldnt be a rumour if it had evidance it would be fact therefore not needing the rumour in the first place? Dork