UK theme parks from another point of view!

mezza
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Your concept for the woody.

Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:34 pm

So it's looking more and more likely that the woody is going to happen. The question is where will it be and what will it be like?

This thread is to post your ideas about name / theme / location / backstory etc. What would you like the woody to be like?

Here's my concept:

------------------------------

The coaster is essentially themed as an old 1940's - 1950'sa wooden coaster, and therefore has a classic 'wooden coaster' name, perhaps, 'The Alton Cyclone' for example. It would have lots of lovely period details - little flags, elaborate signage, etc, but there's a twist!

The backstory of the area around the coaster is this:

It's a part of the park that was built back in the 40's - but was abandoned and closed down many years ago, (perhaps because there was an accident on the ride), so it's in a whole section of the park was sealed off and forgotten about, until now, when it has just been rediscovered. So everything has kind of remained as it was in the 40's, and 50's but is now derelict and overgrown. So the coaster itself is now surrounded by trees and plants that have grown up around it, and everything has been given the appearance of being broken and decayed, eg, flickering neon signs, abandoned candy floss carts, perhaps even an old carousel (ike the Gallopers Carousel) that is still spinning, but is broken and deserted. There would also maybe be a couple of shop frontages that are all boarded up. The music would be old fairground type music, deliberately distorted and crackly. So the feel of the area would be quite ghostly and creepy. There would be signs by the entrance to the ride area saying 'Danger! Do Not Enter!' and things like that. There is also a sign near the entrance to the area, which apparently dates back to when the area was closed, explaining why the area was closed off. So you almost feel like you're trespassing on to this old, abandoned part of the theme park. The ride itself would be enhanced by lots of little cues to make you think that it is rickety and unsafe.

This theme would work best on the site of Coaster Corner, off Cred Street, because then it would tie in to the genuine history of that part of the site, but it's perhaps unlikely that the coaster is going to go there. It would also work well in the woods around Gloomy Woods - if it was around here, you'd perhaps add in to the back-story that the part of the park had been closed down because it was believed to be haunted. The theme would also work if the ride was round the back of Ugland somewhere, but it would form a separate area, distinct from Ugland.

I think it would be a good concept because a lot of the appeal of woodies is that classic, 'retro' element to them, so the theme would tie in to that idea but with an interesting backstory.
EXIT THROUGH THE SHIPPING CONTAINER

Dyls
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Your concept for the woody.

Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:38 pm

"mezza" wrote:
So it's looking more and more likely that the woody is going to happen. The question is where will it be and what will it be like?

This thread is to post your ideas about name / theme / location / backstory etc. What would you like the woody to be like?

Here's my concept:

------------------------------

The coaster is essentially themed as an old 1940's - 1950'sa wooden coaster, and therefore has a classic 'wooden coaster' name, perhaps, 'The Alton Cyclone' for example. It would have lots of lovely period details - little flags, elaborate signage, etc, but there's a twist!

The backstory of the area around the coaster is this:

It's a part of the park that was built back in the 40's - but was abandoned and closed down many years ago, (perhaps because there was an accident on the ride), so it's in a whole section of the park was sealed off and forgotten about, until now, when it has just been rediscovered. So everything has kind of remained as it was in the 40's, and 50's but is now derelict and overgrown. So the coaster itself is now surrounded by trees and plants that have grown up around it, and everything has been given the appearance of being broken and decayed, eg, flickering neon signs, abandoned candy floss carts, perhaps even an old carousel (ike the Gallopers Carousel) that is still spinning, but is broken and deserted. There would also maybe be a couple of shop frontages that are all boarded up. The music would be old fairground type music, deliberately distorted and crackly. So the feel of the area would be quite ghostly and creepy. There would be signs by the entrance to the ride area saying 'Danger! Do Not Enter!' and things like that. There is also a sign near the entrance to the area, which apparently dates back to when the area was closed, explaining why the area was closed off. So you almost feel like you're trespassing on to this old, abandoned part of the theme park. The ride itself would be enhanced by lots of little cues to make you think that it is rickety and unsafe.

This theme would work best on the site of Coaster Corner, off Cred Street, because then it would tie in to the genuine history of that part of the site, but it's perhaps unlikely that the coaster is going to go there. It would also work well in the woods around Gloomy Woods - if it was around here, you'd perhaps add in to the back-story that the part of the park had been closed down because it was believed to be haunted. The theme would also work if the ride was round the back of Ugland somewhere, but it would form a separate area, distinct from Ugland.

I think it would be a good concept because a lot of the appeal of woodies is that classic, 'retro' element to them, so the theme would tie in to that idea but with an interesting backstory.

This idea could work really well, the only problem i have is the old crackly music. If you are in a long que, you will be suicidal by the time you get to the end. I love the idea of the old carousel still spinning

Dogbert
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:12 am

I really do like that idea. It does seem like a really really 'fun' theme, in the sense that it is different from anything else in the park. The spinning Carousel idea really is a fine touch (though knowing AT, if they did have it there it would barely be moving most the time).
What, you were expecting something witty?

jam&lob
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:39 pm

I think that this is a great idea. Coaster corner would be perfect as most visitors to Alton Towers don't know about it.
Please visit The Online Games Directory
http://www.freewebs.com/togd/

Anonymous

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:51 pm

Great idea and personally think it would fit in really well between gloomy wood and merry england, as its a bit of a mix of the "tradition" meets the rusty kinda thing, providing a great transition from both areas. Love the idea of the carousel but I'd personally prefer it to be a working ride as its more likely to be appreciated by management and in working order, but obviously still themed with creaky floorboards and old horses with the name sashes etc,

Also love the idea of the boarded up shop windows but make gaps so you can see into them and have old sweet shop's, wedding parlours and that kind of thing possibly a simple ghostly loop reel in one or two of them similar to "Emily Alton" in the dolls house, just on a slightly larger scale to tie in with the haunted effect, lots of little details like this would make for a great area and a great ride.

Really hope that Alton pull there fingers out and work to the bone on this one and make it worth its weight in gold, but Im not getting my hopes up too much.

JaiB!

SW-Dave
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:59 pm

I like the idea, but personally I would prefer to see something more surreal and mythical, the further away from present day reality, the better IMO.

Coaster Corner seems unlikely to me, the reason it was taken down in the first place (if I remember correctly) is because it was too near to Alton village and so people complained about noise. Unlikely that they will let them build a big woodie there instead.

The most likely place is a further extension into the car park behind Air, thats where alton own aliot of land, which they are allowed to dedvelop on, and is some distance from nearby residential areas.

Personally I never really understood what the big deal was about the orrigional plan, and I would still love to see a ride built across the valley floor (maybe a B&M speed-coaster, but now I'm just day dreaming).

Anyhoo, theme wise, I think that if your forced into an extension the forbidden valley area, then perhaps a theme based on the alien world where Nemesis came from.

SweetChinMusic123
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:53 pm

for those not familiar with it, I give you 'the Alton Towers Scenic Railway'.

CONCEPT-old coaster built in the 1920s/30s-at the time was the best roller coaster in the world. However, a crash on the ride led to its being condemned, but the park has never gotten round to it. Tomorrow, the ride will be demolished.

RIDE-queueline starts in woodland, curving back on itself, before bridging the queueline, where a coaster track just goes straight into the ground, with a train apparently having crashed there. You then enter the cattle grid queuelines beneath the station, before entering the pre-ride show. Here you are accosted by an old man, who has worked at the park since the coaster was built, and has mant fond memories of it. He tells you you can have a look around, but that you are not to mess about with the ride.

You enter the station, whereupon an empty train climbs up the lifthill (concealed within the structure & queuelines) into the station. You proceed to board, and off you go. The train takes a few small bunny hops & a gentle helix before entering what appears to be the end of the ride, complete with barriers etc. which open as you enter this station. However, a hick pitched scream of laugher then erupts, the barriers slam shut, the lights go off and the train runs out of the station. You turn to the left, and are suddenly accelerated up to 50mph (using kick wheels) over the drop into the valley. This is followed by an intense period of turns & helixes including a few tunnels, before making the return trip across the valley. In the finale, an extremely fast & steep drop is made into a pitch-black tunnel. Then you hit the brake run.

The train now moves forward into the subterannean station, and a foot tunnel takes you back to near the entrance. The train you have deboarded climbs the lifthill back to the station, and so the cycle begins again.

Ash
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:53 pm

Are you ready for this :D.....................

tell me what you think!? :D

The Curse: The Dark Tale Of The Towers

Narrator: Tom Baker (In a deep well spoken voice, however still has a harsh tone)

(Ambient Sound Effect and Music Piece)
Many people believe that legend of Hex ™ and the chained oak is the only chronicle, which plays a part in the history of Alton Towers. This dark, un-explained story, shrouded in mystery is only a chapter in the shadowy folklore, which surrounds the local estate of Alton Towers. There is the myth, and then there is the legend. Hex is a mere fairy tale compared to that of Alton’s own headless horseman.

(Storm Sound Effect)
Twas on a cold autumn night in 1821 when the thunder of hooves signalled the return of the wealthy 15th Earl of Shrewsbury to his home, Alton Towers. As the journey neared its end a mysterious figure suddenly appeared in the middle of the path. The earl impatiently demanded of the driver why his carriage had stopped. With palm outstretched an old woman, barely able to straighten her fingers, pleaded with earl for the charity of a coin

(High pitched, raspy voice of and old woman)
‘Spare a farthing for an old beggar?’

Narrator: The earl coldly and cruelly dismissed her and instructed his driver to head back the towers. Scorned and hurt the old woman screamed a curse,

(Old woman and cackle sound effect)
‘For every branch of the old oak tree that falls, a member of your family will fall with it.’

Narrator: Later that very same night a ferocious storm raged and with one mighty bolt of lightning,(Thunder/Storm Sound Effect) it severed a single branch from the old oak tree. True to the old woman’s prophesy the Earl’s favourite aunt abruptly fell ill. In tears at the foot of her bed the Earl watched his favourite aunt decline into demise. She then suddenly and mysteriously died. (Organ Sound Effect)

Shaken by this tragedy the arrogant earl ordered his servants that every remaining branch on the old oak tree would be chained up (Hammering Sound Effect) in an attempt to prevent further mis fortune. But the story did not end there. Legend states that the earl became so obsessed with the fallen branch that he dragged it from the woods to a secret vault. There he became locked in a battle with science versus the supernatural, conducting bizarre experiments in an attempt to banish the evil power of the curse, forever.

For nearly two hundred years the entrance or even existence of the Earl’s vault has remained a complete mystery until last year when restoration work revealed a mysterious passageway hidden behind an ancient bookcase. By now workmen often felt cold draughts, moisture and condensation on their hands. Equipment began to malfunction; something strange was taking place in this part of the towers. It was this passageway that unearthed the secret, stranger than anyone could have imagined, it was a vault sealed for two centuries and within the legendary fallen branch itself, twisted and had rotted black with age.

(You now pass a large black branch in the outer part of the queue line. This has chains spread over it. The speakers are hidden in rocks among the foliage, causing the voice to appear to be inside the header of the rider. The queue line then enters the to ancient castle, past an old bookcase and into a themed vault )

It was inside this sealed vault that the second part to this ancient legend was revealed. It is a well-known fact that the earl was a very religious man, which explains why he took the curse so seriously. The tree is proof that something went drastically wrong in the village of Alton. There are powers related to the tree beyond the imagination of any man alive. When the vault with the branch was opened the meddling with electrical equipment and workmen complained of suffering from dizzy spells. Recently during restoration work during recent restoration work at the towers a building team were required to remove a set of slabs from The Drawing room in the towers. Underneath some of these slabs were what appeared to them as broken round biscuit tins which were placed to one side. Perhaps with the intention of opening them during their lunch break.

The team of archaeologists on site recognised the tins and took them away to a laboratory to be opened. Inside it was discovered that they contained un-developed Victorian film, which they treated and developed. It showed the oak tree becoming wrapped in chains.

Once venturing down this tunnel the vault was made apparent. It contained the fallen branch, which had caused so much pain to the family of the earl and the people of Alton. (Bubbles Sound Effect) Large experiments were set up in the vault, Along with many strange and unknown mixtures of chemicals. A book lay on the large, pine, medical bench. It was entitled ‘The Autumn Equinox and Enchantment of Others.’

Mystic and supernatural papers lay over the bench. Designs for experiments were pinned to the walls. Along with all these items was found a large journal written by the earl. Inside we see that this curse plagued the earl for much longer than he expected.

The Earl –(Has a well spoken, arrogant voice)
‘I now fear for the life of my family. Those close to me are at risk, including my wife and children. This hex has beleaguered the village of Alton and its entire people. I have done all I can to banish this curse. I dread that I will lose another beloved member of my family, and that I must battle with this gypsy woman to abolish this enchantment. My chains cannot last forever, and when they break they shall take a part of me with them.’

Narrator – Tom Baker
These suspicions of the earl were not to be dismissed as pure fantasy. Several months after the first victim to the Hex another was to soon emerge from the eerie mist. It was a crisp winter night when a storm began to frenzy again. The clouds merged in the sky. The wind began to whip and claw at the surrounding countryside. The old beggar woman appeared to be manipulating the skies. Thunder roared throughout the land causing the earth to tremor in its wake. Strings of lightning shattered the black canvas of the night. Then with one strike another branch fell from the old oak tree. It plummeted towards the ground accompanied by heavy, severed chains, resting beneath the tree on which it once stood, still in flames, smouldering, soon to be extinguished by the storm.

The next day on one of many regular passes of he tree the earl discovered this fallen branch. This sight caused his heart to shatter. He broke down, screaming at his driver to go at haste to the towers. As soon as he arrived back he ordered his young wife to leave the estate by horse. Fearing for her life she left without question. Immediately the earl entered his hidden vault, feverishly, madly and frantically conducting more strange and mysterious experiments casting his own spells onto the branch and shouting extracts from the bible. He called the curse,

The Earl: (Also blood whispers sound effect)
‘The eternal damnation of all that is wrong. This is the work of Satan himself.’

Narrator:
Nothing would appear to remove the power of this great oak and as the earl became petrified by what may happen to his wife. The attractive, valiant, countess filled with fear found her strong white horse in the Towers’ stables. Weeping, whispering prayers for her two young children, she galloped through the forests surrounding the estate. This tough and capable rider punctured the earth with the hooves of her white horse.

She ducked and weaved throughout the vegetation, under and around the branches. Her heart raced, as she feared for her life. It felt like it was attempting to escape from her chest. The horse travelled faster and faster even though the forest became denser and denser. The courageous, young woman placed her trust in the faithful horse.

Her heartbeat got faster. The chanting of the lords prayer became louder and louder, her breathing booming throughout her body. Then out of no where a branch creaked towards her, pushed by the wind and with one clean swipe her head was completely separated from her body. Another person had been lost to the curse. Her head rolled along the forest floor among the crisp, winter leaves. Her eyes still showing her fear and agony glared up into the sky. The horse continued to run, with her body. Her white hands still clutching the black leather reins. Failing to ever be discovered again. Back at the castle the earl thought he had beaten the curse after chanting the lords prayer above it and commanding his priest to perform ancient rituals and even an exorcism. Unknowing what had happened to his wife.

The wife was missing for several days whilst an army of servants were sent to look for the Countess. Upon scouring the village of Alton the head, without the body was discovered and brought back to the earl. Immersed in grief and fear, in a final attempt appease the curse the earl buried the head of his wife at the foot of the tree, where the first cursed branch once fell. To this very day the horse can be heard travelling throughout the streets of Alton. Its hooves are heard echoing though the valleys but no horse appears to be there. However late at night the white horse of the countess can be seen bearing the decapitated body of the earls wife still searching for her lost head along the path in front of the old oak tree.

The tree can still be visited to this day but make sure you do not travel there alone and if you hear the sound of hooves behind you make sure you run for your life (Scream Sound Effect) The headless woman may finish her quest for her lost head by taking yours!

Upon hearing of his wife’s death the earl mourned for months until he decided to cover the final trail of his lost wife with wood as to disguise it amongst the trees and hoped that know one would reawaken the Hex ™. Now you have learnt of the horrific death of the earl’s wife. You can now follow this path deep in the heart of Abbey Forest. But beware many overgrown branches cover your path. You should survive. As long as you manage to keep your head…(Sound effect of a old woman cackling laughter. Then a loud thunder strike)

What do you think? Now thats what i call a back story! :D The ride would be and very old and weathered buidling, There would be thunderous sound effects, broken lights etc. As well as some water effects! And a animatronic horse, lots of head choppers and dense trees.

Please tell me what you think!?

Over and out, Titler

phillipvass
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:03 pm

Alton need to completely re-develop the whole Cred Street area to fit in with the new area, for instance:

- The whole of cred street should be re-themed to a sinister old 18th Century village similar to Sleepy Hollow.

Whilst the new area is transformed in this way:

- A Shoot the Chute ride is build and themed as some sort of invention/contraption with rusty moving cogs etc.

http://www.brycetech.com/gallery/picts/ ... hriver.jpg
(Above, what the lake would look like)

- The wooden rollercoaster called Jinx is built, again themed as some sort of contraption which has been built (maybe by the Earl?).

I don't think the area or any of the rides need a strict theme like Hex or Nemesis as long as people get the general idea.

Dr Pop Rocket
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:26 pm

Woodie Name: Poseidon

Woodie Theme: Themed around the lost city of Atlantis, but not Atlantis in its supposed current state which is ruins. But in all its glory when it existed. There is no storyline to the coaster, everything is themed to atlantis type buildings. The station being a large Temple (Like this)where Poseidons sons used to come worship him. In there used to be a large chariot with poseidon in it. In this case it is the actual coaster train themed to look like chariots.

Area Name: Atlantis

Area Theme: As said above its themed to atlantis, if the shoot the chute also goes ahead it would also not have a specific theme but would be themed around a large temple of some sort. Something like this, as you can see the drop would be at the front, just take away the sharks. :P

MostMagicalCat
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:35 pm

woody name=lala
theme=yes an abandonond mine town, authentic woodwork a few tunnels and bright yellow mic`s for the peeps to sing the latest chart hits.

oh wait, they have already concidered this for the RMT, damn it :oops:
[

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:35 pm

I dunno, I just expect to see something with a watery theme.