UK theme parks from another point of view!

tumtum
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

The Flume

Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:02 am

The flume has had a lot of changes over the years but the area that it is in now the ride just dose not fit. All of the other rides in mutiny bay all are pirate themed and the flume is still a bath tub.

I think that alton towers should theme the flume to match with the rest of the area. Instead of bath tubs you could site in pirate ships??.
[/b]

NF2
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:07 am

This came up in the MB thread quite alot actually. We aren't able to see the flume change from bathtubs until the Imperial Leather sponsorship ends, which I think is next year. Once that is finished Alton have 3 options:

1) Leave it the way it is and we'll have to put up with the clash of themes.
2) Update it with a Pirate theme similar to Pirate Falls at Legoland.
3) Rip it out, the rides old now (29 at the end of the season) and it breaks down alot. It occupies such a large amount of space that could be used for anything such as a coaster, dark ride, or even another water ride.

I would be sad to see it go, but like Corky, Alton cannot hold onto rides forever for the sake of sentimental value. Once a ride has had it's time and stops being reliable and fun to ride, unfortunately it's time to part ways :(

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:22 am

Apparently getting planning permission for them building a new ride in the wooded area The Flume is would be very difficult - althought I'd love to see it happen. If anything, the most likely change would be a retheme but in all honestly I think they will leave it as it is. I'm not sure, we'll have to wait and see from photos or from visiting to see how bad the clash is.
Formerly "Dagoo"

SEALIFE
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:18 pm

Well when I was at the park Yesterday (15th opening day) when we were in the tunnel were the drop is there is no longer any lights on and theres a whole in the roof i noticed and the duck dident come on so wether its been removed or not I dont know.

seanyboyuk
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:59 pm

i hope it goes. its been a good ride but certainly time to move on and put something new in there. a water coaster could go well in there easily. dig into the land i say!!

badger

The Flume

Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:27 pm

I was there yesterday (Sat 15th/ opening day). I agree that the flume was looking a little sad, but I am sure that the lack of lights and duck in the tunnel was due to it simply not being turned on. I know that it has happened in the past, and as it was the first day open there are bound to be some technical problems. :roll:

haydn!
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:40 pm

As previously said, I think planning permission in this area would be incredibly difficult to acheive. If the ride is removed/replaced I think the most viable option would simply be an updated version of the flume maybe incorporating some newer features to flume rides like steaper drops, reverse drops and higher capacity boats (Stormforce 10).

If it isn't replaced, it needs to be refurbished again very soon. I was having a bit of a think about this earlier and think some kind of river adventure concept should work really well with the new Mutiny Bay theme around it. The ride could be a hunt for Captain Blacks lost treasures taking inspiration from films like Indiana Jones, Pirates and the Goonies there could be a massive array of extra scenery and effects added.

El Patricko
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:27 pm

Even when they built the flume way back then apparently it was a task getting planning APPS i always assumed this is why it was constructed at 15ft above the forest/garden floor

Mabye they could get away with building with some form of "eco bribe" so planting more lush noise dampening trees to make up for the (insert ride here) ride.

I would like too see the flume go, and be replaced with a new flume in somewhere like coaster corner. Replacing it's current location would be a mack water coaster. i was under the impression that you could get them in LS/IM varieties but i may be wrong.
"If Alton Towers get a shrek 4d attraction next year i, El Patricko will eat a steak garnished with pond weed"

Officially, "the first man out on the town in shorts 2011"

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:02 pm

It would be hard to get planning permission for the area that The Flume occupies, so I don't see it going any time soon. I think it should be re-themed to fit in with Mutiny Bay for next season, it could be themed really well and would give Mutiny Bay a bigger ride. If this was done though it would have to be done well. :)

amylovesaltontowers
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:06 pm

Alton wouldn't change it yet because it would be a waste of money, they only just changed it to bath tubs.

I havn't been this season yet though, so i don't know how out of place it looks.
\'It is better for people to think you are stupid, than to speak out and remove all doubt in their mind.\'

SEALIFE
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:24 pm

Hasent no one else saw the hole inside the building?

John
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:37 pm

I don't think many(any?) people on the meetup went on the flume at any point over the weekend, so it could be a while before anyone else can confirm it.

I think it would be a shame to lose the tunnel effects. Unless alton planned to return to a generic unthemed flume, as it leaves the current theme rather bare.

Matt-1509
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:42 pm

There was the hole where the ladder comes through the roof but thats the only hole there was on Saturday!

badger

Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:53 pm

It's just an access ladder where there the lid has not been closed properly. It stands out because it's sooooo..... dark in there, due to the effects not being switched on (I suspect). :shock:

Skumfidus

Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:09 pm

Yeah, I went on on Sunday. The tunnel had no lights or effects (the power shower on the bath sprayed us, but you couldn't see it. The duck lit up but no water or movement....boo!

However the WHOLE trough has now been re-covered and painted. For a large part of the day the effect water on the final drop wasn't running, but it is only an effect so didn't affect operation.

I personally would like to see a re-theme and a total overhaul, but I personally would like to see the station rethemed with some sort of galleon (original, i know) with the flume boats being 'landing craft' (seeing as pirate ships always anchored offshore, and then they rowed on to the shore)

I think it would be ace to have the area in the woods themed as a kind of treetop village, like the Ewok village in Star Wars. With the inhabitants being some sort of strange tribe. It would be great to have a kind of story involved - You're a bunch of pirates who have landed on an island, and you're there to get the treasure of the tribe that inhabits it. Of course add some Towers magic and see what happens!

Johno
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:21 pm

I'd like a kind of castle type thing.

Fits in with the idea, and you go on a journey with Captain Black to take over the castle. You get in to the castle, fire effects, smoke effects, different water effects and stuff. Then the ground disappears and you plunge down.

It'd be really good if it was something on par with Jurrasic Park River Adventure etc. !

trav
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:18 pm

I can imagine a new water ride being put in there, that passes over the Haunted Hollow, and drops into the lake with a big splash. Of course, you'd have to theme it to a spooky Castle type thing to keep with both the Mutiny Bay and the Haunted Hollow themes.

To be honest, I suspect that they'll leave it the same, and either renew their contract with Imperial Leather (So that they can still use their products in the Hotels and stuff), or just theme it to ducks in general.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Kaycee

Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:22 pm

However the WHOLE trough has now been re-covered and painted. For a large part of the day the effect water on the final drop wasn't running, but it is only an effect so didn't affect operation.

Apparently one of the pumps has been changed, so that water effect won't be running anymore, going to look a bit weird. :(

Also I hear the duck will be back sooon. :D

Quickey
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:16 pm

^ Yeah. I hearted that the water pump on the final drop won’t be returning any time soon, which is a real shame, as it looks a bit weird and nasty without water poring down. I hope they fix it soon.

Tbh, I don’t think the flume stuck out that much in MB. When I first found out about MB, and that the flume wouldn’t be re themed, I thought it would really stick out, but tbh, I don’t think it dose.

The flume is looking tired now imo. It is nice to see bits of it re painted, but it is still looking very tired, and I think that is coming towards the end of its life sadly.

I wouldn’t like to see it themed to fit in to MB, because then you would have 2 water rides next to each other with virtually the same theme. Instead, I would like to see it replaced by something ells, don’t know what, hopefully a coaster if they can get permission, and then the flume to be moved to adventure land (not the actual ride. a new ride with the same theme), it would maybe fit in where the ice rink tent is now, and could even use the same boats. You could theme it a lot better than it is atm, and get some bigger drops in there. Unlikely, but I think it would be good. It would fit in to adventure land well.

Jon
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:49 pm

Thing is, if planning permission was granted (doubt it, but if) then it would be an oppertunity for the park to really go to town with marketing, and label this as a whole new attraction on it's own as soething big and exciting. With a big budget, a long and boring ride through the woods can be turned into something spectacular. Add three drops, onw of which in the dark, and you have yourself a fantastic and exciting family attraction.
Urgh, so it looks something like this?
It's shocking how quickly that ride has become so ugly since 2004 when it was fresh and squeaky clean.
Formerly "Dagoo"