UK theme parks from another point of view!

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Alton Towers water rides - up to scratch?

Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:56 pm

Hello, I was just wondering what people thought of AT water rides and what could be improved, and what people might like to see in the future as far as wet rides are concerned. :D

I'm sure we're all aware of the ageing condition of the flume even though it was given a new lease of life back in 2004 'bathtime with attitude' and a new sponsor. Plus the fact it is now totally isolated when the pirates moved in turning Merrie England into Mutiny Bay. Any thoughts for it's future?

Then there's the Congo River Rapids over in Katanga Canyon. Probaby more favoured over the flume, particularly in the summer when the queue startes stretching for a mile. What would we like to see happen here in the next few years if anything?

Plus there's the other 'water based' rides - the newly installed Battle Galleons and Ripsaw over in Forbidden Valley. Could we do with another 'water' flat in the future :?:
Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sgt Hammond
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:06 pm

I think the Flume should be replaced with a new dark water ride, going into the story of Mutiny Bay, perhaps how the pirates overthrough the colonialists. With lots of effects etc and a large drop the ride would be much better thab the current. Yea, some parts a good, but how boring is that slow journey round the woods.

Plus, a more compact ride would free up space behind for a GW expansion later on. Everyone wants to see Corkie go, but the Flume is only a year younger, and well... Log Flumes have moved on a lot since too!

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:08 pm

Honestly. They could do better, they are kinda of um tame

The Flume...3 drops and 5 minutes of floating through trees looking a nothing. Boring. The only decent bit is the drop in the dark (lean towards the front and watch the tub fill with water :D)

River Rapids...even when you look like you are going to get soaked, you dont even get slightly wet and the tunnel sucks. Also, theres a massive lack of theming

Battle Galleons...never went on it, but stood at the side, got wet a soaked the people on it. That was fun :D

I hear people saying that the wet rides at Alton shouldnt get people soaked because we dont have the weather. Um..Battle Galleons, they look like they have just been for a swim when coming off that. And when I went, it wasn't the warmest of days.

-----------------------------

They should demolish parts of the log flume and rebuild it and retheme it. Possibly rehouse it or something. Make it into a water coaster like Journey to Atlantis in CA (Or Orlando, however the housing for that is massive) Maybe without that much coaster. Or just make it go downhill slowly for a bit. It would be fast and more exciting, turning corners in water at speed etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSbdd9qb ... re=related

River Rapids should be rethemed. Make them more rapidy and make it look like a river not some bloody flood water escape route . Add mist, trees, jungle like stuff. Add waterfalls etc. Sorted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gk-oc6z ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtrPwnIxfMQ&NR=1

Jase
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:11 pm

I agree, I think the Congo River Rapids need a massive overhaul to de-John Broom them, and make them more a more of a resort standard. It's a great ride, So it wouldn't need much, But just give it a theme and some new sound effects etc.

However, The Flume and Congo River Rapids get massive queues in the summer, But I think that's more to do with the fact people have paid to get in, and will queue for anything to get there money's worth...

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:12 pm

Or to get wet because they are too hot?

Jase
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:14 pm

I'm referring to the rides' themeing and the condition it's in etc. They sure aren't queueing to experience the amazing animatronic Yetti inside the Tunnel! :P

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:17 pm

Yeah i'd forgotten i'd been on the Journey to Atlantis ride when I went to Florida, it's pretty cool, really and I mean really well themed, even the queue line, it's a very good dark ride and slightly scary...

...meanwhile back in Staffordshire, UK there's the ageing flume at Alton Towers...

Sgt Hammond
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:35 pm

"Jase" wrote:
I'm referring to the rides' themeing and the condition it's in etc. They sure aren't queueing to experience the amazing animatronic Yetti inside the Tunnel! :P

But... We have a giant yellow duck that can only wheel out. Worth quing for hey! And thats the highlight of the ride!

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:51 pm

- Flume needs complete overhaul (as much as I like bathtime theme, ride itself is poor).
- Congo River Rapids just need improving; but to what extent?

I think this saying can be said for the flume; don't judge a book by it's cover!

I think you can probably work out what I mean!

Moving on, could the park do with a Shoot-The-Chutes ride in the future???
Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:13 pm

What the heck is a shoot the chute?

EDIT: Oh nm -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmBYJ4lk2BU

Yes!

Khanage
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:22 pm

Admittedly, I must agree that the CRR is in need of improvement - mainly in theming and experience but we must remember that they are over 20 years old! The thing with rapids rides is they require immense amounts of landscaping which would be a massive project considering that so much is built around them now.

CRR is still a great ride and one of my favourites. There are a lot more important things in the park which need attention way before this does.

(Maybe they could add some tunnel theming though)

"Evostance" wrote:
Add waterfalls etc

Umm...

"BOGGY" wrote:
Moving on, could the park do with a Shoot-The-Chutes ride in the future???

I think one of these would be a nice addition to the park.
Last edited by Khanage on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to Adzy for the sig & av.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:22 pm

A Shoot-The-Chutes ride is similar to a flume, except you have a boat instead of a 'log', the boat normally has a flat base, is much wider than a log flume boat and normally seats about 20 people. The track is normally much wider, and is not raised like the channel (or trough) on a flume ride. It normally creates a much bigger splash too, and to be honest they are better than log flumes.
Examples are Tidal Wave at Thorpe, Hydro at Oakwood, Tutuki Splash at PortAventura and Triton's Fury at Terra Mitica. Type it into Google or Wikipedia to find out more.
All I can say is Alton needs one!

Like the one in the vid you picked out, but normally wider, but yes thats it...

...why they called it 'Shoot-The-Chutes, well who knows!!!!
Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liam
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:23 pm

Why is the word "NEW" in the title of this thread?

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:27 pm

I think the park could do far, far better on both the Flume and CRR.

They could both be really, really significant, signature rides. I find that especially Rapids rides are amongst the most effective all-round family rides available for a park. Hence, to aid the whole 'world-class Resort' dream I'd personally expect in long-term plans for both rides to be overhauled/replaced.

The Flume to be ripped out and 100% replaced, with an impeccable Pirate theme and prolonged dark-ride sections. Imagine a large rock-like facade where the last drop of the Flume currently stands. With rocks and wrecks protruding from the mercy lake. Something really impressive.

With CRR, obviously they have a greatly landscaped layout already. I'd merely extend it and replace/re-do the operation system to make it much rougher/wetter, perhaps narrowing the channel and adding a drop feature if possible. I'd then line the channels with faux rock and completely shroud the entire length of the ride with exotic shrubbery and impressive waterfalls/water features. There could also be sections of African themed village and such.

Looking at other major parks, Flume and Rapids rides really do shine as the rides with the most impressive theming. Alton should follow en-suite and they have excellent blank canvases in which to do so.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:35 pm

Totally agree with your ideas, although the flume ride itself is rubbish, I love the theming (what there is of it) but it doesnt fit in anymore and has to go along with ride. Although in the future I would like to see an area where the sort of theming the flume has could be carried, think along the lines of the land where 'Dudley Do Rights Ripsaw Falls' is in in Islands of Adventure. If only Adventure Land had the space.........

Here's a decent picture/s...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/433135226/

EDIT: I believe the area at Islands Of Adventure is called 'Toon Lagoon'.

Damn it! If only Alton had thought of the name first ten years ago.....it would have been a perfect retheme for Merrie England, what with the lake an all.......would fit right in with flume.........
Last edited by CoasterCrazyChris on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:42 pm

"rawandpeace" wrote:

"Evostance" wrote:
Add waterfalls etc

Umm...

Lol, should have explained myself more.

I meant just water pouring of random rocks etc. Not ones that are intentionally placed that and look well...out of place.

They dont fit, the backs of the water falls back onto nothing.

Something a bit like these

Last edited by Evostance on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:47 pm

"Liam" wrote:
Why is the word "NEW" in the title of this thread?

I did this so my new topic would stand out, but i'll remove it if you want...

Johno
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:26 pm

The problem for any complete refurb of the rapids/flume would be that all new water attractions have to be clean, filtered, chlorinated water.

I think I'm right in saying that the flume and rapids get water from a lake somewhere?

I also think that the rapids could be amazing, and adding more thrilling additions could really make them stand out.

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:34 pm

Over hanging rocks, a proper cave etc. Water pouring off rocks.
Widen the channels, make it float into a lake or a wide opening, but they hide the channel with metal barriers just above the water ( you know what iI mean if you have been to Disney)

Seriously, by adding some natural features, making the tunnel more natural and with some lighting and mist, a few waterfalls here and there and rocks at the sides of the channel. it would make the ride much much more fun, would make it more random and generally look and fit into the area so much better,

I dont want to see a crane, old boats and other crap when coming to the end of the ride. And as for the water. Yeh, it comes from that lake next to the rapids. They need to not get the water from there so its cleaner

Something that looks more natural.

Matt
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers water rides - up to scratch?

Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:26 pm

"BOGGY" wrote:
what people might like to see in the future as far as wet thrills are concerned. :D
:

Well..... :wink: :P

Not really legal is it? :lol:

anyway... I'd like to see the water rides we have now cleaned up and refurbed, but no new ones.

English weather is getting worse.
And although BG is good on hot days, it wasn't exactly the biggest success was it? :(

mat
:)x