UK theme parks from another point of view!

Dormiens-Dave

Re: Air Tunnel

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:49 pm

"BrettS" wrote:
Unfortunately they have no intention of doing anything with that tunnel any time in the near future. The only thing air will be getting besides craft parts and a maintained ride is a new floor platen.

Actually they do have intentions for the Tunnell they just never do it because of budget. JP stated they looked into it this year and it was been costed up, as ive already said though i really doubt they will do it

oldgitBEN

Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:42 am

ugh please no concrete ridges for the station, how can they remove any less from this ride?

It will look beyond ****! Nothing says 'flying' like staring at concrete floors followed by a concrete tunnel. I mean a lowering metal floor isnt exactly high tech or good theming but remove it and the ride drops even lower.

I really dispaire sometimes, theres just no sense.

Big Dave

Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:03 am

I dont think they will remove the floor as the who station is based around the floor platten. I think they will simply put a new floor platten in as a refurb of the floor is well over due as I believe its ment to be done every 5yrs!

Coke
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:53 pm

Sorry if I sound stupid, but can I ask what these 'ridges' are?

Are you thirsty?

[Archive]

Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:06 pm

Concrete grooves in the ground that allow space for the train to tilt, instead of a flat level floor that lowers.

Here they are on Tatsu.

Coke
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:59 pm

Thank you

Are you thirsty?

Big Dave

Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:25 pm

:yikes: God did'nt realise they were that ugly! I think we should stick with the floor platterns even if they are unreliable!

Plus I love how the light shimmers of it when ever so slightly wet
Thanks to Matt Henty for photo

oldgitBEN

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:51 pm

yeah you can see why i so adamantly dont want them, they are just awful

Bote
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:11 pm

I agree with Dave and Ben. I'd sacrifise the reliability for those ugly concrete speed bumps :P

James
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:16 pm

Lol, I agree with all of the above, those concrete grooves look vile, and would just add as a continuity of the car park theme that Air goes for. :P

Mr P

Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:28 pm

I Agree, The style and image of the ride would be completely absent if the concrete splurged out from the confines of it's cruddy tunnel to the floor of the futuristic/"cool" station.

air_head
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:11 am

The grooves on Manta at Seaworld are much nicer, some sort of plastic/metal groove by the look of it. Kind of the more expensive version of Tatsu.

Apologies for the poor picture, but it's the only one I can find of the station. You get the idea though.

Anonymous

Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:51 am

It's absurd you'd rather have a metal floor platen which gets slippery when wet, unreliable and a massive technical night mare; It's the main cause for air downtime. Agreed the ones on Manta look nicer than Tatsus.

I'd rather get the concrete grooves in, there is a reason why Manta and Tatsu have these grooves... because air was the prototype and they have learned from it's mistakes. That is why it's proposed to under go this change.

Coke
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:40 am

If Air is having grooves it better have the ones like Manta...

Are you thirsty?

Nightfall
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:46 am

Out of interest why does the floor cause so many problems? I'm guessing it's the same model as on the B&M inverted coaster. From a technical point of view I can't see any reason why Airs needs to be more complicated. All it needs to do is move down while the cart is in the inverted position and back up again when it's returned to that position. Assuming the position can be controlled separately as the floor is already down before the carts tip back.
ImageImage

Dormiens-Dave

Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:41 am

I think its to do with the sequencing of floor movement and train movement but im not sure. Big Dave prob knows

Khanage
TT Member
TT Member

Air Tunnel

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:32 am

I was gonna say before air_head pointed it out but there is nothing set in stone (or concrete :P) that the floor will be a concrete eyesore. It could be anything as long as the grooves are there.
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

Big Dave

Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:09 pm

Ok first off Brett:

Whats more slippy, steel with ridges in it or flat, smooth, sealed concrete? Think that proves my point!
They are not unreliable has every inverted has them! Its just the current system is flawed.

Secondly the floor errors:

Floor errors only occur rarely and is not such a huge problem if staff actually check the restraints properly in the first place. The floor platten error normally occurs when leg flaps are not all the way back and the system does an aborted send due to the leg flap sensor tripping the ride out.

The station operator then has to lower it back down into the seated position but at the same time trying to keep the rest of the harnesses locked. To do this they have to press the harness unlock and harness lock at the same time. Just before the system tries to unlock the harnesses, the unlock button has to be let go but still keeping the locked button pressed. The problem occurs when they let go of the unlock button too soon and the floor has not fully raised. The system gets confused and the whole floor needs to be reset.

A simple solution would to be get B&M out and to have them replace the current way of doing it with a better way where you can bring it down without having to worry about holding unlock for too long or too short.

The floor platten is a much better and more impressive way of doing it and normally doesnt cause much aggro during normal opperation, so why get rid of it?

deadwing
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:40 pm

I went on Manta a few months ago and the floor looked exactly the same Tatsu's. Yellow and Black markings and all. They must have changed it since that photo was taken.
In the coat you wore to Alton Towers is still the way I see you now...

DiogoJ42

Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:26 pm

I know I'm not an expert on these things, but it sounds to me like Air's problems stem from software, not hardware. :?