UK theme parks from another point of view!

D-Man
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Corky Memorial

Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:00 pm

Now that it is true that Corky is going, I would love to see a Corky memorial. What would be brilliant is if they used one of he corkscrews as a Staue and placed it at the Main Entrance to the Park or inside the park where everybody could see it. This would be a perfect memorial to the Ionic and amazing rollercoaster that started off the park called alton towers that would eventually turn into Britain's most special and loved park. This would be a fitting tribute to the 28 years reign that Corky has had at Alton Towers. What are your ideas for a memorial to Corky? and would you like to see a Memorial?
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!

DomB
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:08 pm

Personally I'd love to see one of the corkscrews near the entrance, possibly on the grass.

MPDarby
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:10 pm

Would there be no way of erecting the corkscrews again so guests could walk through them, I for one would think that this would be a good idea and help keep corky in our memories!
Thanks for riding the Runaway Minetrain, we hope you enjoyed your trip. Choo! Choo!

D-Man
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:25 pm

"MPDarby" wrote:
Would there be no way of erecting the corkscrews again so guests could walk through them, I for one would think that this would be a good idea and help keep corky in our memories!

Where would you put the corkscrews over the path leading up to ug land or what? it would also be a very good idea it would ba a way for the public / guests to interact with the corkscrews and touch them. It would be like colossus at Thorpe Park but in working order.
Alba gu brath! Scotland Forever!

Johno
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:11 pm

Nope.

People would just think 'what is this junk'.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's going to be sold off to be honest.

If a smaller park could get it cheaply, and retheme and renovate it, it'd be back to good working condition.

CoasterCrazyChris
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:23 pm

"deek92""][quote=""MPDarby" wrote:

Where would you put the corkscrews over the path leading up to ug land or what? it would also be a very good idea it would ba a way for the public / guests to interact with the corkscrews and touch them. It would be like colossus at Thorpe Park but in working order.[/quote]

This is going a bit OTT... :yes:

DiogoJ42

Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:49 pm

Ace idea! Have both corckscrews, intact spanning a suitable path. and paint 'em a nice bright yellow again.
maybe even have one or two cars of a train sitting on the track between the two 'screws? (weld them to the track so idiots don't start pushing them up the inclines and get run over!)

if all else fails, use the cars as plant pots.

seanyboyuk
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:52 pm

as much as i mentioned about having the inversions as a monument i can see the park selling the ride. end of the day its a business.
on the other hand some type of rememberance wall or possibly a inversion recreation would be cool.

smeg_head
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:14 pm

Being a Corkscrew fan I desperately want something like this to happen.

Sadly, the truth is in 12 months time we'll be drinking out of her - scrap metal is selling at high prices these days and ultimately Merlin is a business and they will sell her off to the highest bidder. Ultimately she'll probably be melted down and be turned into Corky-Cola cans!

altontowers1
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:32 pm

R.I.P CORKSCREW 1980-2008 =[

Ye i would love to see the corkscrews used in some way maybe at the main entrance :roll: ...

were ever lol just as long as they keep them :) .

oh its so sad now i achually no there goin it makes me really sad oh dear lol :cry: my best ride always! :) x
Carling cup winners 2011 Birmingham City fc \":)\"

Big Dave

Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Id love to see the corkscrew loops over the road like the bit of colossus at thorpe park. Would be a great wow factor has you enter the park as well as a bit of history.

Kaz
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:41 am

Tbh I think it will be scrapped, metal is more valuable than ever before and therefore it is more probable. Yay for melting!

barryzola

Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:19 am

I think they should just get a big JCB from down the road to push the corkscrew down the side of the valley. Saves the effort of having to pay for someone to dismantle and transport it. I'm so clever sometimes :D

Failing that they should probably sell it as scrap apart from the loops and display that bit in a suitable place on site.

Coke
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:10 am

I would love a past rides museum, with one of Corkscrew's inversions, a swan boat etc. It would be great placed outside the park gates in a new building or as an extension to Towers Street.

Are you thirsty?

Wes
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:29 pm

Im expecting a plaque. With something engraved.

That'll do :)

I really can't imagine anything being done with the existing ride that would look taccy or out of place.

Nathan
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:39 pm

"Kaz" wrote:
Tbh I think it will be scrapped, metal is more valuable than ever before and therefore it is more probable. Yay for melting!

I'd be somewhat disappointed if Alton Towers looked for a quick buck rather than give a fantastic servant to the park one last resting place at the resort.

But here's an interesting question...

Would people rather see the iconic corkscrews remain as a memorial at the park, or would you rather see the old girl operate at another park in the UK?

Now that's a dilemma. :wink:

Sir John Talbot
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Euurgh, this is just creepy now.

It's a ride. It doesn't have feelings. It's some steel that cars run across. And if not operating, it becomes scrap metal, and having it remain lieing around the park somewhere would.. just look awful? Especially if the money it could get could go towards actual themeing to equate to a terrific ride in it's place.

I love how people seem to just be arbitrary for the sake of it. We have a removal of a ride that could lead to a significant, quality installation that everyone has been asking for and that could boost the park in many ways, yet when such opportunity occurs people want either an awful, outdated ride, or the remnants of an awful, outdated ride, to remain.

Nathan
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:02 pm

Oh don't me wrong, I totally agree with you. :lol:

I too think people have slightly over-reacted - at this rate we'll need a big box tissues to get passed around on November 9th. :P

I was just asking the question to those who feel this way.

Whilst I think Corkscrew was a bag of crap and holds no sentimental value to me, I wouldn't say no to see some sort of memorial to the ride at the park, whether it be part of the ride or a simple plaque.

It deserves at least some recognition for what it did for the park and it would be disappointing if Alton didn't give it some lasting memory just for nostalgic reasons.

Rob L
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:27 pm

I really hope Alton do something, it has been such an iconic ride and it would be nice to have something to remember it by. Keeping the corkscrews is an option if it isn't being sold, but I'm not too sure where they could be put. I definitely think there will be a plaque of some sorts.

jonathan leake
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:41 pm

Well the thing is i cant see it being sold to anouther park as they would need new trains. It would be nice if they kept the corkscrews and put them somewhere. But i think its most likely to be sold for scrap.